Menu

Early Menopause and Hormone Replacement

Rebecca

My cousin took female hormones to replace those she lost from a hysterectomy. She developed aggressive breast cancer as a direct result, and now takes male hormones to keep it from coming back.

That's the only person I know of who went into early menopause.

Thank you for sharing!!

My own Mom took hormones for years and is now in her seventies and fine. She went thru menopause at 42 and was so miserable, she sought it out.

However, I am certainly not on the hormone bandwagon.

Apparently, I am at risk for ovarian cancer and osteoporosis as well as heart disease if I don't take hormones.

If I truly don't need to, I don't want to!!

Rebecca

I went thru menopause at 40.  By 45, I was a mess.   Thin hair, unable to lose weight, no desire to get out of bed, deeply depressed.  I finally sought out an integrative functional health doc. She does bio identical hormones. She ran a lot of blood work and urine tests.  I now have pellets placed every 3 months of estrogen, testosterone, and take progesterone compound as well as nature thyroid for my thyroid (which every doc under the sun said was perfectly normal).  She tweaks my stuff every 3 months.  It's taken a year and I almost feel like my old self.

I would not take hormones in pill form from a regular doc.  This is one case where i would seek out the "fringe" docs and let them work their magic. 

I would recommend you start looking here  to give you some background

• Like 5

There is a big difference between traditional oral estrogen (Premarin, made from mare's urine) - what is traditionally considered HRT and has been linked to increased breast cancer - and the bioidentical skin patch.  I went through menopause at 42 and have been on bioidentical patches and oral progesterone (you can also do a cream) since then. I don't have time to go into all of the medical info here, but I follow the work of an endocrinologist who specializes in menopause, Dr. Diana Schwarzbein. Her program, Menopause Power, was very informative and helped me make the decision that was right for me. There is a lot of information and misinformation floating out there. Do a lot of reading and find a knowledgeable practitioner.

My cousin took female hormones to replace those she lost from a hysterectomy. She developed aggressive breast cancer as a direct result, and now takes male hormones to keep it from coming back.

I would not take hormones in pill form from a regular doc.  This is one case where i would seek out the "fringe" docs and let them work their magic. 

I would recommend you start looking here  to give you some background

I will second the recommendation to ONLY take bioidentical hormones.  MomsintheGarden developed a GIANT fibroid cyst not very many weeks after starting to take birth-control pills (long ago).  Taking counterfeit hormones can be very dangerous.

• Like 2

I went through early menopause at 37.  Not fun, but thankfully, we were finished having children.  There is no breast cancer in my family, but the women are thin and prone to osteoporosis.  Neurological issues are also in my family - Alzheimers and Parkinsons.  My dr. put me on hormone replacement therapy, which I've been on for 10 years without any issues.  Apparently, the estrogen I'm getting is far less than what my body would normally be making at my age.  I take estradiol and prometrium (14 days per month) and topical testosterone.  I LOVE HRT!!!!  I feel normal again.  I get a mammogram every year and try to eat healthy and exercise.  Feel free to pm me with any questions you have.  It surprises me that your HRT is so expensive.  We do have insurance, but the estradiol I get at Sams Club is very cheap.   Prometrium is not expensive either.  - Not sure how much they would be with your insurance, but it would be worth shopping around. 

I went through menopause at 35 due to breast cancer. Due to the fact that I am BRCA+, I take nothing. Menopause symptoms, such as hot flashes, night sweats, and sleep problems were horrendous for about 2-5 years. Now, 7 years later, I have very few of those (although I don't think I've slept well in 7 years), but I do still deal with weight problems (life-long issue, but much, much harder to deal with in menopause), light depression, and "TEA" issues. If it were an option for me, I would consider hormones.

Thank you so much everyone.

Creekmom, great info! Thank you.

I will look into this. Did your Dr prescribe the 14 day regime/topical testosterone?

Thank you the warnings, too. All info helps me.

-Rebecca

I take the testosterone and estradiol daily - the prometrium is 14 days per month.

Another thing to consider when deciding about HRT is that the studies (that showed slight risk of breast cancer) were done on women much older than you. If you are not at high risk for breast cancer, the HRT is truly beneficial. You are missing out on several years of protective estrogen for your brain and bones by going through menopause so early.

• Like 1