Menu

What's with the ads?

SparklyUnicorn

So which allergy drugs have I not tried?

I've tried anything OTC (pills and eye drops).  Right now on top of pills that don't work so well I'm using prescription drops that also don't work so well and the latest addition are corticosteroid eye drops (which are helping with eye drainage issues).  I'm going to an allergist next week for testing.  Is there some OTHER type of allergy pill out there that I can hope might give me some damn relief that I should ask about?  My worst symptoms involve my eye balls. 

When my allergies are beyond awful I get two different allergy meds going in the hopes that they will work together to bring me relief.  I have been told by the pharmacist that this is not ideal, but it is not harmful to me.

Alavert is always my first choice.  Dissolves instantly on the tongue and will bring almost instant relief.  Same ingredients as Claritin, so I don't take that one.  I also have this on hand in lieu of Benadryl for when I have a severe reaction to something in the garden.  

I generally have Zyrtec on hand (or generic equivalent).  This works well for me, but when I take it I have to commit to it, as the first two days I take it, it kind of makes me feel sluggish, but then after that it's fine. 24 hours, so I take it every day during allergy season.

I also don't mind Allegra.  It doesn't work as well for me as the Zyrtec, but it doesn't come with the two day fog if I think I'm going to be taking it for a while.  This is what I will take if I am going to be exposed to cats or if we are going to the zoo or someplace like that.  

For me the combo that works best is Alavert and Zyrtec.  I'll take them together for about a week at a time during the worst of the seasonal allergies.  Also, sometimes allergy meds work better if you give them time to really get in your system.  My brother takes allergy meds weeks before a known cat or dog exposure and it helps him so much more.  He also takes Singulair at the time of exposure.

• Like 1

Typically, systemic antihistamines have not helped my eyes.  I'd give up on the pills in terms of solving your eye issues.  I can't live without my zyrtec, because without it I scratch my skin off.

My experience with allergy eye drops have revolved around two different drugs:

ketotifen fumarate (sold under the brand name Zaditor) and 

olopatadine (sold under the names patanol, pataday, and pazeo--different strengths under different brand names)

Pataday just went under generic, at .2% Pazeo is .7%, and only name brand .  Pazeo is under a $10 manufacturer coupon right now, and I have found it immensely more helpful than Pataday. 

• Like 1

When my allergies are beyond awful I get two different allergy meds going in the hopes that they will work together to bring me relief.  I have been told by the pharmacist that this is not ideal, but it is not harmful to me.

Alavert is always my first choice.  Dissolves instantly on the tongue and will bring almost instant relief.  Same ingredients as Claritin, so I don't take that one.  I also have this on hand in lieu of Benadryl for when I have a severe reaction to something in the garden.  

I generally have Zyrtec on hand (or generic equivalent).  This works well for me, but when I take it I have to commit to it, as the first two days I take it, it kind of makes me feel sluggish, but then after that it's fine. 24 hours, so I take it every day during allergy season.

I also don't mind Allegra.  It doesn't work as well for me as the Zyrtec, but it doesn't come with the two day fog if I think I'm going to be taking it for a while.  This is what I will take if I am going to be exposed to cats or if we are going to the zoo or someplace like that.  

For me the combo that works best is Alavert and Zyrtec.  I'll take them together for about a week at a time during the worst of the seasonal allergies.  Also, sometimes allergy meds work better if you give them time to really get in your system.  My brother takes allergy meds weeks before a known cat or dog exposure and it helps him so much more.  He also takes Singulair at the time of exposure.

Yeah I admit I've been doing something similar (combining drugs).  It seems to help more than just taking one. 

• Like 1

Typically, systemic antihistamines have not helped my eyes.  I'd give up on the pills in terms of solving your eye issues.  I can't live without my zyrtec, because without it I scratch my skin off.

My experience with allergy eye drops have revolved around two different drugs:

ketotifen fumarate (sold under the brand name Zaditor) and 

olopatadine (sold under the names patanol, pataday, and pazeo--different strengths under different brand names)

Pataday just went under generic, at .2% Pazeo is .7%, and only name brand .  Pazeo is under a $10 manufacturer coupon right now, and I have found it immensely more helpful than Pataday. 

