Menu

What's with the ads?

jpinAL

Anyone with a child at Tulane?

Hello

So we thought the college search was narrowed down to 3 universities (UA, Auburn and RPI) BUT dd has been perusing the Tulane University website and talking to admissions and alum. She has been on the campus when she was younger but wasn't really looking. Now she wants to seriously take a look. Any thoughts on the school? Just looking for general impressions before we visit, I attended RPI and we live near enough to the other two to visit and talk with students but Tulane is a mystery to me. Thanks in advance.

Susan

• Like 1

Hello

So we thought the college search was narrowed down to 3 universities (UA, Auburn and RPI) BUT dd has been perusing the Tulane University website and talking to admissions and alum. She has been on the campus when she was younger but wasn't really looking. Now she wants to seriously take a look. Any thoughts on the school? Just looking for general impressions before we visit, I attended RPI and we live near enough to the other two to visit and talk with students but Tulane is a mystery to me. Thanks in advance.

Susan

My kids are not there but it is very local to me, and I know lots of people who have attended. 

It's very well-regarded for academics. It's in a fantastic location on historical St. Charles Avenue, across the street from Audubon Park and on the streetcar line. The French Quarter is also very easy to get to, which may or may not be a good thing in your mind, lol. 

Lots of affluent students.  

85% of students come from out of state, so the campus culture is different than many schools in the south. I've heard it described as a northeastern school with a southern location. I've not visited Auburn or RPI, but I can say that it has a very different feel compared to UA - not as open, not as much casual friendliness, less likely to start conversations with strangers. So, it depends on the culture you are looking for. 

FYI, Loyola University of New Orleans is literally next door to Tulane. It's a very different school, but she might want to tour it if she has time. I never pass up the chance for an easy visit! 

Let me know if you have any specific questions or want more details on anything, I will try to answer. 

Thank you for that honest assessment. DD would be a scholarship kid with little extra money. She loves the feel of UA so Tulane may not be the right fit for her. We have considered Loyola, Spring Hill and Belmont Abbey but couldn't find a good academic fit. We're going to Tulane reception here in Birmingham and then maybe a visit but I think it may be lower on her list now. Again, thank you.

• Like 1