Menu

Get R Done Math and Science

My son, whom I am trying to remember I love, sigh, managed to mess up his registration at the community college. He was supposed to be dual enrolled in 3 classes this semester. Instead, he registered for one, and the other two were a flex start semester that DE students are ineligible for. Today was the first day of class, he showed up thinking he'd have class, and no. 

So yeah...

Now I need to figure something out. We may try to get math and science done and out of the way. He's bright, but has major EF issues and is lacking in any real motivation. Busy work and he do not get along. On the other hand, he acknowledges he needs to get things done and boxes checked so he can graduate at the end of this year. 

We'd like something he can condense and get done in one semester, so he is freed up to focus on college courses next semester. Like I said, he's smart,  so I think that may be possible? 

I'm looking for pre-calc and physics. 

Options I've thought of so far for pre-calc are:

Teaching Textbooks

Derek Owens

Math U See

Options for Physics I've thought of are:

Derek Owens

Apologia - maybe with virtual homeschool group?

Dive

Something else?

Or maybe we'd do math and then an economics course, and save physics for the CC next semester. 

Edited by ktgrok

There's a big difference between DO and TT or MUS. What has he used before for math and science?

He used CLE way back when, then TT and he has also done a class at the local high school. He's done pretty well in all of it, IF he actually does it. He has about zero motivation, honestly. He's box checking at this point. 

ALEKS might work well for math. It's online, but you do all of the work on paper and enter your answer. There is some multiple choice for answers that would be difficult to enter on a computer (like drawing angles). 

It will assess him in the chosen course and start him where he is capable. From their site: ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course. ALEKS then instructs the student on the topics she is most ready to learn. As a student works through a course, ALEKS periodically reassesses the student to ensure that topics learned are also retained.

You can move through a course as quickly as you are capable.

Does he need physics? Is he applying to 4-yrs for next year, or will he continue with CC for now? I would absolutely not try to cram it into one semester, including at the CC. Just because physics is on the standard rotation doesn't mean he has to take it.  I think it would have to be conceptual physics for a git-r-done class, so imo he might as well take a class he has more interest in. If he has 3 sciences, I'd let that be any class. 

No personal experience, but I don't think Derek Owens is git-r-done. 

Also, are you sure he can't add any classes at the CC? The drop/add period is usually a couple of weeks. 

I'd go with TT or MUS for math-- to keep skills fresh this semester and maybe pick up a CC course next semester if needed.

If he can handle it, I'd go with DO for physics... but you may need to help him pace/schedule.

Well, at least now he will have one more year of 'maturity' before attending CC!

• Like 1

I'd go with TT or MUS for math-- to keep skills fresh this semester and maybe pick up a CC course next semester if needed.

If he can handle it, I'd go with DO for physics... but you may need to help him pace/schedule.

Well, at least now he will have one more year of 'maturity' before attending CC!

He's still taking one class this semester, and has been taking courses there for a while now. Not sure how he managed to mess this up!

Both my kids were in a get 'er done situation for geometry. One I went with TT and one with MUS. The one who did TT actually scored lower on the geometry section of the ACT after completing the whole course. :(

For the second son we did MUS and that is what I would recommend if you're trying to get it done in a semester. There are many fewer lessons than TT and would be easier to double up and get it done quickly. I felt like the ds that did MUS got more out of it than the one that did TT while spending less time and experiencing less frustration (even though first ds is overall the better student).

Both those kids were college bound in non-STEM majors if that helps for context. I would make a difference choice with next ds who is headed toward STEM.

I've got nothing for you on physics. Tough subject- not sure if there is a get 'er done on that one.

Good luck!

ok, he's looking at ALEKS vs Math U See for Pre-calc. Going to do Apologia for Physics. We will go ahead and take the full year, and he will just take a lighter load at the CC next semester. 

Question, anyone done the Virtual Homeschool Group Apologia physics? If we use that, we need the 1st edition book. If we don't would get the 2nd edition. Any thoughts?

ok, he's looking at ALEKS vs Math U See for Pre-calc. Going to do Apologia for Physics. We will go ahead and take the full year, and he will just take a lighter load at the CC next semester.

Question, anyone done the Virtual Homeschool Group Apologia physics? If we use that, we need the 1st edition book. If we don't would get the 2nd edition. Any thoughts?

We haven't done physics, but other courses through VHG (plus I teach a couple of classes). The live class is full, but he can enroll in the At Your Own Pace course at anytime. Those lectures are taught by Tammy Moore, and she's really good. You can get by using the 2nd edition of the book, so if it turns out to not be for him, you still have the edition you want to do as you will.

DIVE Physics is another option, but from the looks of it it is more difficult?

Dd used DIVE for Physical Science, Biology, and Chemistry, but I wouldn't use it for Physics because it only pairs with Saxon Physics. For Get 'er done, go with Apologia, with or without the VHG.