Right now I use Zyrtec, Xyzal, something similar to Zaditor (same ingredient different brand), and Azelastine (AND the corticosteroid drops).  And when I really have a hellish day, Benadryl. 

It's getting rather ridiculous. 

And unfortunately, I think I am allergic to my cats.  I haven't always been allergic to cats so this is something new.  I have been wiping them down daily (to reduce dander), and I TRY to keep them off my bed and that sort of thing.  I am so so SO besides myself sad about this.  I've had them for over 7 years and they were adult cats when I got them.  Not only am I very attached to them (so is my family), but I wouldn't have high hopes of finding them a new home anyway because of their ages.  So I'm hoping maybe I can try allergy injections and EVENTUALLY that would help reduce symptoms too.

Same.

Citrazine + Loratadine, with eye drops as needed.

• Like 1

If you're combining, adding ranitidine (Zantac) may help. It's an H2 inhibitor, so it's blocking s different form of histamine than Zyrtec or Claritin. It's especially good for skin reactions.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2

Well hell, I'm sorry you guys have to deal with this because I know what it is like.  Ugh.

Luckily I'll be busier because I think the thing that works best is distracting myself from how awful my symptoms are.

Sparkly, have you tried any sort of eye rinse? The Neti-pot or Neilmed bottle that rinse out the nose help me tremendously with sinus issues. I do it twice a day. I know eye rinses exist or you could just splash with distilled water. I wonder if crying would help? Eat something super spicy?

On the cat problem, keep them out of your bedroom. Just close the door. Run a hepa filter in there. It will give you a safe space.

One more idea, since allergic symptoms kick in once a threshold is exceeded check your other allergens that are "little" to see if you can reduce those exposures and get below the threshold. I'm thinking of foods mostly. But it could be dust.

I hope you find some relief soon,

• Like 2

Cats send me into anaphylactic shock these days. I used to have them as pets.   :(  I'm really sad for you.

My allergy regimen is Pazeo + Zyrtec + Fluticasone + Pulmicort, and when it's bad I add Zantac + prednisone, and when it's critical I add epi-pen + Benadryl.  

ETA: We live with all leather furniture, no carpet, HEPA filter, special mattress covers, etc.  Just changing our living environment has helped keep us out of the ER and has allowed one of my kids to go off all meds.  My other has his asthma back under control.  The #1 thing we did was get rid of our carpet (but we were already pet free).

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 1

Sparkly, have you tried any sort of eye rinse? The Neti-pot or Neilmed bottle that rinse out the nose help me tremendously with sinus issues. I do it twice a day. I know eye rinses exist or you could just splash with distilled water. I wonder if crying would help? Eat something super spicy?

On the cat problem, keep them out of your bedroom. Just close the door. Run a hepa filter in there. It will give you a safe space.

One more idea, since allergic symptoms kick in once a threshold is exceeded check your other allergens that are "little" to see if you can reduce those exposures and get below the threshold. I'm thinking of foods mostly. But it could be dust.

I hope you find some relief soon,

I don't have a door.  I know, odd, but it's a problem!  Once I have it confirmed through testing that I am allergic to cats I may try to rig something up to keep them out of my room.  I'll have to get creative though. 

I do have an eye rinse product.  It's "ok".  Nothing magical really.  I have so much swelling that my tears aren't draining properly (hence the steroid drops).  It's SO SO fracking frustrating to have your eyes heavy with tears all day long.  By the end of a day of that my eyes are so tired.  The steroid drops ARE helping with that.  Drainage is slow, but at least it's happening. 

Cats send me into anaphylactic shock these days. I used to have them as pets.   :(  I'm really sad for you.

My allergy regimen is Pazeo + Zyrtec + Fluticasone + Pulmicort, and when it's bad I add Zantac + prednisone, and when it's critical I add epi-pen + Benadryl.  

ETA: We live with all leather furniture, no carpet, HEPA filter, special mattress covers, etc.  Just changing our living environment has helped keep us out of the ER and has allowed one of my kids to go off all meds.  My other has his asthma back under control.  The #1 thing we did was get rid of our carpet (but we were already pet free).

