Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Must. Vent.

People keep asking me how I like it in Alaska. I live near Seattle.

It's practically the same thing, Jean! Alaska and Seattle are practically around the corner from each other. Didn't you know that? ;)

• Like 4

It's practically the same thing, Jean! Alaska and Seattle are practically around the corner from each other. Didn't you know that? ;)

and you can see Russia from both! 

• Like 3

I met someone in Wales who was visiting and was very proud of his Welsh heritage, but was astonished when I mentioned that there was a Welsh language.

And I'd say there were numerous dialects (and be tempted to say two related-but-different Welsh languages, but I'm not sure they are different enough to be considered different languages). My son has asked me to help him learn Welsh. I'm a bit overwhelmed.   :svengo:

Geography knowledge is pretty limited even in the US. Admitting you don't know where some state or country is doesn't seem as embarrassing to people as admitting you can't read. It is probably on par with saying you aren't good at math (which is a common occurrence that apparently some people are proud to own up to  :confused1: ). Or the same as saying you can't spell.

My county has a larger population than 42 states. 😂

I was on a forum  where someone from Colorado was blasting the Houston mayor for not having people evacuate. hey idiot-  this ain't Denver, the population of greater Houston metro is bigger than your entire state.   

People keep asking me how I like it in Alaska. I live near Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have deer, we have bears (our neighbor had a blackbear through their back yard), trees, snow (usually in the mts,or eastern wa), glaciers, mts. I can remember a time people commuted by private plane, cruise ships, salmon fishermen . . . . we're next to Canada . . . I can understand the mistake . . . . ;) 

(for people who don't know - jean and I live within fairly close proximity)

I'm from southern Illinois, but if I tell people I'm from Illinois most assume Chicago. Folks, I promise not everyone from IL is from Chicagoland! So I completely get this. I've only visited a few times as it was a good 5-6 hour drive. Now I just say St. Louis :)

I went to Carterville, IL for the eclipse!

True Size maps can be helpful and are also educational for kids. Type in a country to highlight it and then drag it to another location to see what it covers.

I like to think that Texas is about the size of France. I think most people can imagine one of those and translate it to the other. I do realize there are people out there who have ZERO interest in maps and no concept of keeping even a basic local map in their heads. You can tell who these people are when you tell then to go north on Jackson Street and their heads explode. I've seen it.

There are  people who believe Germans wear dirndls and lederhosen.

nope. Bavarians do, and mostly during Octoberfest.

Nobody in Saxony will be caught in this kind of costume.

I was IN Bavaria DURING Fest season and saw not one of these outfits on a single person. I was robbed. The beer-server-ladies wore some sort of costume if memory serves. I think Bavaria was holding out on me. As an added point of interest, I've never heard Almost Heaven West Virginia more in my LIFE and I'm FROM West Virginia. For a moment I felt personally honored, but it wasn't about me at all despite the fact I was likely the ONLY West Virginia in the tents.

Just be thankful you're not from The Netherlands. 10 out of 12 provinces are not Holland, and no, Amsterdam is not some country near Holland, or near The Netherlands, or w/e, and Holland is not the capital of Amsterdam either (spoiler alert: things ending in 'land' typically are not cities). And all that assumes people have heard of any of the above at all. Also, the adjective associated with NL is Dutch, and we speak Dutch.

A USCIS immigration officer in Texas asked me if The Netherlands was north of Russia.  :001_rolleyes:

Don't all Dutchlanders speak Hollandaise and have dikes?

• Like 1

I live in FL so we get the hurricane comments all the time.   I get it.   I don't think my city has gotten a direct hit from a major hurricane since 1921.

My biggest pet peeve is certain people (mostly my relatives) who use FB to "mark themselves safe" after every major event (typically a shooting that occurs in a drug-infested neighborhood in the middle of the night).  Like we all woke up and wondered whether they were there, because we all know that they frequent drug-infested neighborhoods in the middle of the night.   Now I wonder if other people actually got concerned with them and pestered them enough about it that they felt the need to "mark themselves safe" to assure everyone else that they were ok.

