Menu

PSA: Keep your eye on Hurricane Irma

Guinevere

It's truly not about hurricane parties* or about being brave (or stupid). It really isn't.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/should-you-evacuate-for-irma-know-your-zone-first/srq8l3RHAaYV1DrOCy9jTI/

From the link -

You should not stay home if you live inan evacuation area.But if you’re not an evacuation zone, you become the problem. Emergency managers don’t want motorists stalled in bumper-to-bumper traffic as the hurricane comes ashore.

A good rule of thumb is that if you’re not in an area prone to flooding, and if your home is safe, you should not evacuate.

*I've lived in Florida nearly all of my life and have never been to a hurricane party. That's not to say they don't exist, they do, but not in my circle. People I know take storms seriously. Part of taking the storm seriously is to not become part of the problem.

Echo

• Like 1

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest craziness on social media is people saying that hotels must accept your pets if you've evacuated. Um, no they don't. I'm seeing that Gov. Rick Scott ordered all hotels to accept pets. He didn't. Or that FEMA passed a law after Katrina mandating hotels to accept pets in a disaster evacuation. (FEMA passed a law? Those people need to dig out their old Schoolhouse Rock cassette tape How a Bill Becomes a Law lol). They're apparently referring to the PETS Act that requires state emergency management services to come up with plans for sheltering pets. Sigh.

• Like 15

Dd and the grands left Port St. Lucie this morning for what is usually a nine hour drive to the Atlanta area. She's not out of Florida yet. I doubt she can find a hotel and our nearest relative on the way is in Dublin, GA. I feel bad for her.

Your folks were smart to make a hotel reservation early!

My inlaws left from Ft. Lauderdale for Tampa today. Tomorrow they found a hotel in Tallahassee. Not sure what their ultimate goal is. They were supposed to leave for vacation on Monday. They tried changing their flights but couldn't get a return flight. If it were me I would have just booked the outgoing flight and worried about my return after the storm but whatever. My niece is at FSU so they may stay there to be close to her.

• Like 2

I find that safely storing water with containers + tap is more expensive than rotating out bottled water (which we wind up using in the car, at sports, etc. anyway, because we are constantly losing refillable bottles.)  Proper containers are definitely expensive, and milk/juice containers are plain old risky.

Well, for drinking purposes, at least.  I'll use ANYTHING to be able to flush my toilets!

We have a big 5 gallon cooler for water, plus 4 different 3 gallon pitchers, plus tupperware containers, etc. WE do have some bottled water for storms as well, that we freeze, but there is no need to buy flats and flats and flats of the stuff. 

• Like 4

The latest craziness on social media is people saying that hotels must accept your pets if you've evacuated. Um, no they don't. I'm seeing that Gov. Rick Scott ordered all hotels to accept pets. He didn't. Or that FEMA passed a law after Katrina mandating hotels to accept pets in a disaster evacuation. (FEMA passed a law? Those people need to dig out their old Schoolhouse Rock cassette tape How a Bill Becomes a Law lol). They're apparently referring to the PETS Act that requires state emergency management services to come up with plans for sheltering pets. Sigh.

Social media is crazy. The misunderstanding about Zello, a post saying there are sharks IN the hurricane flying around, someone saying the meterorologist reports are a liberal conspiracy, on the flip side that Trump has weather controlling technology and created the storm, etc etc. 

It's insane. 

• Like 7

Social media is crazy. The misunderstanding about Zello, a post saying there are sharks IN the hurricane flying around, someone saying the meterorologist reports are a liberal conspiracy, on the flip side that Trump has weather controlling technology and created the storm, etc etc.

It's insane. 

I'm betting it's North Korea... or Russia... with perhaps China tossing the sharks in the "Sharkicane."   :lol:

'Tis amazing (or perhaps sad) what some folks will believe.

• Like 9

It's insane. 

I haven't seen that other stuff but Zello posts are everywhere. Like it will work without internet/wifi. 

It's insane.

My favorite one is that the government drops something in the air to create a hurricane just to make people listen. I have no idea how some breath.

