Menu

Homeschool Respite business?

I have this idea to start a homeschool "respite" business.  It would be a place where moms could send their child for a day or two at a time say for instance when other kids in the family are sick, or mom just needs to focus on something else, but she still wants school accomplished.  I would not TEACH as much as facilitate and oversee work being done.  Has anyone heard of anyone doing this or have any of you tried this?  I'm just thinking about all the ins and outs right now and am wondering if there are any BTDT people out there.  I have googled and can't seem to find anyone who has done this.  It may be way out in left field and not doable, but I'm just trying to think of creative ways to make an income.  I am a licensed teacher so I do have that credential as well as almost 10 years homeschooling K-11th grade.  My thoughts were to have a place, say a church, where we could meet.  Or my other thought would be to go into people's homes, although that would make it difficult if mom wanted to get things done at home and kind of negate the "sick kids" benefit.  Anyway... thoughts on this?  Do you think it would work?  What kinds of things do you think I need to consider?  Thanks for any input you may have!  I'd be particularly interested in people who have done this or know someone who has.  Thanks!

• Like 4

I have a friend who did that informally. She already did afterschool care in her home, so it wasn't a big deal to have kids around during the day while she was schooling her own. She also did overnight care for school-aged kids.

She never advertised, all word-of-mouth in her home.

At the time she was a single parent, so it was a very creative way of being able to stay where she was and continue homeschooling.

• Like 2

What a lovely idea! Good luck!

If it is just "temp-ing" or "subbing", then you may not fall under your state's regulations about whether or not someone other than the parent is legally allowed to homeschool a child -- it may fall more under the heading of tutoring -- but that might be something to look into.

If the location is your home, you may fall under daycare regulations, so you'd need to look into that. You'd also want to look into insurance, to cover potential damages.

If the location is not your home, there will likely be a per-hour rental fee, and almost certainly an insurance fee. That alone might eat up any profit you might earn. Even finding a church location has become increasingly difficult for doing a weekly co-op class (just me, not a whole series of classes), due to churches having to charge insurance fees, cleaning fees, rental fees. Also, sadly, some churches are just not able to open their doors freely anymore, due to fears that if they open to non-church ministry events and non-church members for some things, that they could be sued and forced to open their doors to non-church events that are actually antithetical to church beliefs and doctrine.

And, while it's extremely unlikely, since I've done summer camps with foster kids and there are extremely strict "2-deep" policies (always a minimum of 2 adults with any child at all times, to prevent any abuse (adult/child or child/child), or prevent any false accusations), I've realized that it is probably a good idea to have something similar in my homeschool co-op classes. You might even more want some sort of policy in place (i.e., a second responsible adult on-site) if families are dropping off their children to you at a location outside of home. It's also just a good idea in case you are overseeing more than 1 child, and there is some sort of accident or injury that needs to be addressed  and still having supervision of the other children.

As you suggested, going to the family's home would make it more like a babysitting gig or "mother's helper" with some tutoring thrown in, which would probably eliminate all of the potential problems I just listed above. Also, going to the family's house would be an added benefit for the parent, who wouldn't have to load up all the kids and drive to you.

Just brainstorming! BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- you asked if anyone has done something like this:

A few times in high school, we had different families who had sons of similar ages to our DSs, and the parents took off for a week trip, while the kids stayed with us, or visited several different families over the week, and I oversaw their homeschool work, shuttled the kids around to their lessons and events with our DSs, and then the boys all hung out together after school was done for a sleep-over. It was fun for all of us. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6

Wow, thank you to everyone who responded!  Some great things to consider.  Maybe the home idea isn't looking so bad! ;-)  It's so nice to get input.  I'd love anything more anybody has to say.... thank you so much to those who took the time to respond!  I'm taking notes!  I know when my 4 kids were younger if this was available I would have used it!  Trick is to be affordable enough people want to take advantage of it and yet enough money to make it worth it.  I would make $130 subbing in the local school district... that would not be possible doing "in home".  

