Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

Thank you so much for your kind words, information, and encouragement. My cousin is a biology professor at Platteville! Honestly, we didn't consider any of the other UW schools, but I think this was short-sighted, and maybe a little high-falutin' of us (me!). Ds did apply to UA-Huntsville yesterday and I'll have him take a look at Platteville today. He's interested in computer science.

The UW state schools are pretty impressive! They have honors colleges and are so affordable. We were impressed with LaCrosse, Eau Claire, and Stevens Point. We live in the twin cities and I know a number of people who did a low price undergrad at a UW with reciprocity in a honors college then were offered cheap to free grad school at Madison or u of mn tc. Many hugs. That is a hard position but the UW state school system is so much better than many and I hope you find a reasonable option!

• Like 2

The UW state schools are pretty impressive! They have honors colleges and are so affordable. We were impressed with LaCrosse, Eau Claire, and Stevens Point. We live in the twin cities and I know a number of people who did a low price undergrad at a UW with reciprocity in a honors college then were offered cheap to free grad school at Madison or u of mn tc. Many hugs. That is a hard position but the UW state school system is so much better than many and I hope you find a reasonable option!

I went to Berkeley for undergrad, and I went to law school at Minnesota. I had so many amazing classmates from UW state schools. Like who has even heard of UW Stout, right? Well he beat me on my Con Law final. I wouldn’t hesitate to send my kid to a UW State school.

• Like 5

I went to Berkeley for undergrad, and I went to law school at Minnesota. I had so many amazing classmates from UW state schools. Like who has even heard of UW Stout, right? Well he beat me on my Con Law final. I wouldn’t hesitate to send my kid to a UW State school.

LOL right!?  I know a number of genius types who got their undergrads in the UW system who went on to do crazy things in grad school and beyond.   My junior high flyer will definitely have at least one on his list as a safety besides Madison and U of MN tc. 

• Like 4

Dd just received word that she was awarded a $5000/year scholarship to University of Minnesota.  Unfortunately, with out-of-state tuition, that just won't be enough to get into the ballpark of affordable.  She is cranking out outside scholarship applications like crazy to see if we can make some other borderline schools affordable.

• Like 17

Dd just received word that she was awarded a $5000/year scholarship to University of Minnesota. Unfortunately, with out-of-state tuition, that just won't be enough to get into the ballpark of affordable. She is cranking out outside scholarship applications like crazy to see if we can make some other borderline schools affordable.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but often, outside scholarships are one-time deals and not renewable. Just something to keep in mind thinking about college years 2-4. Coupled with likely increases in tuition or fees those years as well.

• Like 2

I'm sure you are aware of this, but often, outside scholarships are one-time deals and not renewable. Just something to keep in mind thinking about college years 2-4. Coupled with likely increases in tuition or fees those years as well.

Yeah, we know that most of these are not renewable. She will have to be doing this all years. We have found some cholarhips in her areas of interest that are only available to upperclassmen.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 4

DD is accepted to the University of Washington. She also interviewed for the Space Grant scholarship there yesterday at an all day tour and sales session. It turns out that with budget cuts they don't actually have much money to give, so I kind of expect the money to go to kids with higher need than us, but they've kept their staff and all the finalists get the mentoring and research matching opportunities, chance to live in the honors dorm, etc.

Speaking of dorms, we toured my first "Disneyland dorm" experience. This place had a dining hall, study rooms, movie watching areas, recording studio, image making lab, maker space with 3D printing, laser cutting, engraving and sewing machine, ping pong, pool tables, video gaming... I was just gobsmacked!

https://www.washington.edu/area01/

• Like 20

DS was accepted at Georgia Tech! :hurray:   Excited for him.  And my thoughts immediately go to the WTM forum folks - everything we needed to know about the college admission process we learned from the generous people here.  :001_cool:

Also in at Georgia Tech this morning! 

My son, not 

Go Jackets!  Tech is fabulous.  Congrats!

ETA:  If your boys attend (as they should, of course), be sure they take a t-shirt from a school they declined to orientation (or something similar that happens right before classes start).  The admissions office has a "give one/get one" table where they take the t-shirts from rejected schools and give you a GT shirt in exchange.  They LOVE showing off all the schools kids wisely turned down to attend Tech.

Edited by plansrme
  • Like 8

ETA:  If your boys attend (as they should, of course), be sure they take a t-shirt from a school they declined to orientation (or something similar that happens right before classes start).  The admissions office has a "give one/get one" table where they take the t-shirts from rejected schools and give you a GT shirt in exchange.  They LOVE showing off all the schools kids wisely turned down to attend Tech.