Well I at least feel better that I'm not the only one with an insane allergy regimen!  It doesn't seem to cause me any problems (other than I'm tired a lot). 

Right now I use Zyrtec, Xyzal, something similar to Zaditor (same ingredient different brand), and Azelastine (AND the corticosteroid drops). And when I really have a hellish day, Benadryl. o.

To this I would add:

H2 anihistiame (mentioned above)

Neti pot nightly

Flonase/Nasacort either

Change out or wash pillow case daily (all bedding if you are ambitious)

Shower before bed to wash off allergens before sleep.

IF your budget would allow, have someone come in and super clean everything from top to bottom. Even just once might help you get on top of allergen exposure.

Nasal rinse and nasal spray can help eye allergy impact.

Edited by PinkyandtheBrains.
  • Like 2

To this I would add:

Neti pot nightly

Flonase/Nasacort either

IF your budget would allow, have someone come in and super clean everything from top to bottom. Even just once might help you get on top of allergen exposure.

Yeah I did the super top to bottom cleaning myself.  Probably not ideal, but I did do it.  I do the bedding thing (wash everything couple times of week and pillow cases daily). 

I don't think I need any nose anything.  My nose symptoms are completely gone with what I'm taking.  It's just my eyes.  But really it's so bad that it is starting to ruin my damn day.  Cuz I need my eyes!  Unlike my nose. 

To this I would add:

Neti pot nightly

Flonase/Nasacort either

Although aren't H2s used for stomach issues?  Like Zantac? 

Yeah I did the super top to bottom cleaning myself. Probably not ideal, but I did do it. I do the bedding thing (wash everything couple times of week and pillow cases daily).

I don't think I need any nose anything. My nose symptoms are completely gone with what I'm taking. It's just my eyes. But really it's so bad that it is starting to ruin my damn day. Cuz I need my eyes! Unlike my nose.

The nasal spray and neti pot help with the eye symptoms too. Your sinus' and eye areas aren't entirely closed systems separate from each other that's why I suggest giving it a shot.

• Like 2

The nasal spray and neti pot help with the eye symptoms too. Your sinus' and eye areas aren't entirely closed systems separate from each other that's why I suggest giving it a shot.

I hate nasal stuff though.  It gives me the sensation that I'm drowning and choking.

I know, I'm a baby.  LOL

• Like 1

Yep, Zantac is an H2 blocker. So are Pepcid, Tagamet and Axid.

Hm...I'm taking Prevacid (which I know is not that type of drug).  I just wonder if adding Zantac would be too much.  I do have a huge bottle of the stuff.

I could try it. 

I suppose what I could try is using Zantac instead of the Prevacid.  I have done that before and a higher dose of Zantac does manage it. 

Oh the sad sad SAD thing is after tomorrow I have to go off ALL allergy meds for the allergy testing.  For three days.  I'm not going to be a pretty person to be around.  LOL  Oh man...

Haven't read all replies. Yours sound a lot worse than mine, but what works for me is combining Claritin with a low dose of Benadryl. I can't take Zyrtec or Allegra because of too many strong side effects. Also, the MyPureMist thing you can buy at Target is wonderful, but I use it mostly for colds and sinus infections. It's much easier than a nettie pot and is so comforting. It would probably help with allergies, too. I'm probably not helping. Yours sound really bad. I'm so sorry!

Right now I use Zyrtec, Xyzal, something similar to Zaditor (same ingredient different brand), and Azelastine (AND the corticosteroid drops).  And when I really have a hellish day, Benadryl. 

It's getting rather ridiculous. 

And unfortunately, I think I am allergic to my cats.  I haven't always been allergic to cats so this is something new.  I have been wiping them down daily (to reduce dander), and I TRY to keep them off my bed and that sort of thing.  I am so so SO besides myself sad about this.  I've had them for over 7 years and they were adult cats when I got them.  Not only am I very attached to them (so is my family), but I wouldn't have high hopes of finding them a new home anyway because of their ages.  So I'm hoping maybe I can try allergy injections and EVENTUALLY that would help reduce symptoms too.

You are using 4 anti-histamines. 

