Menu

Larger Washer and Dryer

Elizabeth86

I have just a standard size washer and dryer. I was at Lowes recently and was scoping out the biggest one they had lol. So tell me, if you have a high capacity washer and dryer does it wash and dry a significant amount more laundry or not so much? I kean obviously it does hold some more, but just how much more? We will soon be a family of 6 and wondering if it would help me be more caught up in the laundry department. I have seen people have 2 washers and dryers, but we dont have that kind of space.

• Like 1

It's been more than a decade since I've used anything but a high capacity washer, so I'm probably not the greatest source of comparison at this point.  Also, I only had 3 small kids back then, and now I have 5 large kids!

I can tell you that I can fit TONS of stuff in there!  I don't usually do super loads because I'm on a never ending journey to keep from falling behind, and I sort pretty seriously, so I usually have "normal" to "a tad oversized" loads.  But I can shove a <bleep> ton of bath towels, sheets, blankets, and other bulky stuff in there.

Fitted sheets, top sheets, and pillow cases from all 6 beds (1 queen, 5 twins) practically look like nothing in there.  I'd estimate that my denim loads are usually around 10 pairs of adult sized jeans and another 6-8 kid sized jeans.  I could probably fit more in there, but we might run out of jeans if I waited longer.

• Like 1

I just went into the Laundry Room to check the size of our Samsung Washing Machine. It says 14.0 KG and because it does not have an Agitator, one can put a lot more into it. My wife bought it almost 2 years ago. I believe it was installed in November 2015. She loves it... The washing machine is her "best friend"...   

Our previous Washing Machine, a low-end Whirlpool made for the U.S. market,  is now retired and has a place of honor, in the Laundry Room. It has an Agitator and that means putting less stuff into the Washer.   It was in daily service for about 20 years and it still works, but with some issues.     We live in a Tropical Valley so we do not have a Dryer. My wife had watched repair men work on the Whirlpool 2 or 3 times and she learned how to fix it herself. I doubt that would be possible with a high tech machine like we have now.  We have clotheslines in the Laundry Room where the clothes are hung to dry. If you don't have room for that, then you need a Dryer too.

Good luck with whatever you buy!   

I have a large capacity LG that was the most highly rated by Consumer Reports and I'm not impressed with how clean the clothes get and how long each cycle is. Cycles take more than an hour often close to 2. So I might go with something like a speed queen if I had the money to make another purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a large capacity LG that was the most highly rated by Consumer Reports and I'm not impressed with how clean the clothes get and how long each cycle is. Cycles take more than an hour often close to 2. So I might go with something like a speed queen if I had the money to make another purchase.

In my experience, Consumer Reports tends to put a premium on energy efficiency so the overall rating prioritizes low energy usage over cleanliness. If it takes two washes to get clothes clean, that's not efficient. I looked at the rating details and selected the ones with the cleanest clothes and an option for a shorter cycle. Some of the newer machines can take over an hour to wash a load.

• Like 1

Specifically to Washing Machines: After they delivered our Samsung Washing Machine (I think that was during November 2015) we called the Samsung toll free phone number here in Colombia, to arrange for it to be "Installed".  The man who came to our house, a couple of days later, works on both Samsung and LG machines. So, my wife asked him (in Spanish) which is better. He replied, "some people prefer Samsung and some prefer LG".  In other words, some people have issues with LG machines and some people have issues with Samsung machines and then maybe they will switch brands.

LG VS Samsung. My first comment is that our family has had no LG product that lasted a long time. Cell phone that was a Lemon, very high end TV, very high end Home Theater. We have had a lot of Samsung products over the years. From cell phones to a bunch of TV sets, to our Washing machine. The ONLY Samsung product we have that I cannot recommend is the Microwave Oven my wife bought when she went to the superstore.  We would be better off if she had purchased a different brand that day.

My personal belief is that LG tries to imitate Samsung, but that LG does not have the huge sums of money to invest in Research & Development of products that Samsung does.

ETA: I think here in Colombia that LG products (TV sets for example) are less expensive than a similar product made by Samsung and that there are more promotional offers (heavy discounts) on LG products than on Samsung products.  I suspect LG pays more for "Push Money" to the sales people and for promotions with the stores here.  

Edited by Lanny

We also have issues with our LG refrigerator. Not high end but it was the only one that fit in the space we had. I really want to redo my kitchen so i can get a new refrigerator. For now, I use duck tape to keep the freezer closed. So probably don't go with LG.

• Like 1

We also have issues with our LG refrigerator. Not high end but it was the only one that fit in the space we had. I really want to redo my kitchen so i can get a new refrigerator. For now, I use duck tape to keep the freezer closed. So probably don't go with LG.

We've had constant issues with our huge LG refrigerator also, I'm glad we have the extended warranty. That's really put me off buying any more LG appliances.

That being said, we do have the large capacity LG washer & dryer we bought after our previous Whirlpool Duet died. We haven't had any problems with them. We're a family of 8. I'm happy with the amount they hold, though the problem is me actually getting the laundry going and then put away.

I have regular capacity now (Whirlpool, only 5 of us in the home now), but for 10 years I had a high capacity washer and dryer (GE, when 8 of us were in the home). Night and day. Loved, loved, loved the GE set. Hate the Whirlpool set.

Edited by Kinsa

I just bought a new washer in January.  I bought the biggest one that fit my budget.  It can hold my king-sized comforter.  

As for whether it will help with laundry, I have five children.  I wash two or three loads of darks per week, minimum, and one or two of lights, plus a load of whites every week or so.  More of our clothes are darks than not.  A load in my washer is about three days' worth of darks.