Menu

What's with the ads?

goldberry

Trash or Garbage Disposal?

I do have a septic, so I can only speak in theory, lol.
Garbage disposals kind of gross me out. I get that everything supposedly gets chopped up small enough to get washed away, but it still seems like quite a lot of potential ick for me.
Even with my regular drain and trap, I always feel like the pipes are gross and regularly shove at least baking soda and vinegar down there.

On composting, I only do it when it’s warm out. I’m way too lazy to go out in the snow or ice to handle it.  (And I have no place for an indoor holding spot.) Food goes in the trash all winter. We just try not to waste it to begin with.

We compost everything that is compostable, scrape the rest into the bin, and only rinse the residue into the sink with a garbage disposal.  I'm in the camp that believes we don't need to add all the extra stuff into our water only for more chemicals and processes to remove it. 

On 9/1/2017 at 3:43 PM, happysmileylady said:

Is the treatment plant designed to remove.....solids?  Like of all kinds?  I was under the impression that all the wastewater in a house goes down into the same sewer system, so...from the shower, the sink, the washer, the toilet....all goes to the same place, right? 

Now, don't get me wrong, I know there's plenty of things that go down into the sewer that ISN'T supposed to go, but of all the things that do, I would think that specifically food waste would be like the least offensive, cause it's organic in nature.  It's not the same as flushing feminine products, pills, etc (which of course I don't do.)  But then, you chop up the food on top of that, I would think it would be probably the safest thing going down there. 

Dh is the operator of a municipal sewage plant. Food is nothing. It’s the same digested or not. Tampons are fine if you can get them to the sewer without clogging YOUR lines.( the system is designed to grind that up) Don’t even get me started on cleaning wipes thought. 

• Like 1

If a guest in my home did that, I wouldn’t have commented, but that’s just me. DH and I usually scrap plated in trash, rinse and then load into dishwasher. We have a garbage disposal but don’t use it for large amounts to food waste.

Goodness, re reading the thread from way back when, I gave the exact same answer. Sigh. At least I'm consistent.

I always get snagged by zombie threads. You'd think I'd learn by now!

• Like 2

We used ours pretty liberally when we first moved into this 100 year old house.  But after having the plumber out a couple times, we are pretty sparse with what we put down there.  Not to mention we have a composter in the yard now which helps.  We plow a path to it for the winter.  

ETA - oops also didn't read far enough.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

Didn't realize this was a zombie thread until I was scrolling through and saw my own post from 3 years ago. 😂

• Haha 2

I'm going to revive it with a new question. My mom's town, a few miles over, recently stopped all recycling. My town may be next. If recycling isn't an option, is it better to burn paper and cardboard or send to the landfill? The burning would be done at our camp, not in the suburbs. 

10 hours ago, katilac said:

I'm going to revive it with a new question. My mom's town, a few miles over, recently stopped all recycling. My town may be next. If recycling isn't an option, is it better to burn paper and cardboard or send to the landfill? The burning would be done at our camp, not in the suburbs. 

I would guess landfill.  Both will release carbon (through rotting or burning) but burning will put particulates into the air.  But I have a woodstove and a petrol car, so I put particulates into the air every day...

The thought of putting any food stuff down the drain seems mad to me.  Isn’t that a recipe for blocked drains.

everything here gets tipped out and eaten by either sheep, chickens or dog.  Very little food goes in the actual garbage. 

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

And duh... add me to the zombie thread club 

Well, I kind of tricked you, lol 

• Haha 1