Zyrtec and Xyzal are basically the same med. Zyrtec is cetirizine and Xyzal is levocetirizine. Levo means toward the left. The left side of the compound is the side is what works as an antihistamine.  They eliminated the right side to reduce side effects and remarked the left side as xyzal.   (online discussion about it).

~ just as a side note: claritin and clarinex are very similar too.  Claritin is loratadine, Clarinex is desloratadine. 

There is no benefit to taking them both.

If you want do double up antihistamines take

Zytec and Allegra. (Or one of those with Claritin would work too, but is generally seen as the least effective of the 3 non-sedating antihistamines.)

or take one of those 3 with chlorpheniramine (every 6 hours and can cause drowsiness)

or take one of those 3 with benadryl every 5 to 6 hours (will most likely cause drowsiness)

Personally, I would drop one of the allergy eye drops and switch to Flonase.  It is a steroid nasal spray and will help the allergy symptoms in the nose and eyes. I would take zyrtec and allegra if I felt the need to take 2 antihistamines.  If you are ok with the idea of a neti pot, use that. If you sleep with your cat, then I would rinse your sinuses in the morning.  If you cuddle during the day, rinse them at night too. 

I would stop using a steroid eye drop all the time. That isn't good in the long run for your eyes. Try to find other ways to reduce inflammation.  Cool compresses etc.

Also talk to your allergist about a mast cell stabilizer, like cromolyn eye drops.  When mast cells break down they release histamine.  The histamine is what your body is reacting too. That is why people take anti-histamines.  If you can stabilize the mast cells, they don't break down in the first place. 

• Like 4

My son takes Zyrtec, Singulair, and Pycnogenol (supplement), with Azelastine as needed. He has done the Pant whatever drops in the past for eyes. There may be better options now. As he's aged, eyes aren't typically his issue. 

You are taking a daily nasal steroid and antihistamines and still having signficant nasal symptoms, is that correct? 

No cats in your bedroom, right? No one should be in your bed unless they have showered and put on cat free/clean clothes. My son showers and puts on fresh clothes before bed. The kids don't play on his bed or in his room. We hot wash/dry his bedding weekly. He has a HEPA unit in his room. Basically, I make his sleep space as allergy friendly as possible. It really sounds like you are going to maybe have to make some environmental changes. My nephew turned ana to cat dander. It can happen, and is dangerous. When our cats passed on, it helped my son who wasn't nearly as reactive as you.

My eyes are so bad there are days when I don't want to leave the house. It's terrible. I look like I'm constantly crying, and it hits quickly. Some days I'm fine. Other days, ugh. It has definitely impacted my life.

In my case, I think it's a combination of allergies/autoimmune issues. Mine started around age 19. I've seen all the specialists, to no avail. One thing I did learn, though, is that my tears are too "thick" which leads to more tears made in an effort to clear everything out. I also have some extra eye lashes that are very close to the inside of the eye. Just a weird anomaly that leads to more irritation.

On "normal" days (I wake up and immediately can "feel" my eyes):

-clean eyes with a warm washcloth

-put in eye drops (The drops that work best for me are Patanol.)

-take Allegra

After working out, I make sure to really rinse my eyes in the shower.

On bad days:

-add Benadryl to my nightly routine

-use Visine "red eye" if I need to go somewhere and my eyes look like a mess

I try not to do this often because I've read it can exacerbate things

I also had my blood drawn and then turned into eye drops. That sounds so weird, I know, but it's a new thing. My family calls it my "blood drops." It took about a week, and I got a case of drops to keep in the freezer. Once thawed, a bottle is kept in the refrigerator, where they're good for a few weeks. The whole case lasts about 6 months, depending on how often you use them. The great thing is that there isn't a limit. If things are bad, and my eyes need drops, I can use them every 30 minutes if I want to. Since they're kept in the refrigerator, they feel so good, That's a good tip for Patanol, too, which we learned from my DD's immunologist. Keep it in the refrigerator. The coolness really helps with relieving burning eyes.

Having these made was not expensive--less than prescription eye drops.

