Menu

Resume help.....again......

DawnM

DH and I WAY overthink resumes.  Like for reals.......(can you tell I work with teenagers all day?)

Anyway, DH has a resume.  It looks quite good, but we don't know that it stands out.....it looks very professional, etc...

In his line of work, everything is done electronically, so no fancy papers or colors or folds or anything like that.

Here are my questions:

1. One page ok?  Preferred?  

2. Should we just pay a professional and spend the money at this point?  Or at least hire a professional to look it over?  

His current resume has gotten him calls in the past.  

We are just really bad at selling ourselves.  We know we are good at the jobs we do, but a lot of the fluff we read in online samples makes us roll our eyes and say, "Well, DUH, that is part of your job!  You also didn't do that all by yourself, we know you didn't!"

Do employers expect the fluff?

In other words, instead of saying, "I brought in $7M from outside subsidiary companies", DH would say, "I worked in conjunction with my team to solidify a multi-million dollar client based gain."

Maybe I am not wording that correctly, but you get the idea.  We downplay a bit and honestly feel uncomfortable tooting our own horns.

What do you think?  Go with the professional nice one or hire it out?

Check out resume magic.

https://www.amazon.com/Resume-Magic-4th-Ed-Professional/dp/1593577338

This may be the middle step between doing it yourself and hiring a professional.

Thanks, we have done that.....we have a book, we even had a friend who does this for a living look it over, BUT, she wasn't as familiar with his exact line of work, so it wasn't as helpful as we would have liked.

I would really like someone very familiar with his exact line of work.....

We have looked things up online, etc....

Edited by DawnM

When I uploaded my resume to Monster I was given the opportunity to request a free review of my resume. I knew they would then try to Upsell me to paid service. Their comments were very helpful. They also showed what Resume scanning software would see. I think 2 or 3 pages is OK. Good luck! Be sure to upload to professional organizations too.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The importance of limiting the resume to one page really depends upon the norm in your industry and how far along you are in your career.  Most importantly, you want to highlight your most important/impressive information as soon on the resume as possible.  Now that many resumes are read on a computer screen the one page limit isn't as important in that you aren't worrying about flipping of pages, staples, and pages getting lost.

Do you know someone who can give you honest advice without having to hire a professional?  If so, I would try that.  I think it is better if the person giving advice on the resume knows the person being advised.  If you really do not know anyone who is able to give objective input, then hiring someone may be worth it.  

• Like 1

Is your husband a college graduate?  If so, you may check with his alma mater; many schools are now providing at least some job search assistance for alums and will review a resume (I find an extra set of eyes is always helpful to check for errors and to provide input for something that an outside reader might find unclear)

• Like 1

Is your husband a college graduate?  If so, you may check with his alma mater; many schools are now providing at least some job search assistance for alums and will review a resume (I find an extra set of eyes is always helpful to check for errors and to provide input for something that an outside reader might find unclear)

I think my college stopped this, but not sure about his.  We are not local anymore though, so not sure what they offer.

I will look.  

In the old days, schools used to have a file with your resume, cover letter, and recommendation letters and you could just have them send it to places you wanted to apply to.  

Ah, the good old days of paper.

ETA:  Just looked, they require to meet with you in person.  I think it is primarily for new graduates.  This was where he went to grad school and they did help him get his first job.

Edited by DawnM

When I uploaded my resume to Monster I was given the opportunity to request a free review of my resume. I knew they would then try to Upsell me to paid service. Their comments were very helpful. They also showed what Resume scanning software would see. I think 2 or 3 pages is OK. Good luck! Be sure to upload to professional organizations too.

He isn't willing to put his resume online anywhere right now.  He isn't letting his current employer know he is leaving and they check that stuff.

But thanks.

My resume might work that way though.  I could try.

• Like 1

He isn't willing to put his resume online anywhere right now. He isn't letting his current employer know he is leaving and they check that stuff.

But thanks.

My resume might work that way though. I could try.

Also LinkedIn for networking is critical

• Like 1