• Like 7

But one has to admit... sometimes it's fun to think about inventing something similar, posting it somewhere, and seeing how many folks fall for it.  I 100% suspect that's why most creators make these things up.  Well, some probably make money off of it too... not a bad "perk" for them actually.

For better or worse, my personal ethics keeps me from trying it - esp with something like a major hurricane.

• Like 3

It's insane.

SHARKNADO!!!!!!

• Like 6

We have a big 5 gallon cooler for water, plus 4 different 3 gallon pitchers, plus tupperware containers, etc. WE do have some bottled water for storms as well, that we freeze, but there is no need to buy flats and flats and flats of the stuff. 

I see what you're saying.  I'm still a 25 gallon-for-3-days family (more than double that for 7 days, but we don't have enough room for that much, or the budget for a basement water storage tank) but I've never needed to buy it all at once.

Before clicking on one of the links, it seriously did not occur to me that anyone would buy in the mass quantities stated.  In my head, a run on water was looking like, I don't know... lots of people getting five 24 packs of typical water bottles?  A half dozen 3-gallon jugs?  Maybe because that's what people do here, before a snow storm.  I definitely didn't picture pallets worth!

(I just bought 4 cases the other day because they were on sale!)

• Like 2

Fwiw, our tap water tastes pretty nasty. The recommended storage rate is 1 gallon/day/person. 3 days of water is 18 gallons for my family. Harvey hit 12 days ago and there are lots of places along the coast and in Beaumont/Orange/etc. without water or electricity. So...72 gallons of water would've been needed had I lived there.

There was and is a 10 case limit on buying water here in TX. I don't know that people are crazy for buying 10 if they are in that cat 4 area.

• Like 2

Fwiw, our tap water tastes pretty nasty. The recommended storage rate is 1 gallon/day/person. 3 days of water is 18 gallons for my family. Harvey hit 12 days ago and there are lots of places along the coast and in Beaumont/Orange/etc. without water or electricity. So...72 gallons of water would've been needed had I lived there.

There was and is a 10 case limit on buying water here in TX. I don't know that people are crazy for buying 10 if they are in that cat 4 area.

Yes and that gallon per day includes water you cook with. It's really a privation if you actually have to use that little!

Of course, ideally everyone would stock up ahead of time and have a good filter to use after the storm passes on any suspect water. But ideally is just that.

on my facebook feed people are reporting shortages of water in their local stores. Mobile, AL and Mississippi gulf coast.

NC too.  I have been so busy between work and DS's evening activities that I haven't even watched the news.....my friend told me she went to get staples and the shelves were cleared!

It was only WED!  5 days before anything may or may not happen.

Seriously PEOPLE!  First of all, we are quite inland.  Second of all.....what????

Thanks for reminding me about water.  We have two large Coleman containers and quite a few nalgene bottles.  We will do a couple of things.....fill the tub, because if we lose power, that means we can't flush toilets.....we are on a well and if our power goes out, the pump goes out, so no water in our tap.

The tub water will be for flushing (although we can use pool water if necessary too!), and then I need to get the Coleman's filled for drinking.  

We have candles and matches, and batteries for flashlights.  I do not have a battery powered radio I don't think.

I hope the elec. doesn't go out though, I really don't want to lose all of our food in the freezer.

I see what you're saying.  I'm still a 25 gallon-for-3-days family (more than double that for 7 days, but we don't have enough room for that much, or the budget for a basement water storage tank) but I've never needed to buy it all at once.

Before clicking on one of the links, it seriously did not occur to me that anyone would buy in the mass quantities stated.  In my head, a run on water was looking like, I don't know... lots of people getting five 24 packs of typical water bottles?  A half dozen 3-gallon jugs?  Maybe because that's what people do here, before a snow storm.  I definitely didn't picture pallets worth!

(I just bought 4 cases the other day because they were on sale!)

I suspect people buying in pallet sized quantities are wanting to resale.

For Harvey, we bought 1 package of the water.  For a party last Saturday, we bought 3 packages (Feeding more people)

A generator keeps our power going if we lose it.  A generator and some filled gas cans in the garage.

Of course, we have to actually be home to use it...

