Menu

Math U See vs Math Lessons for a Living Education?

I am trying to decide between Math U See or Math Lessons for a Living Education for my first and second grader.  I like that MLFALE covers more topics yearly, but it is fairly new so I don't know how good the results are from it long term?  Does anyone have an opinion of either of these two programs?  Has anyone used multiple levels of MLFALE and you feel like it is strong enough?

I was thinking about asking this exact question. I used Math U see Alpha and Beta for the last two years and liked it very much but it is expensive and you have to stick with it for the long haul to learn all you need. So I decided to go ahead and make the switched this year to MFLE and it was and easy transition into level three. I don't have any long term results but it gets done without too much fuss which is great. The charlotte mason style is just what my son needed. I know this won't help much but it is my experience so far. I hope that many more people chime in with actual experience.

I have not used MUS, so I can't compare the two, but my oldest has used MLFLE 2 and is about halfway through 3. My youngest is about half way through 1.

At one point, I was supplementing my oldest with Singapore, but I have found that it was pointless as he is learning everything he needs from MLFLE. He has a solid understanding of the concepts we have covered.

MLFLE introduces place value alongside with teaching children how to count to 100, so by the end of level 1, kids have a good understanding of numbers (for example, that 73 is 7 tens and 3 ones). They also learn shapes, patterns, skip counting, addition, and a few more things in level 1. Level 2 continues to work in place value with adding and subtracting larger numbers. The way it is taught, using the place value village, gave my son a very strong understanding of why we carry and borrow. Level 2 also works on money, time, measurement, word problems, and other concepts. Level 3 introduced multiplication and division. Again, the hands on and visual way it is taught has given my son a solid understanding of the concept and we are working towards memorizing.

Level 1 is recommended for first grade; however you may consider beginning it in K. I started my youngest half way through K in Level 1.

My biggest *pro* of MLFLE is that my children NEVER complain about math.

Edited by MyLife

Never heard about this one. I had to go check it out. It looks really great! I csnnot believe I haven't seen this one before. It is so reasonably priced and feels Montessorish in the way math is approached. Neat! If our current math becomes problematic then it is one to keep in mind.