Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Must. Vent.

Yup, we got this living in CA.  However, there were actual times we were "close to the action" so I get it.

Well, for true confessions, I thought of you, Kinsa, when I first heard about Harvey approaching. In my initial thought of, "Who might be affected from WTM?" I did think of Kinsa. I waited to see who would check in though, because I do know that Texas is huge.

• Like 2

But I think you know that looking at a map might be in order before asking friends in Big Bend National Park about a hurricane, yes?

Also, I think Kinsa is so far from civilization she couldn't possibly be affected by a hurricane in Houston (or any [major disaster] in [major city]).

If I actually personally knew someone in Big Bend National Park (internet doesn't count) then I would most likely have looked up more information on exactly where it is. But if someone had recently moved there I might not have gotten around to that yet.

Dh used to live in Houston at one time. He knows a lot of people there. He's checked in (even if it was simply looking on their FB page) to see if they are all right.

• Like 1

Ha ha!! I live in OKLAHOMA CITY and my MIL still asked if we were getting some of those rain bands hitting us...before the storm even hit the coast! I told her we were too far away to get anything (Texas is a Large state after all) and she replied, knowingly, "well those bands can be quite large after all." 🙄

I can tell on a map it is big. It is a lot bigger than Virginia. I have driven east/West and north/South in my state. You can drive for 9 hours and still be in Virginia, but that's not typical--you have to be trying to get to parts of Virginia people leave off on basic maps (that strip of peninsula down from MD or that chunk that curves around WVA). Knowing that I can easily guess driving across Texas could take days.

Just using my own experience on the east coast, I can (and did) look at a map and know that my friend in San Antonio was fine. I also knew my niece was in big trouble --she lives in Houston.

Anyway, I'm not getting how people don't understand distances. I don't think I'm particularly brilliant. I just extrapolate from experience.

So, a) there are plenty of people who live in places much smaller than Virginia, so they can't really extrapolate from that, and b) not everybody has looked at a US map all that much. So, wrt my grandmother, NL fits into TX roughly 16.7 times. NL is a country, TX is a state (1 out of 50) in a country. So, I do sort of understand how someone with an 8th grade education (completed circa 1928), who may or may not ever have traveled outside of NL (but certainly has never gone far), might have trouble understanding distances until they're pointed out to her and explained and all that. 

ETA: so, to extrapolate from experience: states are smaller than the countries they're in, it takes 3 hours to go from the northernmost part of my country to the southernmost part, they tell me Texas is a big state and NL is small country, so, who knows, maybe it takes 2 hours to cross? Or maybe even 3?

ETA2: I of course don't know what my grandmother's reasoning was, I'm just saying the reasoning I posted above wouldn't be crazy.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Growing up in Japan, Americans would always ask me about the people wearing kimonos (as if I was living in a Samurai movie).  Japanese would always ask me about the cowboys and Indians in America (as if I was living in an old time Western when I went back to the US for visits).  The world was a less global place back then. 

• Like 5

So, a) there are plenty of people who live in places much smaller than Virginia, so they can't really extrapolate from that, and b) not everybody has looked at a US map all that much. So, wrt my grandmother, NL fits into TX roughly 16.7 times. NL is a country, TX is a state (1 out of 50) in a country. So, I do sort of understand how someone with an 8th grade education (completed circa 1928), who may or may not ever have traveled outside of NL (but certainly has never gone far), might have trouble understanding distances until they're pointed out to her and explained and all that. 

ETA: so, to extrapolate from experience: states are smaller than the countries they're in, it takes 3 hours to go from the northernmost part of my country to the southernmost part, they tell me Texas is a big state and NL is small country, so, who knows, maybe it takes 2 hours to cross? Or maybe even 3?

ETA2: I of course don't know what my grandmother's reasoning was, I'm just saying the reasoning I posted above wouldn't be crazy.

I totally understand Europeans not getting distances in the US. European countries do not scale with US states. That makes sense.

I don't get people who live in the US not getting it. I've never been to Texas. I know that west Texas is a desert, east Texas is hot and HUMID. Totally different climates. Maybe everyone doesn't know that. But if you do live in the US, you know how big your state is and you can see how big Texas is in comparison. It's pretty obvious. 

The same goes for California. There are people think that LA and SF are actually close by. If visiting SF, LA is not an easy add on to the trip. 

• Like 3

When I was a kid and we would drive from Dallas to Colorado for vacation, I remember being absolutely in awe at *how freakin' long* it took us just to get out of the state.  I used to bug my dad to death... "Are we out of Texas yet?  Are we out now?  How about NOW?"   :lol:  I used to feel like Texas was a giant monster who would never let go of me.

• Like 1

Some of these posts give the vibe that people are stupid or thoughtless for expressing concern without doing the proper research.

I just can't understand this attitude at all.

I literally can't think of anyone who would contact me to say "are you safe?" How is it any sort of hardship to have people who are actually thinking of you?

I'm baffled.

• Like 10

Some of these posts give the vibe that people are stupid or thoughtless for expressing concern without doing the proper research.

I literally can't think of anyone who would contact me to say "are you safe?" How is it any sort of hardship to have people who are actually thinking of you?

I'm baffled.

Me too. I don't really get it.

