Menu

Am I crazy? Would you go or not go?

Meadowlark

Before the baby, we thought the boys could take one last camping trip. We just have a popup and we got it a year ago (before surprise pregnancy) and have only used it about 7 times total. Yes, we're squished in it but it works.

So we have a site booked at a camping resort about 2.5 hours away for Labor day weekend Friday-Monday. I thought that I'd be content staying here with the girls, but now I'm not. I feel sad and think we'll be so bored with them gone for 4 days/3 nights. Plus, I feel really bad for my girls that they can't go. The weather is supposed to be beautiful 84 degrees and they have a gorgeous sand bottom lake plus it's trick or treat weekend.

But...again, it's a pop up and I have a 5 week old. Am I nuts for considering going? Camping is stressful without the baby on a good day...so I'm not sure if I'm being irrational or what. But I Just don't want to be stuck here all weekend!

So, would you go and hope that the baby sleeps and doesn't wake the whole campground up? (She's a good sleeper-usually waking up 1x to eat)

My friends think I'd be seriously NUTS to go. :-)

My thoughts would be I can do pretty much anything as normal with a new baby. I always feel great after baby and mine have always been happy as long as they can nurse on demand, but camping ittimidates me personally so I wouldnt. So if this something you could usualky handle then ok. Did that make sense? Im rambling.

• Like 1

I was going to say yes, but then this sentence caught my eye, "camping is stressful without the baby on a good day", so now I say no. Can you plan something fun for you and your girls?

I thought the same. I would go, and I have camped with a baby in a tent, but I don't find camping stressful. (But I also don't have that many kids)

If you find camping stressful anyway, I would not go.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Are the girls wanting to go?  Is there a relative/friend with additional equipment that could go, too, and help with childcare?

Yes, definitely wanting to go and they feel left out. Of course, the boys think it's cool that "just the boys" are going.

We will be next door to some friends who could help. And, my parents may come up to visit. So yes, it's not really the daytime that I'm nervous about...more the night. I don't know how she'd sleep you know? It's just hard to tell. And I"m nervous about waking up our neighbors with a newborn crying. Our experience at home though tells me that I'd feed her and she'd go back to sleep...but who knows!

A 5 week old is very portable. Bring a carrier and a portable crib with a net topper (to keep insects/small animals like squirrels out). A crying infant won't be a problem in a campground, so don't let that worry you.  

If you want to go, go.  You can make it work. Labor Day weekend will be packed and crazy busy at a camp ground.  It isn't as relaxing to me to camp on crazy busy weekends. Some people thrive on that energy though and think it is a blast to have some many people around. I guess it depends on what time of personality your have on whether or not it will be fun or stressful. 

Another option would be for your Dh to take all the kids and let you rest at home with the baby. But if boredom/loneliness  is hard for you, that is probably not a good option.

~~I am confused about it being trick or treat weekend and Labor Day though.

I thought the same. I would go, and I have camped with a baby in a tent, but I don't find camping stressful. (But I also don't have that many kids)

If you find camping stressful anyway, I would not go.

For me, camping is stressful when

1. It's hot

2. it's overly buggy

3. the food-feeding 7 people without a full kitchen and packing all of that food. Ugh.

So, it'll be nice weather but maybe a little warm. Not sure about the bugs and the food situation would be stressful because of the amount of days. If it was a shorter drive, I'd just go for a day or so.

Well, we took a beach trip when dd was 6 weeks old, with my parents and both my sisters (teens/early 20's) for help and no other kids -- plus the comfort of a 3-bedroom oceanfront condo -- and THAT was miserable, so I'd vote no.

But camping sounds miserable to me under the best of circumstances, and dd was our first, and I didn't adjust to mommyhood well at all, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I would go but I love camping. I took my youngest with us tent camping at about 3 months old, and it was fine, breastfeeding in the night and all. I did stay home with him on another trip when he was older and just walking. Toppling over into the campfire seemed like a real possibility.

The baby would not be my concern.  Not having modern plumbing for my own self at that time would be more of an issue for me.

I'm guessing you could come up with a fun girls-only plan and promise the girls camping next summer.

• Like 3

It just depends on your personality and how you are feeling about it.  I took both my kids camping as babies.  I got a mosquito net to put over a bouncy chair - that was helpful.  I actually thought it was harder with the toddling toddlers.  I remember one trip when dd was about 15 months that took a few years off my life.  LOL.

• Like 2

Yes, I would go. I've been tent camping with young babies and it hasn't been too stressful. I nursed at night and the baby would usually go back to sleep. Besides, holding or nursing the baby and postpartum recovery is a good excuse to get out of some of the camp chores and assign them to the children!

I would call around to see if (in the slim chance) you could camp closer to home and join them during the day. Or try to reschedule somewhere closer in the next few weekends. 

I would not stay home. DH and my boys camp a lot for scouts, and I always regret not joining them. 

Just a last minute thought, not sure if camp fire/smoke exposure to a newborn would be a good idea though.

I would plan something fun for you and the girls! But I'm not a big outdoorsy person. Since it's for a few days you could have something planned for indoors and an outing or two planned if you're up for it. I didn't leave the house really when my baby was that young so YMMV but I'm sure you could come up with something!

You could even do an indoor tent or make forts in the living room for the girls. Watch movies. Have yummy food. Do a sundae bar or play a game. I'm sure you can come up with something.

