Menu

Urgent, need help--travel to Houston area UPDATE in OP

maize

My dear mother in law is in a hospital in Katy, TX, and the decision has just been made to move her to a hospice facility. She is going off dialysis as of tomorrow and will likely have only a few days before she slips into a coma.

My husband needs to visit, but what an awful time to need to travel to the Houston area. I don't even know where to start--will there be anywhere to stay? I imagine all the hotels are full. Should he even try to fly into houston, or maybe fly to Austin and get a rental car?

We are all so heartbroken I cannot even begin to think clearly. This was not an expected turn of events.

Update 1 Sept:

Dh made it to IAH.

The kids and I were able to talk to MIL on the phone this afternoon to say our own goodbyes. She was mentally alert and able to talk, though with some difficulty.

She is an exceptional woman and has always treated me as a daughter and friend. I am going to miss her terribly.

Update: Dh was able to visit and is now home. His mother passed away peacefully on September 5th.

Edited by maize

Gosh, I have no idea. I suppose I would probably start by contacting the Red Cross, explain to them the situation, and ask if they can assist you with lodging and transportation suggestions. Other than that, I got nothing.

I had plans to go to NYC with Trinqueta this weekend. Two flights we've booked have been cancelled and now United (the major carrier at IAH) is showing no flights to NYC until Sunday, Sep 3. Your dh could try to fly to Austin or San Antonio and drive into Katy. He may have to stay a long way away but people are trying to get back to their houses because they need to start tearing out dry wall and carpeting ASAP so hotels might not be as bad as you think. If worse comes to worst, I'd ask the hospice if he could stay in his mother's room all the time. 

:grouphug: 

• Like 2

I am so very sorry.

Maybe consider contacting your legislative representative. Perhaps there can be some assistance/accommodations made.

Are they able to talk by phone? Does your mil understand what is happening or is she unable to?

So many hugs.

Her mind is still very much alert and she can talk.

Her body is shutting down. She is making the decision to not drag out the end unnecessarily.

She has been sick for a long time, but we were not expecting this sudden decline. Just a week ago she was making plans to move across country to be close to family.

• Like 1

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  I'm so sorry.  Personally I would fly to Dallas and get a rental car.  It's still a long drive, but it's a major hub out of the storm zone so there are still reliable flights.  No idea what to do about where to stay.  I guess I'd pack a camping mat and plan on staying on the floor of the hospice room, just in case.

• Like 4

Can she stay in the hospital a bit longer? both perhaps to let storm things calm down and also because some hospitals make it possible for family members to stay in room with patient, or hang out in a waiting room, or the dining room at least long enough to get a visit in.

• Like 2

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm so sorry. Personally I would fly to Dallas and get a rental car. It's still a long drive, but it's a major hub out of the storm zone so there are still reliable flights. No idea what to do about where to stay. I guess I'd pack a camping mat and plan on staying on the floor of the hospice room, just in case.

Austin is significantly closer than Dallas, and no less reliable.

• Like 2

From San Antonio it is a straight shot into Katy on I-10 and Katy is on the West side of Houston so it is on the San Antonio side.  Easy to get to.  San Antonio airports are fully operational.  It would be about a 2.5 hour drive.  He wouldn't have to drive into Houston.  He could just drive straight to Katy.

• Like 4

OP sorry for your DH and your MIL and your entire family.  As others have pointed out, the highways from different cities into Houston may or may not be passable. There are a couple of Apps that might help you get a handle on the possibility of your DH getting from, for example, San Antonio International, which is probably what I would try for if the highways are open into Katy. Waze which also includes "Crowd Sourcing" (up to the minute data) and Google Maps. In my limited experienced, I found Google Maps easier to use, however, Waze has far more information and is in Real-Time.   See if you can plot him driving from San Antonio International AIrport into Katy and to the address where the Hospice is located.  Obviously, not a good time to try to go to Houston, but I hope that your DH will be able to visit his Mother ASAP.    I hope his mother does not suffer.

