Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

Great! My ds has a friend who graduated from that program last May. He chose it over Stanford.

She said if she got it that is where is is going. It is an amazing scholarship. It is just a bummer that scholarship weekend isn't until March. She will know in 2 weeks if she got the full tuition scholarship for her #1 choice. It will be hard to sit on it for 3 months!

• Like 2

Those of you with Susquehanna acceptances, did you receive your FA packet? Disappointed as we only got a $5500 unsubsidized loan :(

She got $29,000 in merit, but we were hoping for some FA as well. I hope this isn't the extent of the FA at the other schools to which she applied because I don't think she'll get more merit than that at any of the other colleges.

• Like 1

We received our Susquehanna f/a package. It was almost triple the EFC, but we expected that. Been down this road too many times. ;)

It is still in the doable column for us, though. We will have two others in college; not sure how their packages will look.

Remember that Susquehanna does not meet close to full need - it's something like 83%. You will likely see a difference in other schools, if they meet a higher percentage. But so many other factors go into it. For us, FAFSA-only schools will be the best deal.

• Like 2

2nd son only applied to 3.  So far, all admissions are in pending status.  

One of them says it is incomplete still with no transcript. I used the common app and have emailed the counselor 2 times and now 3 as of today.  I don't know what else to do.  She keeps saying she uploaded it, but uploads are fast......not 15 days later.

Frustrating.

• Like 1

Congrats to all of you!  It is so exciting to read all of these acceptances!  Dd has only heard back from one school of the 5 she applied to so far  (and has 7 more that are due by next Friday and she just came down with the killer bug that sent me to urgent care after 5 days of coughing up a lung.)  Dd was accepted to her financial safety, University of Illinois-Chicago and was invited to interview for the Honors college.  

• Like 17

My son learned today that he was accepted to the School of Engineering at Texas A&M.  He is thrilled.  He still needs enough scholarship money to get an instate tuition waiver so we are still waiting.

He won't hear back from VMI until March and he is still finishing application for the USNA and Marne Corps ROTC so we have a while to go but it is good to hear an acceptance

• Like 25

Well, he got into Hope College today.  We head to Houghton's scholarship interview this weekend. It's two days--with a discussion of a section of Augustine's City of God and a paper he wrote and a book he read.  It sounds exhausting.

One interesting thing for me is this.  In his acceptance letter from Hope it commends him for having such an outstanding academic record on top of "all he has done," pointing out what an achievement that is.  He is an Eagle scout and participates in the BSA's NYLT as staff, but otherwise I feel compared to the high flyers in our area (and on here), his ECs are relatively anemic.  I mean they are fine, but we chose not to stress him out. He climbed at a local climbing place, but we didn't make him compete, for example. He did Model UN this fall--one conference.  He wasn't in speech and debate for years or anything. He had done 3 APs before senior year (and is working on 4 more, but not 12 like some). He has no awards except AP scholar. The only year he had a summer job, was last year.

It was once again a reminder that if we pull back, a lot of us need to remember how well our kids are doing and not compare them to the driven/ over-achieving kids.  Those kids are really 1% of the kids.  They are awesome and wonderful, but not having a child like that doesn't mean that your kids is not doing great. The comment around here of "teach the kid on the couch" is one I had to hold onto with my bright, type B kid--and, I want to add--"appreciate the kid on the couch."  I feel silly saying this, because my ds is so bright and has done well, but when you are surrounded by kids going to nationals for Robotics and composing piano pieces and winning math contests you lose perspective.  I just want to encourage everyone to remember that not being in the top 1% does not mean your kid, or your homeschool or your decisions about activities is lacking. 

Anyway, now still 3 more applications to go and the long wait to find out about money. . . .

• Like 22

Well, he got into Hope College today.  We head to Houghton's scholarship interview this weekend. It's two days--with a discussion of a section of Augustine's City of God and a paper he wrote and a book he read.  It sounds exhausting.

