Menu

H2Orange??

Moxie

I was watching a weight loss video and the woman said H2Orange was one of her main weight loss strategies. I've never heard of this so I googled.

Basically, it is one part good orange juice to 7 parts water. You drink it all morning. The theory is that it keeps your blood sugar steady so you don't crash and eat everything in sight. It also keeps you hydrated because you're drinking 32 oz before you eat.

I can see this being helpful if you are overweight due to overeating or due to eating terrible things like cereal. It might not be so handy for someone like me with metobolic issues. But i might try it for funsies.

Anyone else drink this? According to my google search, it is pretty popular.

No, but that's because that's not something I can imagine myself doing for the rest of my life. If there's anything that can be said that all the people on the National Weight Control Registry have in common, it's that the thing you do to lose weight is the thing you'll need to do to keep it off. Is this something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life in just this way?

For example, IF may be a viable strategy for some people when losing weight, but for those who've done it to lose weight and then stopped doing it at some point, the weight is usually regained.

• Like 2

I came across this through a weight-loss program I followed.  It was part of the toolkit of the program and in itself it does nothing to help people lose weight.  (The program was called Naturally Slim and was developed in the 1970s, I believe, based on a book called The Dallas Doctors Diet.)  I don't know if H2Orange originated in that program, just saying it was a part of it.

One thing that's important is that the juice be real orange juice.  They even said not to use from concentrate because the amount of sugar can vary.

I did it while I was following the program.  The program is designed to change habits and attitudes about food and to be followed for life.  It worked while I was following it carefully, but I gained weight back when I stopped.  (As mamaraby said.)

No, but that's because that's not something I can imagine myself doing for the rest of my life. If there's anything that can be said that all the people on the National Weight Control Registry have in common, it's that the thing you do to lose weight is the thing you'll need to do to keep it off. Is this something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life in just this way?

For example, IF may be a viable strategy for some people when losing weight, but for those who've done it to lose weight and then stopped doing it at some point, the weight is usually regained.

National Weight Control Registry? What is this?

Basically, it is one part good orange juice to 7 parts water. You drink it all morning. The theory is that it keeps your blood sugar steady so you don't crash and eat everything in sight. It also keeps you hydrated because you're drinking 32 oz before you eat.

I can see this being helpful if you are overweight due to overeating or due to eating terrible things like cereal. It might not be so handy for someone like me with metobolic issues. But i might try it for funsies.

So you're drinking the orange juice/water combo in place of a meal then? So it's basically a tool to get your caloric deficit? I dunno, I could see it being difficult to keep up. What happens when you're out of the "good" orange juice? Or if you're traveling? Is this "good" orange juice/water thing going to be workable in every situation? Lots of things sound sustainable before you start and end up not being sustainable long term. So, on th one hand, you'll never know until you try it and if it doesn't work there are certainly two things that can happen - gaining the weight back or finding another tool that fits you better and adjusting accordingly.

Do I think it's magical? No. Do I think there's some special key to unlock weight loss unique to it? No. Also, there are lots of things that are popular that aren't a good fit for me so I'd dump a whole truck load of salt on claims made on popularity.

But, weight loss is always an n=1 thing and you won't know how you do unless you try it. It seems a little gimicky, tbh.

National Weight Control Registry? What is this?

http://nwcr.ws

I was watching a weight loss video and the woman said H2Orange was one of her main weight loss strategies. I've never heard of this so I googled.

Is this to replace meals or to stay hydrated and suppress snacking? I wouldn't skip breakfast on purpose. Many of the low cal drinks available now seem to be basically flavoured water, so if drinking water is hard for someone I could see this being a useful lifelong habit.

• 5 years later...