Menu

Do I put 1 minus on the transcript?

DS started at PS, where they only give grades of A, B, C, D or E.  He then moved to an online school with the same policy.  He's also taken courses at community college, same policy.  Finally, he's taken some classes where I've graded him and I adhered to the same policy. So, for example, when he got a 91% in math, I gave him an A, because 91% = A at all of those schools.  Last semester he took 1 DE class at a local university, and earned an A-.

Do, I just leave that one minus on there.  Does that imply that the other classes the grade wouldn't have been a minus?  (note, he had several classes where the grade would have been B- had the school had minuses, but is instead a B).  Do I transfer those classes to my own grading system, and the A- becomes an A?  Even though they'll see the A- on the college transcript?

If the class was at a university, the university will have to send their own official transcript as well. And thus, I would be consistent and list the grade on the homeschool transcript exactly how the university will report it. Otherwise they may think you are fudging.

I would not apply my homeschool grading scale to an outsourced course.

ETA: It is worth to remember that any grading scale is completely meaningless unless accompanied by the actual assignment that was graded.  

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

If the class was at a university, the university will have to send their own official transcript as well. And thus, I would be consistent and list the grade on the homeschool transcript exactly how the university will report it. Otherwise they may think you are fudging.

I would not apply my homeschool grading scale to an outsourced course.

ETA: It is worth to remember that any grading scale is completely meaningless unless accompanied by the actual assignment that was graded.  

Which makes sense to me, it's just going to look weird.  And then when I fill out the school profile and say "A = 89.5 - 100%" do I put an asterix and say "Except at classes earned at _____ University?

I think it would be understood by any college that your homeschool grading scale applies only to the courses you taught at home, and that any outsourced courses were evaluated by the provider and subject to the provider's grading scale.

I assume you will label the university class as such on the transcript, and so it will be obvious that this was not taught at home and is not subject to your personal grading criteria. I do not believe it requires a separate explanation.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3