Waze:  https://www.waze.com/

Google Maps:  https://www.google.com.co/maps/

• Like 2

A 2 second glance at this URL will show you that IAH (Intercontinental) is shut down.  Probably they still have a lot of water on the runways and taxiways? Probably the same at Hobby? 

https://www.flightview.com/airport/IAH-Houston-TX-(Intercontinental)/arrivals

As I wrote earlier, if the highway from San Antonio International is open into Katy, if I had to make that trip now, I would go into SAT.  Shortest drive and the highway goes directly into Katy per a previous post.

P.S.

If/when the 2 airports have runways and taxiways that are safe for operations, I suspect they will only be open for Emergency flights operated by the USAF, or authorized by the U.S. Government.  I suspect there will be a bunch of gigantic USAF C5 cargo jets bringing huge trucks and equipment into Houston, ASAP. 

• Like 1

NO NO NO.   A lot of Katy is flooded and other areas .  She still might not be able to get there.   You guys are saying it is an easy drive.  In normal conditions, yes.  Not now.   We only live 3 hours away.  Not doable right now. 

I made that recommendation because I have relatives who live in Katy and they say that there are ways to get in and out of the West side of Katy off of I-10.  

ETA:  But yes, Maize, trying to maneuver once you get into Katy could be extremely dangerous, depending on the area he needs to go.  There are still areas throughout the greater Houston region that are flooded and still areas that are being evacuated as of this morning.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

Maize I just got an update and travel IS possible along I-10 from San Antonio to Katy this morning.  I-10 is open through there.  There are areas of Katy that are still flooded, though, so while he could get to Katy he may not be able to drive around in Katy and it could be very dangerous.

He needs to contact the hospital and other local sources to see how safe and doable it would be to get to her.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL.  :grouphug:

I live near Katy but am in Austin right now. My husband drove Austin-Katy yesterday evening, and it is definitely possible to do so today. They've reversed some of the lanes on the I-10 and other lanes still have water near Katy, but it is passable. The 290 is also open today. 

If your husband is able to book a rental car in Austin, flying into Austin and driving is his best bet. Plan for far longer than the 2 hours it typically takes, and be available by phone to check road conditions for him as he drives. PM me if you have any specific questions or if he decides to drive from Austin - I think Dh knows some people driving that way this morning - and as he gets closer to Katy I can ask Dh about the conditions there. 

I agree that you should call the hospice or hospital. They must have other patients with relatives trying to get to them and might have suggestions.

From that link Lanny posted it looks like flying in to anywhere nearby is going to be a problem. Apparently even flights to DFW, San Antonio, and Austin have been cancelled.

I'm sorry this is happening to your dear MIL at all, let alone at a time like this where getting to her side is so difficult.  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Flights in and out of San Antonio that are not tied to flying in and out of Houston are running.  I assume Austin and Dallas are the same.  You would need to check specific flights to see if they have enough planes and routes to cover your husband's needs to get into one of those cities but the airports themselves are definitely functioning.  Airlines that used Houston as a hub are rerouting flights to try and cover things but flight schedules have definitely been affected.

• Like 2

I agree that you should call the hospice or hospital. They must have other patients with relatives trying to get to them and might have suggestions.

From that link Lanny posted it looks like flying in to anywhere nearby is going to be a problem. Apparently even flights to DFW, San Antonio, and Austin have been cancelled.

I'm sorry this is happening to your dear MIL at all, let alone at a time like this where getting to her side is so difficult.  :grouphug:

IAH is apparently open for Humanitarian flights.  I watched a video from KHOU, in a baggage claim in IAH.  The man lives in Houston and had been in Brussels. He got stuck in Chicago and then was told he might be able to get onto the Humanitarian flight.  

San Antonio International, if it is operating normally, and, if Rental Cars are available for the DH of the OP, is what I would try for if I was in his shoes. 

• Like 1

This shows the  air traffic near IAH in Real-Time.  A lot of the aircraft you see are enroute, at high altitude, and are not coming from or going to IAH..  It does look like there are 2 or 3 aircraft inbound to IAH, but if they are regularly scheduled airline flights, I'm not familiar with them.  Private aircraft?  Not much activity near IAH at this time,  as you can see...