For me, camping is stressful when

1. It's hot

2. it's overly buggy

3. the food-feeding 7 people without a full kitchen and packing all of that food. Ugh.

So, it'll be nice weather but maybe a little warm. Not sure about the bugs and the food situation would be stressful because of the amount of days. If it was a shorter drive, I'd just go for a day or so.

If you didn't go, would your DH take care of the food? So, can't he do that even if you DO go?

• Like 6

I've done it before in a popup with a pack n play in the middle. It was so hard for he other kids to maneuver without waking the baby and I stressed about the temperature and every little noise, inside and out. I really really strongly recommend against you going.

Go, but drive separately so if the first night is awful you can come home. Tell the girls that you're only going for one night. But don't mention that if it's good you'll stay. They'll be happy to be there for one night  because they weren't expecting it and if you stay longer it'll be even better.

• Like 3

I find it stressful camping with an infant.  I'd plan to do something special at home with the girls, and let the boys have their special time with daddy. I've always wanted my dh to take the boys on their own camping trip, but it hasn't happened yet. I envision them having a really relaxing time, not worrying about put-together dinners, clean-up, washing, etc. Just do things haphazardly, which they'd love and I wouldn't.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Nope, not nuts!!  But then I'm the one who will sleep on the ground just fine and DH is the one who wants an air mattress.  ;)  My best friend camped with her babies.  Just make the accommodations you need to--whatever fits your situation.

Any way your dh and the boys could borrow a tent and sleep there next door to the popup? That way the popup wouldn't be as crowded, and the kids would have a place to go if they wanted to be "inside" while the baby napped. And the boys would have their special "boy time."

Can you take two vehicles so you'd have the option to leave early?

Yes, possibly. It's just a 2.5 hour drive. 

I'm just torn on letting the boys have their fun (which they're looking forward to) and us missing out. I guess it's also me just missing my kids because this is the first year they're in public school and I feel like I barely see them. So thinking of the first holiday weekend and them being gone is kind of sad. I'm so wishy washy...just can't decide.

You know what? I just double checked the weather. I originally thought it said 80's for this weekend, but we are supposed to get record breaking low temps of 45 for tomorrow night. And that's for where I am now, the campground is north so might be cooler. I don't think I can expose the baby to 45 degree temperatures at just 5 weeks. Right?

You know what? I just double checked the weather. I originally thought it said 80's for this weekend, but we are supposed to get record breaking low temps of 45 for tomorrow night. And that's for where I am now, the campground is north so might be cooler. I don't think I can expose the baby to 45 degree temperatures at just 5 weeks. Right?

I wouldn't. want to take a baby in those temps. Especially if the baby isn't used to those temps already. 

Sure you could do it and keep the babe all snuggled up, but honestly that makes everything way more complicated. And then you have wa more clothes and layers to deal with too..... Especially with just a small trailer.   In an RV, no biggie.  Outside most of the time...nope.

I would skip this trip and do something else instead. 

• Like 1

I'd go.  I'd bring the portacrib mattress into the tent or popup and put the baby on it right next to me, all snuggly.  That would also make nursing at night really easy.

I'd use a warm baby sleeper and bring a couple of extra ones along.

My issue would be post-partum bleeding clean up--it's often not too bad by 5 weeks though.

I would make sure to have a good camp chair with arms along--there are some that fold up.  An absolute must.

And a sling of course.

I wouldn't go, and I've camped with newborns. It's a boys weekend and they're looking forward to it, it's going to be cold, and pop ups are hard with a newborn. The first thing we did when we found out we were expecting our surprise baby was buy a larger camper that had room for a pack and play and sell the pop up.

What I would do is check Priceline for some close by hotels with an indoor pool. If you do the "name your own price" and aren't picky about what exact hotel you get, you can find some that are pretty reasonably priced. I don't know the ages of your kids, but with floaties even small ones can splash in a pool without you right there. You and the newborn can snuggle in a pool chair, then order a pizza and watch a movie and have a girls weekend. It's warm, everyone feels special, and you can check out and go home at 2 am if the baby is having a rough night.

• Like 1

The baby will be dressed, in a sling or bed or sleeping bag. She won't be naked outside. People who live in colder climes take babies out in subfreezing temperatures and just dress them warm/have them under blankets in strollers/in slings. They still spend time outside. I don't see why 45 degrees at night would be a problem - you're in a sleeping bag or bed.

I would be much more concerned about heat, because you cannot do much against heat, but you can dress for cold. Take a warm fleece sleeper with foots.

Edited by regentrude

I appreciate everyone's comments. As suspected, it's split about 50/50 :-)

We decided that the boys would go, and the girls would find some fun things to do here. I cannot breastfeed so there's the issue of bottles and bottle washing in a little pop up too. Plus, the baby was quite fussy today and I'm wondering how we would make it without the swing and all of the other things that I wouldn't have. Anyway-thanks for letting me bounce ideas off of you. I hope I don't regret it but I suspect I'll be happy about the decision every night at about 8 after I tuck the girls in bed and get to relax watching junk TV, haha.

• Like 3

Why was it going to be a boys' trip in the first place? If it was meant to be a special boys' trip, or presented to them as a just boys trip, I would not intrude with the girls and myself. I'd let them have their adventure and do something else or go camping later with just the girls for fun.