Menu

"Tank" tops

Piper

So what is with the trend of wearing open-side tanks with **nothing** on underneath?? Am I just a prude or is this the kind of thing that really should stay in the bedroom - or at least in the house? I was at a bookstore the other day, and a young woman went by in one of those "tank" tops...let's just say that that was *not* the type of books I went there to find!!! I was just so grateful my kids weren't with me.  :svengo:

Edited by Piper
  • Like 1

I have seen them worn without bras as OP describes.

I assume the wearers are intentionally being edgy as this does go against standard dress norms in our society.

I personally wish the overall hypersexualization of the female breast would go away, in which case clothing choices like this wouldn't matter much one way or another.

• Like 5

lol I just discussed with my SON that I don't think those basketball tank shirts should be worn by men unless they are at the gym. I think it looks... idk... gross? Slovenly? I put it up there with wife beater shirts and baggy to the knees pants of clothing I detest.

• Like 9

So what is with the trend of wearing open-side tanks with **nothing** on underneath?? Am I just a prude or is this the kind of thing that really should stay in the bedroom - or at least in the house? I was at a bookstore the other day, and a young woman went by in one of those "tank" tops...let's just say that that was *not* the type of books I went there to find!!! I was just so grateful my kids weren't with me. :svengo:

I find that odd. Why would you care if your kids saw some side boob?

• Like 1

Is it possible that there was a skin-tone layer underneath? Or was the view really that clear?

Could you see enough to know that she wasn't wearing a stick-on bra? 

Oh yes, it was quite obvious that she was not wearing anything - skin tone or stick on - underneath. *Very* little was left to the imagination. 

I'm glad to hear that many have not seen this around them.

Have you heard the phrase "tasteful side boob." I've heard my DD say that in joking tones. When asked, she explained that it is a phrase that is used to describe similar exposure. If the phrase exists, I guess there's a trend.

I've seen this a couple times, but not a lot.

Huh.  I looked that up.  The images I saw weren't very tasteful, in my opinion.   :-)

I have seen them worn without bras as OP describes.

I assume the wearers are intentionally being edgy as this does go against standard dress norms in our society.

I personally wish the overall hypersexualization of the female breast would go away, in which case clothing choices like this wouldn't matter much one way or another.

:iagree: Absolutely, I shouldn't have to tell my daughter that she can't wear her brothers old "tank" top with open sides because it's not socially appropriate.  It was appropriate for him but not her?