We have contemplated a generator through the years, but have never gotten one.  I bet those are gone too by now! ha!

But it is fine, we will mildly prep and go from there.  I do need to see about a battery powered radio though, and charge up everything.  

• Like 1

My mother in NC went a little nuts. She bought a bunch of water. Not like a crazy amount, but I was like, mom, you have plenty of containers. Just fill one and save the money and your arms from lugging those giant things! She remembers being stuck without water or electricity for nearly a month after Fran though. At least she got instant coffee too. Her post-Fran story was that she couldn't sleep, watched the whole thing overnight, then drove to work at the hospital, past trees that were down, electrical cables that were live, streets that were flash flooded... all to get coffee because she knew they'd have electricity at her office. And then, once she drank the coffee, the caffeine hit her and she was like, wait, holy &*$%, what did I just do. It's a cautionary tale about caffeine addiction and hurricanes.

Right now we're supposed to drive home from Georgia on Monday. Guys... this is gonna suck.

• Like 3

NC too.  I have been so busy between work and DS's evening activities that I haven't even watched the news.....my friend told me she went to get staples and the shelves were cleared!

It was only WED!  5 days before anything may or may not happen.

Seriously PEOPLE!  First of all, we are quite inland.  Second of all.....what????

Well they are in the circle on the graph so guess they are nervous about losing power even though they are on the outskirts. That seems a bit extreme.

We always buy bottled water each week so it's our norm. We are running low. We just don't drink the local water. I have thought about getting a filter for the faucet, but sometimes when I turn on the bath it's a yellow color. Obviously I do use it for some things like washing dishes. I just keep an eye on the color.

If we have family come we will need to buy extra water, but I don't know if anything like that will happen.

My mother in NC went a little nuts. She bought a bunch of water. Not like a crazy amount, but I was like, mom, you have plenty of containers. Just fill one and save the money and your arms from lugging those giant things! She remembers being stuck without water or electricity for nearly a month after Fran though. At least she got instant coffee too. Her post-Fran story was that she couldn't sleep, watched the whole thing overnight, then drove to work at the hospital, past trees that were down, electrical cables that were live, streets that were flash flooded... all to get coffee because she knew they'd have electricity at her office. And then, once she drank the coffee, the caffeine hit her and she was like, wait, holy &*$%, what did I just do. It's a cautionary tale about caffeine addiction and hurricanes.

Right now we're supposed to drive home from Georgia on Monday. Guys... this is gonna suck.

Depending on the storm, you may not be going anywhere,!right? I just woke up and haven't checked the projections yet

• Like 1

Depending on the storm, you may not be going anywhere,!right? I just woke up and haven't checked the projections yet

I think... worst case scenario... we'll be in north Georgia and can go a couple hours out of our way to go home up the other side of the mountains instead of taking 85/95 back to DC. It's going to be miserable driving no matter what.

It's all dh's fault, by the way. Every time he tries to visit my grandmother with us, something disastrous happens. Usually it's a family level disaster. This is the first time it's been on this epic a scale.

• Like 1

I think... worst case scenario... we'll be in north Georgia and can go a couple hours out of our way to go home up the other side of the mountains instead of taking 85/95 back to DC. It's going to be miserable driving no matter what.

It's all dh's fault, by the way. Every time he tries to visit my grandmother with us, something disastrous happens. Usually it's a family level disaster. This is the first time it's been on this epic a scale.

Geez Louise, tell him to stay home next time.

• Like 4

Dave Barry on hurricane preparedness:

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article171702477.html

... we are in Hurricane Preparedness Freakout Mode, and one of the things we Floridians do in this mode is go to Publix and get in long lines to buy mass quantities of things we will never eat. Publix could put out a big display of cans labeled “Toad Intestines Packed In Snail Vomit†and we Floridians would snap them all up in minutes. That’s how prepared we are.

