Menu

Have you ever bought a house?

luuknam

175 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever bought a house?

• Yes
    • No

Two of them (not at the same time...moved from one to the other) both when I was in my twenties.

At 44, I'd be terrified to buy a house for the first time, now that I know all the things that can go wrong with them. Glad I got this one before I was old enough to know better.

Seriously. Buying a house is terrifying if you think about it too hard. :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Yep, three of them. At 23, 25, and 29, and we sold each of the first two to go directly to the next one. We weren't intending to buy the first one -- we figured we'd rent in our new area and then look at buying. But we didn't find any rentals we liked and happened to stumble upon a decent little foreclosure that was a steal because it was a short sale. We had been married two years, and we put our sweat equity into it and thought we were living like kings with our three bedrooms, 1.5 baths, a driveway, and laundry of our own. We moved in with our kitten, brought our baby girl home there eight hours after her birth, and sold it 23 months after we bought it, for a profit.

• Like 1

I bought a mobile home when I was 22. I was single at the time.

DH and I bought a house when I was 25. Sold it in 2005 - very profitable sale. Bought different house with earnings from first in 2005. Sold it in 2008 - lost all money made from first house and then some. Bought this mobile home in 2008 from family member. 

Yes. My first was when I was 21, though I moved into my husband's place he bought when I was 19. This is actually the first time I've ever rented, since I went straight from the dorms to his place.

Yes. My first was when I was 21, though I moved into my husband's place he bought when I was 19. This is actually the first time I've ever rented, since I went straight from the dorms to his place.

I didn't get married until I was 29.  In hindsight, I should have bought a townhouse or something when I was single, but I didn't.  We bought our first house when we were 32, I had one kid and one on the way.  

We are living in bought house #3.

I grew up in a rented apartment my whole life. Back in the early 20th century, the company my father worked for built a whole subdivision. Employees paid a low monthly rental fee and the lease was indefinite so long as the employee remained at the company, at a time when job security was high. The employee renters were responsible for maintaining the apartment and they were allowed to make home improvements. It was a great arrangement. Luckily enough for my parents, the company eventually agreed to sell the units to the employees for a really affordable price. My parents would never have been able to be home owners otherwise.

Yes with ex, but it was a veteran's foreclosure so we didn't go through the normal procedures.  That was the only one.  Dh already owned this house when we got married and I rented when I was single.

I grew up in an apartment (same one from K through graduating high school).   Since I was in college, my parents have bought three houses.  My mother always let my stepfather talk her into houses she really really disliked. 

I bought my own house before I was married when I was 25.  I actually sold that one by owner.  My DH had a house so then we refinanced, and we owned that house together for a few years.  Then we bought our current home we've been in for 14 years.  I suspect we'll be in this one another 10 and  until our kids our out of college and maybe will maybe our next home be a condo? 

We are in our one and only, which we purchased at 27/28, when we had 3 kids. We have 5 now.  We would have been on our second YEARS ago if the market was better in our area.

This is DH & my second purchased house. We bought it just over 14 years ago with one kid and heavily pregnant with #2. We have five kids now. Still love it, although it is more heavily utilized space-wise than originally anticipated. I sometimes dream of a bigger house, but I don't know where we'd find one. Besides, the kids are getting older & will (someday) move out, right? I don't see us selling this one unless DH gets a job in another town/state.

We have. We bought in 2005, lost our shirt in the recession (income dropped like crazy cakes, as well as house value). We could afford the payments, but not the maintenance and payments, so we were spending every dime on the house, but couldn't afford to replace the rotting deck, which had us lying awake at night. We short sold in 2010.

At this point, 7 years later, I am just barely able to consider the idea of owning another house. It shook us dramatically.

Nope, dh bought our current house right before we started dating 11 years ago. We are currently getting it prepared to put on the market in March, maybe earlier. I plan on staying in our next house until dh retired so it is quite stressful looking at what is available and deciding what we want

I haven't (personally), but each of my husband's have (for us). 

[WHISPER: is this sentence correct by grammar?Is it each "have" or each "has"   :confused1: ??]

I think it's "each of my husbands has", because it'd be "each has", though I'm no grammar expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, no apostrophe to pluralize husbands.

• Like 1

I think it's "each of my husbands has", because it'd be "each has", though I'm no grammar expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, no apostrophe to pluralize husbands.

You are correct. "Each" is a singular indefinite pronoun. So, "each has" is correct.