Menu

Lego Mindstorm vs Boost vs WeDo 2.0

Does anybody here have extensive experience with one or more of these that they'd like to share? DS8 decided a year ago to start saving for a Mindstorm, but they are mighty expensive. He has enough at this point for either a Boost or a WeDo and I'm leaning towards getting one of those, but we don't have a tablet or device compatible with the boost app requirements and DH is concerned the WeDo won't keep him engaged for very long to continue to engage and challenge (since most of the plans are geared towards ages 6-9, according to online sources). I've been told he's too young for a Mindstorm right now, though, which is another reason I'm leaning towards WeDo (or boost if we could find an inexpensive tablet that meets the requirements). For reference purposes, he did great at a WeDo camp this summer and built the Millenium Falcoln (1300 pieces, rec ages 9-14) independently about a year and a half ago at the age of 6.5 and he has a number of power function parts already that he likes to use to make cars and such. I'd love to hear thoughts from the hive! :)

Edited by 4kookiekids
  • Like 1

I'm having a similar problem. DS has wanted Mindsorm for years but I told him to wait because it looks too complicated. He's a whiz with sets but I wasn't sure about Mindstorm. We don't know anything about WeDo but he really wants Boost. I'm so disappointed that it's not compatible with our old iPhones or Kindle Fire. I really don't want to have to get something else just to use it.

I always recommend Edison robots when someone is looking for programmable, Lego compatible robots (meetedison.com).  They are inexpensive, work with Kindle Fires and iPhones, and can be programmed with two different drag-and-drop softwares (one based on Scratch) or a program based on Python.   They can be used by younger kids with bar codes and Scratch programming, but still be interesting for older kids who can use the Python programming.

Just another option.

• Like 1

I always recommend Edison robots when someone is looking for programmable, Lego compatible robots (meetedison.com).  They are inexpensive, work with Kindle Fires and iPhones, and can be programmed with two different drag-and-drop softwares (one based on Scratch) or a program based on Python.   They can be used by younger kids with bar codes and Scratch programming, but still be interesting for older kids who can use the Python programming.

Just another option.

Could you tell me more about these please? I've never heard of them, but they look great!! How long have you used them? And do you find you still move on to the mindstorm eventually, or do you stick with these? Does it have to be corded to run your own programs? (That wasn't 100% clear from the site.)

Edited by 4kookiekids

We have these for my 4-H Club.  They have multiple sensors so they can detect obstacles, follow a line, stay within borders, follow a flashlight, react to clapping, and can be programmed with a tv remote control.  Those can all be done using bar codes that are provided in the activity sheets.   The remote controls don't work well with a group  :rolleyes:  we kept getting our signals crossed.  

They have three different ways to program them - their own EdWare that is drag-and-drop, EdBlocks which is based on Scratch, and EdPy which is based on Python.  I've used the EdWare and the EdBlocks.  I'm waiting on their lesson plans for EdPy, which they expect to have out in October.  

There lesson plans are really great and easy to use.   Teaches about the robots and how they work in a really good step-by-step way.

I've done afterschool enrichment classes for a company using Ozobots and Dot & Dash, and I like the Edisons better.  Not as baby-ish and they will last a lot longer given all the different ways they can be worked with.

I don't have any connection with the company, I just really like them and it seems a lot of people don't know about them.  They are so much more affordable than many of the other options, especially since they'll work with Fire Tablets.

• Like 1

We have these for my 4-H Club.  They have multiple sensors so they can detect obstacles, follow a line, stay within borders, follow a flashlight, react to clapping, and can be programmed with a tv remote control.  Those can all be done using bar codes that are provided in the activity sheets.   The remote controls don't work well with a group  :rolleyes:  we kept getting our signals crossed.  

They have three different ways to program them - their own EdWare that is drag-and-drop, EdBlocks which is based on Scratch, and EdPy which is based on Python.  I've used the EdWare and the EdBlocks.  I'm waiting on their lesson plans for EdPy, which they expect to have out in October.  

There lesson plans are really great and easy to use.   Teaches about the robots and how they work in a really good step-by-step way.

I've done afterschool enrichment classes for a company using Ozobots and Dot & Dash, and I like the Edisons better.  Not as baby-ish and they will last a lot longer given all the different ways they can be worked with.

I don't have any connection with the company, I just really like them and it seems a lot of people don't know about them.  They are so much more affordable than many of the other options, especially since they'll work with Fire Tablets.

Yes, these sound so great! My son is so excited about them already and is already designing his own BattleBots in anticipation of getting these. :) Thank you so much for letting me know about them!!

Yes, these sound so great! My son is so excited about them already and is already designing his own BattleBots in anticipation of getting these. :) Thank you so much for letting me know about them!!

we also have ozobots, edison and mbots. For the battle Mbots are the best. The second son loves more Ozobots and for some reason they didn't care much about Edison

Edited by rushhush08

Like everything else, it depends on your kid.  We got Mindstorms for our older son at age 8.  He was (still is) very into Lego technic and also Scratch programming.  Mindstorms was perfect for him, took to it like a duck to water.  Wedo would have been a waste for this kid..   .  If your son is really into Lego then mindstorms would bethe better choice.

WeDo would be outgrown very very quickly at his age.  Keep saving for mindstorms.  If unsure if he could handle it or want more info, watch some you tubes, or ev3lessons.com programming lessons and download the mindstorm software (home edition is free) to see if he feels comfortable.

One more question for you: Do you find that one is generally enough to do a lot with? I've seen a lot of projects online that end up using two or more, and my son would very much like to build battle bots with them and have them "fight" each other, so I'm not sure how many to buy.

One more question for you: Do you find that one is generally enough to do a lot with? I've seen a lot of projects online that end up using two or more, and my son would very much like to build battle bots with them and have them "fight" each other, so I'm not sure how many to buy.

The kids really like doing the wrestling with two robots.   I actually have 6 of them because there's 12 kids in my club and they work in groups of 2.    I would probably buy 2 if I was buying them for home.

The kids really like doing the wrestling with two robots.   I actually have 6 of them because there's 12 kids in my club and they work in groups of 2.    I would probably buy 2 if I was buying them for home.

Good to know. I was concerned we were going to have to buy four if we wanted them to be able to wrestle (one for the wheels maybe and one for whatever else you want your robot to be able to do - all doubled to make two full robots), and I really didn't want to spend that much on them (though they'd still be cheaper than a boost or wedo! lol). We'd rather get a few and focus on those for a year or two while continuing to save for the mindstorm. Thanks so much!

Good to know. I was concerned we were going to have to buy four if we wanted them to be able to wrestle (one for the wheels maybe and one for whatever else you want your robot to be able to do - all doubled to make two full robots), and I really didn't want to spend that much on them (though they'd still be cheaper than a boost or wedo! lol). We'd rather get a few and focus on those for a year or two while continuing to save for the mindstorm. Thanks so much!

We've never done any of the projects where you attach two robots together.  When we do the wrestling, we start off with just the bare robots, then we modify with legos to see how various things affect it.  We've done the bar code they provide for wrestling in borders, and we've written simple programs for battling.

• Like 1

Where's Toto, did the lessons plans you're using for EdScratch come with the Edison's bots? My younger one is wanting me to do a robotics class for his age, but I don't want to shell out for multiple we do 2.0, since we have one and it's staying power isn't awesome as they grow.

They are on the website - https://meetedison.com/robot-programming-software/edblocks/.

• Like 1