• Like 8

I think there's more than a bit of a type of "Mommy wars" when it comes to prepping for big storms. If you (generic) do more than me (generic) then you're going nuts/way overdoing it, etc. If you do less than me then you're a slacker, not doing enough to take care of yourself and your family, etc. And of course we all think we're the ones taking a common sense approach. ;)

And I'm just as guilty of that (at least at times) as anyone. I just got back from Walmart where I saw several people buying 8-10 cases of water. And that seems really over the top to me. But maybe it's what those people need to do to feel prepared.

• Like 4

I think there's more than a bit of a type of "Mommy wars" when it comes to prepping for big storms. If you (generic) do more than me (generic) then you're going nuts/way overdoing it, etc. If you do less than me then you're a slacker, not doing enough to take care of yourself and your family, etc. And of course we all think we're the ones taking a common sense approach. ;)

And I'm just as guilty of that (at least at times) as anyone. I just got back from Walmart where I saw several people buying 8-10 cases of water. And that seems really over the top to me. But maybe it's what those people need to do to feel prepared.

But for my family, that wouldn't be about feeling prepared, but actually being prepared. We are a family of 8. A gallon a day means we need 56 gallons of water, and I didn't even account for the dog.

• Like 4

After looking at the projection of Katrina 4 days out from the storm it's becoming more clear to me why people are getting ready even if they aren't in the projected path. The path was way off. Can't tell much too many days in advance.

There's a meme circulating saying that even in a disaster people don't want the vegan food. There's a section of the grocery store untouched. I don't know if the image is real.

• Like 1

After looking at the projection of Katrina 4 days out from the storm it's becoming more clear to me why people are getting ready even if they aren't in the projected path. The path was way off. Can't tell much too many days in advance.

There's a meme circulating saying that even in a disaster people don't want the vegan food. There's a section of the grocery store untouched. I don't know if the image is real.

Dave Barry bought lentils so...

The models HAVE improved since Katrina, but nothing is 100% especially with the changing weather patterns making for such a moving target. I'd be in the "better safe than sorry" camp if I lived down there.

• Like 2

The models HAVE improved since Katrina, but nothing is 100% especially with the changing weather patterns making for such a moving target. I'd be in the "better safe than sorry" camp if I lived down there.

I was mainly responding to people that are in NC stocking up. I'm thinking well I guess I can see why they might not trust the projections.

As for vegan food not being purchased, I was talking about this image floating around:

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/6xg16q/even_in_a_disaster_no_one_wants_the_vegan_food/

• Like 2

But one has to admit... sometimes it's fun to think about inventing something similar, posting it somewhere, and seeing how many folks fall for it. I 100% suspect that's why most creators make these things up. Well, some probably make money off of it too... not a bad "perk" for them actually.

For better or worse, my personal ethics keeps me from trying it - esp with something like a major hurricane.

I told my husband that Here We Go Loopty Loo was a jump rope rhyme kids made up during the 1918 influeza pandemic.

I said "all on Saturday night" referred to fact that young people got it the most...That they'd go out on a Friday night, then have all the symptoms by Saturday night and die the next day.

Way up high, down low...indicated the symptoms and delirium.

Loopty loo...meant phlegm.

He believed me and told a ton of people.

• Like 2

We watch the models and prepare, but don't believe a turn til we see it.

• Like 3

My inlaws got to their hotel in Tampa yesterday only to not have a room. The hotel finally gave her a room with a broken lock. They are up this morning trying to get to Tallahassee. She says gas is hard to find and traffic is horrible. They topped off their tank and are on back roads. Hope they make it in a semi resonable amount of time. FIL will remain cool as a cucumber but MIL freaks out at the slightest thing. It is going to be a long drive for him.

As for vegan food not being purchased, I was talking about this image floating around:

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/6xg16q/even_in_a_disaster_no_one_wants_the_vegan_food/

It is possibly true because of the price tag. For local supermarkets, vegan or gluten free food are relatively untouched due to the price differences rather than taste.

Whole Foods prices for vegan and non-vegan options are closer so people are less likely to clear out the non-vegan options since it isn't much cheaper.

• Like 1

But for my family, that wouldn't be about feeling prepared, but actually being prepared. We are a family of 8. A gallon a day means we need 56 gallons of water, and I didn't even account for the dog.

Yes, that was kind of the point I was trying to make.

