Menu

Where do u get discounts w/ your "I'm a teacher" card? :)

Alicia64

Boy, am I slow. I just learned that if we print out the DOI (Declaration of Intent), we can use it for proof that we're teachers and can get teacher discounts.

I know about Barnes & Noble and Michaels -- but do you know of other places that honor the DOI?

Thanks!

Alley

Staples, Sweet Frog, and some others but I have to check on the district's website.

In my district in CA we got discounts on local theme parks.....and you can as a HSer at some of the theme parks in Orlando, particularly Legoland but you can also do Disney YES tickets.

Staples, Sweet Frog, and some others but I have to check on the district's website.

In my district in CA we got discounts on local theme parks.....and you can as a HSer at some of the theme parks in Orlando, particularly Legoland but you can also do Disney YES tickets.

oh no sweet frog. I will have to see of ours offers a discount.

Our orthodontist gives all teachers a 10% break.  :D

We get $10 off on our membership to the Zoo. Art museum too. Science center gives teacher free admission.  :)

The one I use the most often is $50 off for teachers and students at our nearby thrift shop.

Half Price Books gives 10% off everything. Here they stopped requiring proof of homeschooling because we don't have any, and give you the card on assertion that you homeschool.

I live in a state with no proof and was always super frustrated when I explained that our state does not have any official proof and the store would say "but people show us letters". I would have to fight for my card because others made up their own "proof". In my irritation I did explain to managers that there truly was no proof. I hope it maybe made it easier for the next guy.

At one point people were showing hslda membership for proof and field trip places thought "oh, we'll require that now". Ugh. It got straightened out but ugh.

Don't show more than required or make up proof! You ruin it for others! Know the law and be able to explain!

*falls of soap box*

• Like 2

Here JoAnns says it is only for teachers. At first they (manager) wanted to see my credentials. Then I explained that private school (which that is what homeschools are in Ca) are not required to credential their teachers and are they discriminating against private school teachers?? Suddenly I had my teacher's card just with showing my Private school ID (made at home with my trusty laminator :)).

• Like 1

I live in a state with no proof and was always super frustrated when I explained that our state does not have any official proof and the store would say "but people show us letters". I would have to fight for my card because others made up their own "proof". In my irritation I did explain to managers that there truly was no proof. I hope it maybe made it easier for the next guy.

At one point people were showing hslda membership for proof and field trip places thought "oh, we'll require that now". Ugh. It got straightened out but ugh.

Don't show more than required or make up proof! You ruin it for others! Know the law and be able to explain!

*falls of soap box*

Completely agree.

(Once at HP I forgot my card, and the guy asked if there was anything at all I could show and he'd give me the discount anyway. I pointed out I was accompanied by a school-age child on a school day, was buying a book in Latin, and was wearing an ankle-length denim skirt. The skirt convinced him.)

• Like 7

Completely agree.

(Once at HP I forgot my card, and the guy asked if there was anything at all I could show and he'd give me the discount anyway. I pointed out I was accompanied by a school-age child on a school day, was buying a book in Latin, and was wearing an ankle-length denim skirt. The skirt convinced him.)

love it.

My homeschool group gave us teacher id cards so that made it easy.

Here JoAnns says it is only for teachers. At first they (manager) wanted to see my credentials. Then I explained that private school (which that is what homeschools are in Ca) are not required to credential their teachers and are they discriminating against private school teachers?? Suddenly I had my teacher's card just with showing my Private school ID (made at home with my trusty laminator :)).

Yikes, my JoAnn barely cared what I showed them -- they gave me the card with no problem.  Now they send me a new one every year with no effort on my part.

Here I can get a discount at Jo-Ann's and Michael's on certain products, but they will not give you an actual card. You just mention it at the register. I do have a card for B&N and BAM. I made a homeschool ID at the homeschoolbuyer's co-op site I can show, but really, once you have ONE card it's not as hard to get another. I figure they see the B&N educator card and know I'm legit while I'm checking out with workbooks lol. I don't think I've ever shown my intent to homeschool form to anyone. The very first time I signed up I went in there with my homeschool planner haha. I think ds was with me and it was the middle of the day. Dh buys stuff for us too. It's easier for him I think because he has an ".edu" address.

I think I used my educator discount to get a child apron at Jo-Ann's. For Michael's the discount does NOT work on regular books. Go figure. I tried to buy a board book and had to pay full price. I guess it's more for workbooks and/or crafts maybe?

One bowling alley does a homeschool day. A couple groups go that day. I don't know if you get the discount if you go without a group or not.

My local Joann's does if you show them a copy of your county paperwork and get their teacher card. Some locals I know are unregistered homeschoolers, and Joann's won't give it to them.

Dick Blick also has a teacher program that recognizes homeschoolers. I think I had to send in a scan of my county paperwork.

Half Price Books gives 10% off everything. Here they stopped requiring proof of homeschooling because we don't have any, and give you the card on assertion that you homeschool.

I didn't know Half Price Books gives a discount. We have the private school affidavit here in California so I can show that.

We have gotten plenty of useful textbooks there for $3 and our most expensive purchase to date was $10. We also tend to shop their 20% off days sales. We are going for their Labor Day sale this weekend to hunt for some textbooks there.

Joann's here has always been easy to work with, HOWEVER, make sure the checker scans the card AFTER the other coupons or it wipes out the coupons! And then they have to wipe the entire purchase and start over---arg!

I assume most places won't let you stack discounts. It's like one or the other. Well at least I think that's how Michael's is and some other places. I know a book store (I think it was BAM) has a $5 off $25 coupon that says cannot be combined with other offers/discounts or some such wording.