Menu

Urgent, need help--travel to Houston area UPDATE in OP

maize

My cousin, from southwest Louisiana, had been in the hospital in Houston for the last couple of weeks and died yesterday morning.  His wife had been there all alone with him through Harvey.  Their children were just on the other side of Beaumont.  There were able to get through yesterday afternoon by going north in Louisiana to cross the Sabine River and then over and down into Houston (so it would be somewhat the route from the airport into downtown Houston).  There were able to get gasoline and find a passable route.  So, hopefully your husband will not have too much trouble, especially if there is someone who is local who knows the routes can pick him up.

• Like 3

My cousin, from southwest Louisiana, had been in the hospital in Houston for the last couple of weeks and died yesterday morning. His wife had been there all alone with him through Harvey. Their children were just on the other side of Beaumont. There were able to get through yesterday afternoon by going north in Louisiana to cross the Sabine River and then over and down into Houston (so it would be somewhat the route from the airport into downtown Houston). There were able to get gasoline and find a passable route. So, hopefully your husband will not have too much trouble, especially if there is someone who is local who knows the routes can pick him up.

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin jdahlquist :grouphug:

Dh made it to IAH.

The kids and I were able to talk to MIL on the phone this afternoon to say our own goodbyes. She was mentally alert and able to talk, though with some difficulty.

She is an exceptional woman and has always treated me as a daughter and friend. I am going to miss her terribly.

• Like 9

Dh made it to IAH.

The kids and I were able to talk to MIL on the phone this afternoon to say our own goodbyes. She was mentally alert and able to talk, though with some difficulty.

She is an exceptional woman and has always treated me as a daughter and friend. I am going to miss her terribly.

I am so glad your husband made it and you were able to speak with her. I'm sorry you are going through this right now.
  • Like 2

Dh made it to IAH.

(((Hugs))))

• Like 1

Maize, how's it going?

We're OK, Dh is with his mom, dad, and most of his siblings. Two sisters were not able to make it out, but they are only a little over an hour from us so we are all getting together this afternoon to comfort each other and celebrate MIL by eating her favorite dessert--pumpkin pie.

I'm past the initial shock and not crying all the time anymore, though I started up again this morning when I read an email from one of dh's cousins. I'll post his description of MIL here because it is spot on:

"Aunt M[...] is one of the most genuine, loving, kind, patient, gentle, optimistic, and selfless people I have ever met."

Yep.

Oh how we will miss her! From the moment she met me she welcomed me into her family not just as her son's wife but as a daughter. I have never felt judged by her, and it has often been her shoulder I have leaned on to get me through the most difficult moments in dealing with my husband's mental health struggles.

I am blessed to have had her in my life.

• Like 14

We're OK, Dh is with his mom, dad, and most of his siblings. Two sisters were not able to make it out, but they are only a little over an hour from us so we are all getting together this afternoon to comfort each other and celebrate MIL by eating her favorite dessert--pumpkin pie.

I'm past the initial shock and not crying all the time anymore, though I started up again this morning when I read an email from one of dh's cousins. I'll post his description of MIL here because it is spot on:

"Aunt M[...] is one of the most genuine, loving, kind, patient, gentle, optimistic, and selfless people I have ever met."

Yep.

Oh how we will miss her! From the moment she met me she welcomed me into her family not just as her son's wife but as a daughter. I have never felt judged by her, and it has often been her shoulder I have leaned on to get me through the most difficult moments in dealing with my husband's mental health struggles.

Cry all you need to. It's cathartic. I'm glad you will have good company this afternoon.

• Like 1

This is such a beautiful tribute to your mother-in-law! My condolences to you and your whole family.

Amy

• Like 1