We just don't know what circumstances others are dealing with and yet we judge.

The people I saw this morning were grandparent types. But for all I know they were buying enough to share with their adult kids and grandkids, or maybe they were buying extra for a homebound elderly neighbor.

• Like 4

But one has to admit... sometimes it's fun to think about inventing something similar, posting it somewhere, and seeing how many folks fall for it.  I 100% suspect that's why most creators make these things up.  Well, some probably make money off of it too... not a bad "perk" for them actually.

Actually, a friend of mine did that...posted about how you can preserve meat longer by putting it in kitty litter to dry it out. Now, I can't imagine any of his friends would fall for that, it was just a joke, but yeah. 

• Like 1

I was mainly responding to people that are in NC stocking up. I'm thinking well I guess I can see why they might not trust the projections.

That's a refrigerated aisle. The real question is, why are all these people clearing out refrigeration required items.

The vegans are probably smart enough to go buy the shelf stable tofu.  :lol:

• Like 5

I should clarify, I have no issue and am not judging if you are buying water. I am judging those that are not finding as much as they want and FREAKING OUT here, inland, in Orlando, where in all reality water will be restocked shortly after the storm. After Charley they had trucks full, being given away, shortly after the winds died down. Talk to your neighbors, maybe they have extra. Fill containers. with tap water. Do NOT post on Facebook that you are all going to die of thirst, and are writing your names on your arms, etc. In orlando.

Its not the actions it is the panic.

• Like 9

Also, almost everyone in my local area is on city water. There MAY be a boil water alert for a day or so, if they lose power but after that it is fine. Plus, people can drink seltzer, soda, juice, gatorade, etc if they can't find water. There are options. No one is going to die of thirst in orlando post storm. They just aren't. 

• Like 6

That's a refrigerated aisle. The real question is, why are all these people clearing out refrigeration required items.

The vegans are probably smart enough to go buy the shelf stable tofu. :lol:

lol touché!

We had an ice cream party out in the driveway first thing after Charley passed. "Bring out yer gallons!"

• Like 3

I lived in the Kissimmee area during Charley. It was unbelievable. We did minimal hurricane prep because it was not forecasted to hit us until it took a last minute turn.

The damage and destruction was unbelievable. If I am ever anywhere near a hurricane again, you better believe I will be stocking up on water and non-perishable food. It took days and days of toiling in the hot, humid Florida climate to free our yard / driveway / shared private road of trees / branches / debris. It takes a lot of water for the human body to be able to continue to function under those conditions. We had a well and no electricity for at least a week. 

And as others have mentioned, when seeing people buying cases and cases of water, you don't know how many people they are buying for. 5 kids, 2, dogs, elderly neighbors, friends who can't get to the store themselves. You just do not know.

And about evacuation... Yes, I would very much consider evacuating even if it has not been ordered. Because hurricanes change directions. Because the damage and destruction can be intense, even if living inland. I know. I lived it. It was bad. 

• Like 9

I love Dave Barry.

To be fair, his wife probably bought them.

I should clarify, I have no issue and am not judging if you are buying water. I am judging those that are not finding as much as they want and FREAKING OUT here, inland, in Orlando, where in all reality water will be restocked shortly after the storm. After Charley they had trucks full, being given away, shortly after the winds died down. Talk to your neighbors, maybe they have extra. Fill containers. with tap water. Do NOT post on Facebook that you are all going to die of thirst, and are writing your names on your arms, etc. In orlando.

Its not the actions it is the panic.

I just came from my Publix. They had water, bread, canned food (soup, meat, beans, etc.) and all the other stuff people were freaking out over DAYS ago. Yes, it's the panic that's hard to take.

• Like 3

My inlaws got to their hotel in Tampa yesterday only to not have a room. The hotel finally gave her a room with a broken lock. They are up this morning trying to get to Tallahassee. She says gas is hard to find and traffic is horrible. They topped off their tank and are on back roads. Hope they make it in a semi resonable amount of time. FIL will remain cool as a cucumber but MIL freaks out at the slightest thing. It is going to be a long drive for him.

Serenenity now.

• Like 2