One interesting thing for me is this.  In his acceptance letter from Hope it commends him for having such an outstanding academic record on top of "all he has done," pointing out what an achievement that is.  He is an Eagle scout and participates in the BSA's NYLT as staff, but otherwise I feel compared to the high flyers in our area (and on here), his ECs are relatively anemic.  I mean they are fine, but we chose not to stress him out. He climbed at a local climbing place, but we didn't make him compete, for example. He did Model UN this fall--one conference.  He wasn't in speech and debate for years or anything. He had done 3 APs before senior year (and is working on 4 more, but not 12 like some). He has no awards except AP scholar. The only year he had a summer job, was last year.

It was once again a reminder that if we pull back, a lot of us need to remember how well our kids are doing and not compare them to the driven/ over-achieving kids.  Those kids are really 1% of the kids.  They are awesome and wonderful, but not having a child like that doesn't mean that your kids is not doing great. The comment around here of "teach the kid on the couch" is one I had to hold onto with my bright, type B kid--and, I want to add--"appreciate the kid on the couch."  I feel silly saying this, because my ds is so bright and has done well, but when you are surrounded by kids going to nationals for Robotics and composing piano pieces and winning math contests you lose perspective.  I just want to encourage everyone to remember that not being in the top 1% does not mean your kid, or your homeschool or your decisions about activities is lacking. 

Anyway, now still 3 more applications to go and the long wait to find out about money. . . .

Congrats to you and your son.  My oldest graduated from Hope and he really liked it there.  

Don't sell your kid short.  NYLT and becoming an Eagle Scout show a deep and long-term commitment to scouts.  What more does he need?  My oldest is a type B kid.  Brilliant, but introverted.  He was a scout, but never aspired to Eagle because he saw how much "extroversion" it would require.  He did get his black belt in karate, though.  It had structure and didn't require him to initiate as much stuff.  

And it is so true that we need to appreciate the kids we have for who they are not not get caught up in comparing ourselves to the 1% (of which there seem to be a great number of on this board!)  

• Like 10

Thanks, Ethel,  Hope actually looks like an awesome fit for him.  We just need to follow the money and the fit, iykwim.

And, yeah, you are right about Eagle.  It's just that so many kids where I am (suburban NY) have that and what seems like so much more.  I will never ever regret not dragging him through more activities and APs, though.  I do need to stop selling (both of us) short, though.

• Like 5

Thanks, Ethel,  Hope actually looks like an awesome fit for him.  We just need to follow the money and the fit, iykwim.

And, yeah, you are right about Eagle.  It's just that so many kids where I am (suburban NY) have that and what seems like so much more.  I will never ever regret not dragging him through more activities and APs, though.  I do need to stop selling (both of us) short, though.

Indeed! ;)

• Like 2

GAH!

As of yesterday, UNC Asheville was still showing that we were missing a transcript.  After a few back and forth emails with his counselor, who reassured me she turned it in 22 days ago via the common app, I finally called the college.  They said it is a glitch in their system as they got a new server or new program or something and it wasn't playing nicely with the Common App and they assured me it wouldn't be counted as turned in after the EA deadline and that there were lots of applicants in the same boat.

I am glad I called and figured it out, but I am guessing our EA response now won't be quite so early.......

Anyone else have any issues with the Common App and schools receiving all the info?  I am thinking it is just the school itself that is the issue, but thought I would ask.

• Like 2

GAH!

As of yesterday, UNC Asheville was still showing that we were missing a transcript.  After a few back and forth emails with his counselor, who reassured me she turned it in 22 days ago via the common app, I finally called the college.  They said it is a glitch in their system as they got a new server or new program or something and it wasn't playing nicely with the Common App and they assured me it wouldn't be counted as turned in after the EA deadline and that there were lots of applicants in the same boat.

I am glad I called and figured it out, but I am guessing our EA response now won't be quite so early.......

Anyone else have any issues with the Common App and schools receiving all the info?  I am thinking it is just the school itself that is the issue, but thought I would ask.

Dawn, you are not alone. It is always good to check in regularly on the portal and call immediately if something is missing that shouldn't be.

