Menu

National Merit Question, semifinalist to finalist process

We received some wonderful news form national merit yesterday!  We are so happy and thankful!  But the next steps are a little intimidating and I really don't want to mess this part up as there is a big scholarship at ds' target school riding on this.  I started the homeschool parent section on the osa website and didn't get too far.  For example, they want to know how we calculate GPA, weighted or unweighted, only one option.  I have both on his transcript, which one more advantageous?  And I think his SAT score is high enough, but how do I know for sure?  Do these details matter that much or am I overthinking it? 

We already did his first college app and that process was easy in comparison.

If someone who has been through this could talk me through it, or talk me down a bit, I would appreciate it!

Congratulations! We're in the same boat here with dd so I'll be following with interest. I started a thread and got some advice about this a few months ago. I don't know how to link it but I'll try and look it up and see if I can.

• Like 1

Head over to the financial aid forum at College Confidential, then to the National Merit subforum. Much discussion about calculating the qualifying SAT score.

Assuming the grades are decent, I wouldn't stress too much about weighted vs. unweighted. I tend to see unweighted as the more straightforward choice, and they will see the course selection on the transcript. But either is probably fine.

Keep in mind that most NMSF are going to progress to NMF if they go through all the steps in the application. The big things that hold people back are grades below a B and a history of disciplinary actions.

• Like 1

Congrats!  What an accomplishment!  With my oldest,  I used weighted, but that is because our local high school only reports weighted grades.  If they wanted unweighted,  they could to it themselves.  Our biggest challenge at the time was getting the link to work for ds' recommender so that the LOR could be loaded in time. 

• Like 1

In the state of VA it was a high number this year in what they were predicting.  I was still pretty confident that he would get commended due to past scores and what they were anticipating and him just missing the semi-finalist number by a couple of points.... but haven't heard anything.  Will they send out letters for commended?  When will they all be out? Thanks!

In the state of VA it was a high number this year in what they were predicting.  I was still pretty confident that he would get commended due to past scores and what they were anticipating and him just missing the semi-finalist number by a couple of points.... but haven't heard anything.  Will they send out letters for commended?  When will they all be out? Thanks!

Someone said that National Merit is sending out Commended letters separately this year and they won't go out until Sept 14th. I'm not sure if we know the Commended cut-off yet, but it should be much lower than VA's cutoff score.

• Like 1

The Commended cutoff is usually the lowest state's score. As North Dakota & some of the other low-scoring cut-off states haven't self-reported their scores yet, we don't know it for sure (I think). We should know on or after the NMSF release date (Sept 14? 15?). 

• Like 1

My ds graduated ha in 2016 and was a NMF. As others have said, most will move on to finalist. Unweighted grades are fine. They really look more at the letter grade. In the past, one "C" has been able to keep some form moving to NMF (depending on the state), even if that "C" was in a AP class. It appears that NM wants to see mostly "A"'s and "B"'s. I am not sure what the current SAT score is, but usually it is not too high, especially when compared to the PSAT score needed for NM.

Also, feel free to call the folks at NM. I called them several times with questions, and they were incedibly helpful!!

Congratulations!!

Congratulations!  As others have stated, the NM folks are very helpful if you need to call them with questions. 

The only part of the process that I found confusing was submitting the transcript - I thought that I was supposed to submit the transcript that is sent out to colleges.  However, the NM folks didn't want that transcript; Instead they wanted me to create a separate transcript within their webpages.

Good luck moving on to the next level.  The process is pretty straightforward and not time-consuming at all.  The vast majority of kids advanced to the next level.  Letter grades of C or below or a confirming SAT score that does not meet the cut-off are the most common reasons for not advancing.