Hilarious!!  :laugh:  That's awesome.

• Like 4

I've been reading through many months of posts today.

Congratulations to those with happy news.

My sympathies to those who have been disappointed.  I hope that happy days are ahead.

And my best wishes to those who wait.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 17

I hope you aren't sick of hearing from me--maybe my son applied to too many colleges.  He was covering two disparate majors, though.

We just heard he is in at Northeastern engineering.

Also heard from RPI engineering on Saturday with a scholarship--I think it was called Leadership Award

• Like 15

I hope you're not sick of hearing from me either, but I do have some good news! Ds was just accepted to The University of Alabama in Huntsville!!!! Fingers crossed for financial aid!!!!

:wub:  to this wonderful group for suggesting it. Your public and private messages of support, encouragement, and sympathy through this process have been such a blessing.

• Like 37

I hope you're not sick of hearing from me either, but I do have some good news! Ds was just accepted to The University of Alabama in Huntsville!!!! Fingers crossed for financial aid!!!!

:wub: to this wonderful group for suggesting it. Your public and private messages of support, encouragement, and sympathy through this process have been such a blessing.

How exciting!!! That was quick! How long until you hear about financial aid?

• Like 2

Ds was just accepted to The University of Alabama in Huntsville!!!! Fingers crossed for financial aid!!!!

Big congratulations to your son!

We are trying to manage a visit to Huntsville.  I thought it would be next week, but trying to coordinate a trip to the other southern schools is proving really annoying.  Three different spring breaks, days when tours aren't offered.  

He really wants to visit, but I am having trouble making it happen.

• Like 2

How exciting!!! That was quick! How long until you hear about financial aid?

I'm not sure. The email says, "You will be receiving your official acceptance packet in the mail with information regarding your student accounts and next steps within the next two weeks. " So, two weeks? This will be me waiting:  :willy_nilly:

So happy to (maybe) have an option that doesn't require a vision test!   :party:

• Like 8

Big congratulations to your son!

We are trying to manage a visit to Huntsville.  I thought it would be next week, but trying to coordinate a trip to the other southern schools is proving really annoying.  Three different spring breaks, days when tours aren't offered.  

He really wants to visit, but I am having trouble making it happen.

I sent you a PM.  I am sure my son would be more than willing to give you a tour if you were there on a day no official tours are offered.  

• Like 3

:wub:  to this wonderful group for suggesting it. Your public and private messages of support, encouragement, and sympathy through this process have been such a blessing.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

That is great news.

• Like 1

I haven't posted on this board in ages but I wanted to share that our youngest daughter got her first acceptance letter today:
UOttawa, Honours Health Sciences with (unasked for) merit-based scholarship due to her outstanding grades.

Also a refusal from UOttawa in nursing due to low grades (honestly they ask for 65%! Her GPA is 3.8/4)  We're a bit puzzled by that one. 

3 more colleges to come in.

• Like 28

There are still people here who remember me :)

I remember the super stressful wait that you and your son had a few years ago when his acceptances didn't come through until just a few weeks before school started. :scared: 

I hope your DD can sort out the issues at Ottawa, and that her other acceptances come in very soon!  :thumbup1:

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Y'all!!!!  Y'all!!! I am crying here. AROTC just approved ds's vision waiver! 

Agency: US Army ROTC
Cycle Year:2017
Current Medical Status: Medical waiver granted
D155.70 Myopia - refractive error greater than -8.00 diopters (spherical equivalent)
D259.50 Waiver Approved - AROTC

I can't even believe it. 

• Like 50

Yay, Heather! What does this mean for your DS's college options?

He originally won it back in December to UW-Madison, Marquette, and UNC-Chapel Hill. At the time he'd only been accepted to Marquette, so that's where he accepted it. Since then, he's also been accepted to Madison, but still waiting on Chapel Hill. There is a process to transfer schools, so that might be an option. Carolina is his #1. He's evenly split between Marquette and Madison. Hopefully this is making sense; just had an IPA to celebrate! ðŸ˜

• Like 15

Congrats to all the college bound homeschoolers! I look forward to reading this thread all year, and virtually celebrating with you!

He originally won it back in December to UW-Madison, Marquette, and UNC-Chapel Hill. At the time he'd only been accepted to Marquette, so that's where he accepted it. Since then, he's also been accepted to Madison, but still waiting on Chapel Hill. There is a process to transfer schools, so that might be an option. Carolina is his #1. He's evenly split between Marquette and Madison. Hopefully this is making sense; just had an IPA to celebrate! ðŸ˜

I've been following your situation, Heather! Congratulations! I'm so glad everything is working out for your family!

• Like 1