We just had a problem with dd, because her last names weren't matching up. Sometimes she uses her hyphenated last name and sometimes not. A few schools had issues with that.  We've had issues with her counselor letter, her financial aid, and her SATs. Some schools are good about reaching out, but mostly, we were the ones who were on top of it.

Glad you called!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 4:30 AM, lisabees said:

We just had a problem with dd, because her last names weren't matching up. Sometimes she uses her hyphened last name and sometimes not. A few schools had issues with that.  We've had issues with her counselor letter, her financial aid, and her SATs. 

Fun and inspiring to read this thread with no senior in play - I get to wait another 5 years for the honor again.  Good luck to all!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 3

Dawn, you are not alone. It is always good to check in regularly on the portal and call immediately if something is missing that shouldn't be.

We just had a problem with dd, because her last names weren't matching up. Sometimes she uses her hyphenated last name and sometimes not. A few schools had issues with that.  We've had issues with her counselor letter, her financial aid, and her SATs. Some schools are good about reaching out, but mostly, we were the ones who were on top of it.

Glad you called!

I did email the counselor a few times, but since the school said as long as DS turned everything in on time, they would give the counseling end a couple of extra weeks, I didn't worry about it until it was definitely longer than 2 weeks' time.

Anyway, hoping it is all ok.

My dd has been accepted at the 3 she's applied to so far: University of Missouri - Columbia Honors College with full tuition scholarship so far and that will go up quite a lot if she is a NMF, John Brown University with 1/2 tuition scholarship, and Evangel University - will attend scholarship weekend in January.

• Like 20

We had some more acceptances rolling in this week: Drake, Cornell College, Luther College. He is waiting on one (but I think he needs to schedule an interview, which he has not done yet). 

He received merit everywhere, in varying amounts. Most of the schools are about the same cost with merit scholarships (and the amount we expected). He is leaning toward Loras College, but is mostly undecided.

• Like 22

Update:  I did call the counselor, who told me she submitted C's info 27 days ago, before the 15th, and she couldn't resubmit it because it won't allow her to click on the submit button again.

So I called the college and they assured me it was fine and that it was a glitch on their end and we weren't the only ones with the issue.

Two days later, I received confirmation that it was counted as on time and all was in and good.

Now......we wait.

• Like 9

We had some more acceptances rolling in this week: Drake, Cornell College, Luther College. He is waiting on one (but I think he needs to schedule an interview, which he has not done yet).

He received merit everywhere, in varying amounts. Most of the schools are about the same cost with merit scholarships (and the amount we expected). He is leaning toward Loras College, but is mostly undecided.

My husband and I are Cornell College grads, and we have lots of family and friends that attended Luther and Loras. Best of luck to him as he makes his decision.
  • Like 3

Ds has been accepted to University of North Georgia (safety), University of Alabama - Huntsville (safety, 100% tuition, thank u forum!), Oglethorpe University (scholarship weekend invite), and University of South Carolina (out-of-state tuition waived, plus some). Waiting for decisions from several other schools and planning to submit app to UGA. He would really like to go to Georgia Tech or University of South Carolina. If he gets into Tech, it may end up being the most affordable option for us because of Georgia's Zell Miller scholarship. I just really didn't know what to expect and am thankful that he's gotten in somewhere! Other than a handful of DE classes and a handful of AP's, all his coursework is unaccredited. Decent ACT scores, well-rounded kid, but no major "hook." I wish I had started following this board sooner - you are a fount of knowledge! 

• Like 24

One of my boys is waiting on two EA decisions, but neither are to his top school, so he isn't counting the days or anything.  _I_, however, will be so relieved--ecstatic, even--if they are positive.

My other son did not do any EA's.  To my dismay, his college search is being driven by the location of his female friend. (Please don't quote!)

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 6

One of my boys is waiting on two EA decisions, but neither are to his top school, so he isn't counting the days or anything.  _I_, however, will be so relieved--ecstatic, even--if they are positive.