I'd like to try Reactine. Supposedly it's the same main medication as Zyrtec, but I've read some things about it working faster. Who knows. I do know that I often react/don't react in typical ways to lots of things, so it may be worth trying.

eta: my daily is now Allegra, not Zyrtec, although I keep Zyrtec in the car in case I have a sudden burst.

Edited by Sugarfoot

I suppose what I could try is using Zantac instead of the Prevacid. I have done that before and a higher dose of Zantac does manage it.

Oh the sad sad SAD thing is after tomorrow I have to go off ALL allergy meds for the allergy testing. For three days. I'm not going to be a pretty person to be around. LOL Oh man...

I wouldn't stop your PPI without talking to doctor. I do think you can take an H2 blocker short term with it though. Check with the pharmacist maybe.

I get allergy symptoms in my eyes too. You didn't say how your eyes are affected, but here's what I've done:

I see a optometrist and she prescribed -- only when my allergies attack -- two drops:

1) Buy at Kroeger OTC for $5: comes in an orange bottle and is the generic of Zatador. (Four times a day.)

2) Steroid drops: Fluorometholone (I use these twice a day.) Steroid drops are a big deal in that you have to be monitored by an eye dr. and you can't just use them "as needed." Use them, use them up and if you need more, you'll need to see the dr. again.

The doctor gave me expensive drops last year -- $50 -- but this year I flat-out asked, "Can you prescribe a cheaper drop?" The Fluorometholone cost $10 on my insurance. I don't know why doctors always want to offer the Rolls Royce version of a med. So now I always ask for a cheaper version. The cheaper version helped just as quickly as the $50 version.

A cold wash cloth laid over your eyes as a cold compress helps a lot.

Good luck -- allergies attacking eyes is just awful.

Alley

• Like 1

I wouldn't stop your PPI without talking to doctor. I do think you can take an H2 blocker short term with it though. Check with the pharmacist maybe.

Oh he would tell me to do what I want.  LOL

I've tried to go off before (he told me to try) and it wasn't good.  So I just went back on.  I've never tried going off and replacing it with Zantac though.  I doubt it would be a problem to give that a go.

I could start by trying to see if it helps at all though (take both).  No point in going through all that if I don't even notice a difference. 

• Like 1

Zyrtec and Xyzal are basically the same med. Zyrtec is cetirizine and Xyzal is levocetirizine. Levo means toward the left. The left side of the compound is the side is what works as an antihistamine.  They eliminated the right side to reduce side effects and remarked the left side as xyzal.   (online discussion about it).

~ just as a side note: claritin and clarinex are very similar too.  Claritin is loratadine, Clarinex is desloratadine. 

Zytec and Allegra. (Or one of those with Claritin would work too, but is generally seen as the least effective of the 3 non-sedating antihistamines.) I actually respond super well to Claritin and Allegra, but Zyrtec does NOTHING for me. DH gets nothing from Claritin. It's very individual. Also, if you are taking Claritin (not sure about Clarinex), you can take one pill every 12 hours vs. on every 24. Sometimes when you're taking a million things, it's hard to narrow down what is most effective--good luck on that!

or take one of those 3 with chlorpheniramine (every 6 hours and can cause drowsiness)

or take one of those 3 with benadryl every 5 to 6 hours (will most likely cause drowsiness)

You've probably thought of this, but just in case...stagger the doses of your meds, so you don't have them all wear off at the same time. For instance, Allegra in the AM once every 24 hours, and then Zyrtec at bedtime once every 24 hours.

Personally, I would drop one of the allergy eye drops and switch to Flonase.  It is a steroid nasal spray and will help the allergy symptoms in the nose and eyes. I would take zyrtec and allegra if I felt the need to take 2 antihistamines.  If you are ok with the idea of a neti pot, use that. If you sleep with your cat, then I would rinse your sinuses in the morning.  If you cuddle during the day, rinse them at night too. Sinus rinse bottles work like neti pots but are less likely to make you feel like you are drowing. And yes, use them all the time. You don't have to use quite as much of the included salt for allergies as you do for sinus infections--my bottles have always come with instructions for maintenance vs. a cold.

I would stop using a steroid eye drop all the time. That isn't good in the long run for your eyes. Try to find other ways to reduce inflammation.  Cool compresses etc.