A month ago I received a Grand Jury Duty Summons and my initial request for excusal was denied. I was going to have to serve 12 days and I had no idea what to do with my boys. At 9 and 11, they are too young to stay by themselves all day and too old for drop in daycare. I would have paid well to have someone ensure they weren't on their iPads or watching tv all day, and schoolwork would have been a bonus. I would have preferred, also, if the care was in my home. Luckily, my second request where I literally begged to be excused was granted.

I think there are plenty of times people would consider using a home-school sub. I know I would.

• Like 2

A few years back I noticed a local church (I'm not sure which one, so the details are fuzzy and I can't look it up) was advertising that in their little mother's morning out/preschool they had opened an older kids' room for homeschooled kids. As I recall, parents were to send kids with enough work to work or read independently for two or three hours, while an adult in the room was there to keep kids on task and help if they got stuck. Then they had group activity and lunch. I think there were rules about how often they could come, like twice a week maximum. I wish I could remember which church so I could look up and see how it has worked out for them.

All that to say, if you find a church with an established preschool, maybe you can join in that way.

• Like 4

If you do word by mouth and just basically babysit the kids and help when they are stuck it seems much the same as me paying my neighbour to watch my son at her place while I work. Although having someone come and watch the kids is bliss when I am really sick - maybe that would be another opportunity.

I think it's a great idea.

Except (you knew there would be one, right?), I feel like most moms would use this -- or need this -- with kids who are too young to work independently, which would mean you would be doing far more than merely "supervising" their work... you would need to teach it, and that would be awfully hard if they use materials, or methods, or have needs, that you aren't familiar with. KWIM?

Maybe a sick kids' childcare drop off, though? Where you take in the sick kiddos, cuddle them and spoil them at your house, so that mom can get done with her other kids, at home, what she needs to get done.

But, seriously, just having childcare available -- never mind getting school work done -- by somebody who is as qualified as you are, and available DURING THE DAY, would be worth the money to me. Our only reliable sitters aren't available during the day -- and with two special needs younger kids, my teenager can really only handle one at a time. I would pay (and pay well) for a former teacher to come just sit and play with the boys when I have appointments :P 

Edited by AimeeM

Sounds a lot like a drop in nursery, except for older kids. I like the idea of piggybacking on a church preschool program. Do an annual registration fee so that you get paid to do the admin stuff of vaccination checks and getting a time and billing system set up. I'd totally be all over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, seriously, just having childcare available -- never mind getting school work done -- by somebody who is as qualified as you are, and available DURING THE DAY, would be worth the money to me. Our only reliable sitters aren't available during the day -- and with two special needs younger kids, my teenager can really only handle one at a time. I would pay (and pay well) for a former teacher to come just sit and play with the boys when I have appointments :P

EXACTLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a sick kids' childcare drop off, though? Where you take in the sick kiddos, cuddle them and spoil them at your house, so that mom can get done with her other kids, at home, what she needs to get done.

I can't imagine there will be a market for this. Mothers would want to keep their sick kids home, kids may be too sick to be transported, and people would not want to send them to a place where there will be other sick kids so they can exchange germs. Plus, liability issues will be huge for an operation like this - what if illness gets  more severe? requires emergency attention?

I could only see this as a service of last resort for working parents who must get to their job and cannot stay home with a sick child; a homeschool can just pause when there is sickness in the house.

I think the plan of caring for healthy kids has more promise.

Edited by regentrude

I can't imagine there will be a market for this. Mothers would want to keep their sick kids home, kids may be too sick to be transported, and people would not want to send them to a place where there will be other sick kids so they can exchange germs. Plus, liability issues will be huge for an operation like this - what if illness gets  more severe? requires emergency attention?

I could only see this as a service of last resort for working parents who must get to their job and cannot stay home with a sick child; a homeschool can just pause when there is sickness in the house.

I think the plan of caring for healthy kids has more promise.

nm

Edited by AimeeM