My other son did not do any EA's.  To my dismay, his college search is being driven by the location of his female friend. (Please don't quote!)

Yes, the first acceptance is *such* a relief.

• Like 1

We have one EA that we should hear from in mid-December and another in January.  So far, my son has been accepted at University of Mary Washington ($4,000 scholarship), Emory & Henry ($20,000 scholarship), Liberty (haven't got the financial info yet), and we just have these last two we are waiting on.  He applied EA for all his schools because I didn't want the process to drag out and I wanted to have plenty of time to go and visit campuses after we knew where he was accepted because he's really not sure where he wants to go.

• Like 17

Congrats to you all!  So exciting!  I agree the forum has helped many of us in finding scholarships and helps!

I think my son is fairly confident that he will be going to Liberty.  With that being the best financial decision as well as majors and being in our state makes the most sense.  With getting full tuition and the VA in state scholarship it is looking like the best.  I am happy for him my husband and I both graduated there but it has changed quite a bit!  :(  I think if I had my way I'd send him to Pensacola or Bob Jones (which he has considered)   :laugh:  so hard letting go! 

It sure will be nice when he signs and is for sure settled...hate to rush him though such a big decision! 

• Like 7

We have one EA that we should hear from in mid-December and another in January.  So far, my son has been accepted at University of Mary Washington ($4,000 scholarship), Emory & Henry ($20,000 scholarship), Liberty (haven't got the financial info yet), and we just have these last two we are waiting on.  He applied EA for all his schools because I didn't want the process to drag out and I wanted to have plenty of time to go and visit campuses after we knew where he was accepted because he's really not sure where he wants to go.

Are you all in VA?  I noticed your schools are VA schools.  Funny we live in Fredericksburg but never considered UMW because of majors. 

• Like 1

When everyone has signed for our 2018 graduating class....we will have to start a new thread in the spring of where they end up!  I love to see where they all go! :)

Recently, there has been a separate decisions thread each year. Here's 2017, 2016, couldn't find 2015 in my quick search, and 2014 (seniors this year?). It is really interesting how the kids came down to where they were attending. 

:lurk5: [Next year, I'll be  :crying:  :ohmy:  :toetap05: , but this year I'm all  :party:  :thumbup:  :hurray: ]

• Like 6

Recently, there has been a separate decisions thread each year. Here's 2017, 2016, couldn't find 2015 in my quick search, and 2014 (seniors this year?). It is really interesting how the kids came down to where they were attending. 

:lurk5: [Next year, I'll be  :crying:  :ohmy:  :toetap05: , but this year I'm all  :party:  :thumbup:  :hurray: ]

Don't even.

This is my second year in a row!

• Like 1

Three more here. Two on the 15th; one on the 31st. The top realistic choice will be released on the 15th.

DD is waiting on two last EAs.

Lisabees... is one of those Allegheny? Just curious if that is the 15th or 30th. I heard last year someone received notice around 12/4 and another on 12/24.

Gotcha....we moved here 14 yrs. ago and LOVE it...sorry to derail.  :)

One of my best friends lives in Fredricksburg.  She works in the public library there.  Her daughter got a decent scholarship to WM

Edited by DawnM

Ds has been accepted to University of North Georgia (safety), University of Alabama - Huntsville (safety, 100% tuition, thank u forum!), Oglethorpe University (scholarship weekend invite), and University of South Carolina (out-of-state tuition waived, plus some). Waiting for decisions from several other schools and planning to submit app to UGA. He would really like to go to Georgia Tech or University of South Carolina. If he gets into Tech, it may end up being the most affordable option for us because of Georgia's Zell Miller scholarship. I just really didn't know what to expect and am thankful that he's gotten in somewhere! Other than a handful of DE classes and a handful of AP's, all his coursework is unaccredited. Decent ACT scores, well-rounded kid, but no major "hook." I wish I had started following this board sooner - you are a fount of knowledge! 

I guess I missed that discussion.  How did you get 100% tuition?

• Like 1