Also talk to your allergist about a mast cell stabilizer, like cromolyn eye drops.  When mast cells break down they release histamine.  The histamine is what your body is reacting too. That is why people take anti-histamines.  If you can stabilize the mast cells, they don't break down in the first place. I think there are also some Rx antihistamines that are mast cell stabilizers, not just in eye drop form.

:iagree: but made a few notes/commentary from personal experience.

I am sorry about the likely cat allergies. I can't live with a cat. Depending on the cat (apparently some are more allergenic than others), I can't even be in the same house as one for a visit.

It's also possible that the eye thing is ragweed. It's ragweed season, and eyes are famous for being incompatible with ragweed. The severity varies from year to year depending on if it's travelling from close or far away. 

Not remembering if I've seen this suggested yet...get good filters for your heat and A/C (3M red label is pretty good), and then change them more often than it says to. If your ducts are really clogged, you might actually need to change them a lot. Eventually the ducts will improve with better filtration, and then you don't have to change them as often. 

• Like 1

I tried Flonase.  It didn't work.  Years ago it was prescribed to me before it went OTC. 

You are right about the combo.  Does seem pointless.  Clarintin does nothing for me though.  Neither does Allegra. Honestly none of it helps my eyes much.  Fracking frustrating.  Sinus/nasal symptoms are totally controlled, but the eyes.  Ugh.  I even mostly wear my glasses now because I read allergens can stick to contacts.  I hate wearing my glasses too. 

Zytec and Allegra. (Or one of those with Claritin would work too, but is generally seen as the least effective of the 3 non-sedating antihistamines.)

Personally, I would drop one of the allergy eye drops and switch to Flonase.  It is a steroid nasal spray and will help the allergy symptoms in the nose and eyes. I would take zyrtec and allegra if I felt the need to take 2 antihistamines.  If you are ok with the idea of a neti pot, use that. If you sleep with your cat, then I would rinse your sinuses in the morning.  If you cuddle during the day, rinse them at night too. 

Also talk to your allergist about a mast cell stabilizer, like cromolyn eye drops.  When mast cells break down they release histamine.  The histamine is what your body is reacting too. That is why people take anti-histamines.  If you can stabilize the mast cells, they don't break down in the first place. 

:iagree: but made a few notes/commentary from personal experience.

I am sorry about the likely cat allergies. I can't live with a cat. Depending on the cat (apparently some are more allergenic than others), I can't even be in the same house as one for a visit.

It's also possible that the eye thing is ragweed. It's ragweed season, and eyes are famous for being incompatible with ragweed. The severity varies from year to year depending on if it's travelling from close or far away. 

Not remembering if I've seen this suggested yet...get good filters for your heat and A/C (3M red label is pretty good), and then change them more often than it says to. If your ducts are really clogged, you might actually need to change them a lot. Eventually the ducts will improve with better filtration, and then you don't have to change them as often. 

I'm hoping it isn't my cats.  : ( 

Usually my allergies are their worst from April to June and after I can even go off all meds without much of a problem.  This year, nope.  I have not been able to go off and they are worse than ever.  I don't know why so I think there is something I've suddenly become allergic to that I wasn't allergic to before. 

We do get good filters.  I have thought about getting the ducts professionally cleaned.  I wonder if that would help.  Guess it wouldn't hurt either way. 

We do get good filters.  I have thought about getting the ducts professionally cleaned.  I wonder if that would help.  Guess it wouldn't hurt either way. 

We considered it and puttered around. Then all of the sudden, the ducts were fine on their own.

Haven't read the responses, not drugs...but freeze dried nettle capsules, and sublingual methyl b12. 5 mg/day of the B12 helps me a ton, like from moderate allergies even if I stay inside to no symptoms at all even if I'm outside for an hour (as long as I stay away from the ragweed in the backyard...if I get too close for long I'll still have problems). It takes a few days to kick in.

I've tried anything OTC (pills and eye drops).  Right now on top of pills that don't work so well I'm using prescription drops that also don't work so well and the latest addition are corticosteroid eye drops (which are helping with eye drainage issues).  I'm going to an allergist next week for testing.  Is there some OTHER type of allergy pill out there that I can hope might give me some damn relief that I should ask about?  My worst symptoms involve my eye balls. 