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KIAH

ETA: There is a B767 from Cincinnati that will be landing in IAH in a few minutes. I am not familiar with the code. The flight is GT12000 or GTI2000. It will land at 837 CDT.  Possibly that is a regular airline flight, but I doubt it.  Probably a Charter or Military aircraft?

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Here's info on roads:

https://drivetexas.org/

I know the roads are clearing up, but I'm not sure if you can get there or not.

ETA scroll down, click continue, then enter the address where you are trying to go.

This website has updated information for which roads are closed or flooded and where. It's only has info for highways and the interstate, not local roads but should help him get from Austin to Katy.
  • Like 1

We're looking into both San Antonio and Austin; dh's brother flew into Austin yesterday and was attempting the drive to Katy; I'm waiting to hear how that went.

That's great.  If you have information on how it is within Katy to the Hospice, that is the critical information you do not have at this moment.

I think getting from SAT to Katy will be OK, but as others have pointed out, it might be treacherous within Katy.

• Like 1

United Airlines flight is now arriving in IAH from DEN. Or, has just landed...   United flight 44 from Denver.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL44

OP: If you are in a city where United flies from to IAH, call their Reservations and ask when the first flight will be operating and say that you have a passenger traveling for Humanitarian purpose and are requesting priority for a reservation.

• Like 1

Honestly, I would not choose to fly into Houston to get to Katy under these circumstances, even on a Humanitarian flight, unless there was a guarantee that he could get from the Houston airport to where his MIL is at.  

There are a LOT of places in Houston that are in bad shape and Houston is a huge city.  Katy is not near IAH.  It would be a long and potentially impossible task to get from IAH to Katy.  Katy is on the West side of Houston.  IAH is on the Northeast side.  

Flying into and then driving from either Austin or San Antonio gets him into Katy without having to deal with Houston.  I-10 from those two cities into the west side of Katy is open.  Finding a way to safely maneuver through Katy may be another story entirely but I would much rather be trying to do that than trying to cover a good chunk of Houston to get to Katy.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 8

Honestly, I would not choose to fly into Houston to get to Katy under these circumstances, even on a Humanitarian flight, unless there was a guarantee that he could get from the Houston airport to where his MIL is at.  

There are a LOT of places in Houston that are in bad shape and Houston is a huge city.  Katy is not near IAH.  It would be a long and potentially impossible task to get from IAH to Katy.  Katy is on the West side of Houston.  IAH is on the Northeast side.  

Flying into and then driving from either Austin or San Antonio gets him into Katy without having to deal with Houston and I-10 from those two cities into the west side of Katy is open.  Finding a way to safely maneuver through Katy may be another story entirely but I would much rather be trying to do that than trying to cover a good chunk of Houston to get to Katy.

YES.   I have been rethinking the possible logistical ramifications of flying into IAH.   I came back here to post, but One Step At a Time did a very good job of it.

Lets assume there might be a flight going into IAH.  If the DH of maize was able to be on it, would his Brother be able to pick him up in IAH?  If not, are there any Rental Cars available there?  I think it might take him as much or more time, to get from IAH to Katy, as it would to get from San Antonio International AIrport to Katy.

So, I am withdrawing my suggestion about calling United Airlines to see if there are any flights from where he is into IAH.

I would go to SAT, assuming Rental Cars are available there. 

• Like 3

Her mind is still very much alert and she can talk.

Her body is shutting down. She is making the decision to not drag out the end unnecessarily.

She has been sick for a long time, but we were not expecting this sudden decline. Just a week ago she was making plans to move across country to be close to family.

Oh, maize.  That is so difficult, even without the seven extra storm-related layers of difficult.  I'm so sorry.   :grouphug:

I'm glad to hear your husband can stay with one of her church families.

Holding your MIL, your husband and all the rest of your family in the light.

• Like 1

Dh has a ticket flying into IAH as operations have resumed there. There are no rental cars in San Antonio or Austin.

Local folks assure us that it is possible to navigate to and from the airport, and someone will pick him up.

We're praying that all goes smoothly.

I saw video footage on Facebook of dh's parents' neighborhood; everything is still flooded and only boats can get in or out.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3