What annoyed me was that with the flooding here in Houston, all my friends marked themselves safe before it even started.  :glare:

I like to think that Texas is about the size of France. I think most people can imagine one of those and translate it to the other. I do realize there are people out there who have ZERO interest in maps and no concept of keeping even a basic local map in their heads. You can tell who these people are when you tell then to go north on Jackson Street and their heads explode. I've seen it.

more like france is almost as big as texas . . . . .   (it's 4/5ths the size of texas.)

https://mapfight.appspot.com/texas-vs-fr/texas-us-france-size-comparison

or about twice the size of germany.

• Like 1

I do realize there are people out there who have ZERO interest in maps and no concept of keeping even a basic local map in their heads. You can tell who these people are when you tell then to go north on Jackson Street and their heads explode. I've seen it.

I love maps. I really, really, hate people telling me directions. Please just show me the map. Thx. (I could probably manage "go north on Jackson Street" if that was the full extent of the directions - anything more than that, especially if using landmarks, would drive me nuts... written directions are also way better than spoken ones, if you *have* to give me directions without drawing a map.)

I love maps. I really, really, hate people telling me directions. Please just show me the map. Thx. (I could probably manage "go north on Jackson Street" if that was the full extent of the directions - anything more than that, especially if using landmarks, would drive me nuts... written directions are also way better than spoken ones, if you *have* to give me directions without drawing a map.)

I know my cardinal directions but I don't really like the "go north on Jackson street " type of directions. Roads around here rarely go one direction and I never know if I am on the section that is going north or if we've looped around and might even be going south for a bit before going east.

I know my cardinal directions but I don't really like the "go north on Jackson street " type of directions. Roads around here rarely go one direction and I never know if I am on the section that is going north or if we've looped around and might even be going south for a bit before going east.

we do have the advantage of mts.   the olympics are west, the cascades are east.  when we lived in the olympia area - i would get turned around.

my sil will give directions of "go left at the big tree and over the hill" .... which makes me want to scream!  please, give me the address!

but I understand - one reason for a smart phone was navigator. . . but the road name can change, (but the road doesn't actually change) and I would be freaking out thinking I missed a turn . . . . did that to me on the freeway in fort worth . . . .and the last day there . . wasn't I supposed to take that exit? (as I'm driving past) so when it put me on the next exit, I figured I must have accidentally picked an alternate route.   I thought it would put me back on the freeway . . . . instead it put me on this tiny very very old road that is hardly used (but I'd had it pointed out to me before so at least I didn't freak about it), but comes out near my daughter's neighborhood.   I pulled over to look at the wildflowers and there was a cow in the pasture. l  it was so still, I was starting to wonder if it was a stature (people have statues in their fields in wa.). eventually it decided I wasn't a threat and went back to grazing. but she had been extremely still, not even her tail twitched.  

Maybe some people just remember "this person lives in TX" not "this person lives in city X in Texas." When there was a building fire in England I had to check with my parents to make sure it didn't affect my sister there. That's kind of embarrassing, but I didn't know where that building was in relation to where she lived/worked. I know her address, but I don't know the area.

I have been to TX and I know it's huge, but I can understand people checking in. They don't know if someone was home/near their home or not during the storm necessarily. Besides, the media can do a poor job of reporting where disaster affected people. I was going to buy ds a book about Hurricane Katrina, but they all focus on New Orleans. Clearly it affected more cities than one.

Maybe some people just remember "this person lives in TX" not "this person lives in city X in Texas." When there was a building fire in England I had to check with my parents to make sure it didn't affect my sister there. That's kind of embarrassing, but I didn't know where that building was in relation to where she lived/worked. I know her address, but I don't know the area.

I have been to TX and I know it's huge, but I can understand people checking in. They don't know if someone was home/near their home or not during the storm necessarily. Besides, the media can do a poor job of reporting where disaster affected people. I was going to buy ds a book about Hurricane Katrina, but they all focus on New Orleans. Clearly it affected more cities than one.

I find that Google Maps is useful for that.  I just get directions from the disaster site to where I expect my loved ones to be.

• Like 1

'Twas a generalization. Nobody's betting money on it.

Yeah... the true size map thing PP posted upthread says TX is comparable to Burma (which I thought was called Myanmar now?), but anyway... unless you're SE Asian, odds are that doesn't mean a whole lot to people. 

ETA: I lived in Thailand for a year, and the size of Burma is still not super meaningful to me, other than that it's obviously significantly bigger than NL... which France is too. 

Edited by luuknam