Singulair?

My son has been on most allergy meds, usually in combination, and this is one that works well for him.

However, his eye balls aren't the problem.  He's all about the nose.  

Lastacaft really helps my allergy eyes.  I use Xiidra for dry eyes, but Lastacaft has helped the typical allergy symptoms. 

Dd uses Allegra and Nasacort.  If her hands are really bothering her (eczema) then she adds zantac.  Benadryl for really bad allergies. But, she rarely gets allergy eyes.

Talk to your eye doctor.  There are prescription options for allergy relief

Sabadil is a homeopathic that has helped dd as well

Same.

Citrazine + Loratadine, with eye drops as needed.

Yes to this for one of my kids, he was miserable. He was on singulair with the Claritin for a while, but we switched after research indicated singulair could have an effect on adolescent moods. The eye drops are key.

I personally find that systemic allergy meds are drying and with too much use exacerbate eye discomfort. I use Flonase and regular moisturizing eye drops. Allergy eye drops are also a little drying, but we are all having such burning and itching this week that I am going to add some pataday and just be sure to use regular wetting drops between doses, as well as take my fish oil and hydrate with lots of water.

Although aren't H2s used for stomach issues? Like Zantac?

Yes, when I talked to my PC about reflux issues, he actually suggested Zantac as a multi-purpose med that would be good if both allergies and reflux were troubling me at the same time.

• Like 1

I suppose what I could try is using Zantac instead of the Prevacid. I have done that before and a higher dose of Zantac does manage it.

Oh the sad sad SAD thing is after tomorrow I have to go off ALL allergy meds for the allergy testing. For three days. I'm not going to be a pretty person to be around. LOL Oh man...

Here it would mean basically three days full of hot showers.

• Like 1

I don't really get allergy symptoms in my eyes, except for possibly dry eyes with Benadryl.  A relative of mine that does swears by a $3 Equate generic pill at Walmart called ChlorTabs. He says you have to take it as directed for at least 2-3 weeks,  but after that he has no symptoms.  Apparently it has to build up in your system.  A client of his saw his irritated eyes and told him about it, and he's told several others, and swears it works.

I didn't think it helped as well as Benadryl for my allergies (which are all year round, not seasonal), but I didn't give it more than 5 days.  Maybe if I did I'd love it too.

Allergy shots. The worse your allergies are, the more likely they are to work. I started them 8 years ago, took them for 5 years, and they made a huge difference for me. Mine started working after 3 months of starting, but it can take 6 months or more for them to build up to a level that helps protect you.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

I haven't read all the replies, but this is what works for me.

I went through five and a half years of allergy shots, and I really can't tell it helped. What does help is to take allergy meds every day, even when not showing symptoms. They are just part of my nightly meds routine. Right now I use zyrtec. I used to take benadryl, but stopped because of the mental implications.

One way allergy symptoms was explained to me that made sense was to think of your body as a bucket (sorry). When the bucket gets full, you have allergy symptoms. If you can keep the bucket from becoming full, you won't get sick with symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

Incidentally, I order my zyrtec from amazon-it's cheaper. I do use name brand.

I don't really get allergy symptoms in my eyes, except for possibly dry eyes with Benadryl.  A relative of mine that does swears by a $3 Equate generic pill at Walmart called ChlorTabs. He says you have to take it as directed for at least 2-3 weeks,  but after that he has no symptoms.  Apparently it has to build up in your system.  A client of his saw his irritated eyes and told him about it, and he's told several others, and swears it works.

I didn't think it helped as well as Benadryl for my allergies (which are all year round, not seasonal), but I didn't give it more than 5 days.  Maybe if I did I'd love it too.

Chlor-tabs are an antihistamine called chlorpheniramine.  They are considered a bit  stronger than Allegra/Zyrtec but also cause drowsiness in most people. Chlortrimeton is the brand name.  

Taking them for 2 weeks and then stopping will only work if what ever you are allergic to pollinates within that window and then is donne when you stop taking it. Or if it isn't allergies, but a cold instead. LOL