Also, I don't have to live right in the eye of trouble in order to be concerned about other folks in my state or region. What happened in Charlottesville, VA feels close to home, I guess in part because I can drive there and have been there several times. When there were riots in Baltimore, my heart was breaking over it because that's "my" big city, even though I am not there now. I worked in Baltimore for years and years and it hurts me to see strife going on there, even if it isn't directly affecting me personally.

But I am a sensitive person.

Eta: typo

Edited by Quill
  • Like 3

When I was a kid and we would drive from Dallas to Colorado for vacation, I remember being absolutely in awe at *how freakin' long* it took us just to get out of the state. I used to bug my dad to death... "Are we out of Texas yet? Are we out now? How about NOW?" :lol: I used to feel like Texas was a giant monster who would never let go of me.

That was one thing that always seemed sort of pleasant about driving north along the east coast. It didn't take long to call out, "We're in Delaware!" And then, "New Jersey!" "New York!" And so on. It feels like you get those little rewards often enough. It has to be a grind when you're driving for days through the same state, especially if there's nothing to see. "Look guys! Scrub brush...still!"

I'm baffled.

No I don't think anyone suggested it is thoughtless to express concern. The OP was expressing exasperation over having to explain multiple times that while the end of her address is Texas, she is not physically near everything in Texas. After explaining where you are multiple times it is OK to be exasperated. I'm sure the OP politely accepted the concern for the umpteenth time. 

What bothers me is that so many people don't understand basic geography. These expressions of concerns is one place some of this lack of knowledge appears. I wouldn't say someone is thoughtless for expressing concern, but the lack of general knowledge does concern me. I hope when various states crop up in the news people take the time to educate themselves a little bit. Every little bit helps in understanding our country and the needs of various people.  

• Like 3

I'm baffled.

Which is why I posted here instead of spouting off on facebook.

Yes, it was touching at first. Then it became comical. Now it's just plain annoying.

• Like 10

My friend in El Paso keeps cracking up because the state must've just plugged in all the signs to the same message: a warning that I-10 is closed east of Houston. In case people might drive east for two days by accident?

• Like 8

True Size maps can be helpful and are also educational for kids. Type in a country to highlight it and then drag it to another location to see what it covers.

• Like 2

Growing up in Japan, Americans would always ask me about the people wearing kimonos (as if I was living in a Samurai movie). Japanese would always ask me about the cowboys and Indians in America (as if I was living in an old time Western when I went back to the US for visits). The world was a less global place back then.

When I was in Jr high, I had a friend whose east coast relatives asked about cowboys and indians. Their family assured them they were safe in the fort from the Indian attacks the previous week

• Like 4

Well, Kinsa, maybe take a photo out your front door, post it on FB and say, "I am so thankful that I am safe from the flood waters. Praying for all my fellow Texans who are not yet out of harm's way!"

• Like 4

My friend in El Paso keeps cracking up because the state must've just plugged in all the signs to the same message: a warning that I-10 is closed east of Houston. In case people might drive east for two days by accident?

I saw them. Last week they were about avoiding the coast due to a hurricane warning.

Might be better than announcing the total road deaths this year.

Wta, those unnerve my dd.

Edited by gardenmom5

Well, Kinsa, maybe take a photo out your front door, post it on FB and say, "I am so thankful that I am safe from the flood waters. Praying for all my fellow Texans who are not yet out of harm's way!"

I pretty much did.  Several days ago.  Did it again today.  Still got a comment TODAY on a post about my son getting his first pair of glasses at the age of two, "I HOPE YOU'RE STILL OUT OF HARM'S WAY!"  :smash:

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 4

I pretty much did. Several days ago. Did it again today. Still got a comment TODAY on a post about my son getting his first pair of glasses at the age of two, "I HOPE YOU'RE STILL OUT OF HARM'S WAY!" :smash:

Okay. Well, that is annoying...

• Like 2

When I was in Jr high, I had a friend whose east coast relatives asked about cowboys and indians. Their family assured them they were safe in the fort from the Indian attacks the previous week

I don't quite understand this. There are still actual cowboys (=ranch workers who use horses), and native Americans all over the region (I've lived in Texas and traveled across OK/TX/NM/CO/WY). I've stopped in majority Indian locales and heard Indian languages spoken. I've seen men working with cattle. Maybe it's silly if the assumption is that they're just like in the movies or our stereotypes of the nineteenth century, but why assume that was the assumption? In particular, why contribute to the misconception that the Indians are gone?

I don't quite understand this. There are still actual cowboys (=ranch workers who use horses), and native Americans all over the region (I've lived in Texas and traveled across OK/TX/NM/CO/WY). I've stopped in majority Indian locales and heard Indian languages spoken. I've seen men working with cattle. Maybe it's silly if the assumption is that they're just like in the movies or our stereotypes of the nineteenth century, but why assume that was the assumption? In particular, why contribute to the misconception that the Indians are gone?

They were yanking their relatives chains about their prejudicial stereotype of the west. Re; it's like something out of a western movie. And the western movie perpetuated those stereotypes.

I don't see how it's prejudicial to know that Indians exist and are concentrated in certain parts of the country. If you find acknowledging their existence "prejudicial".... I don't even know, man.

Growing up in Japan, Americans would always ask me about the people wearing kimonos (as if I was living in a Samurai movie).  Japanese would always ask me about the cowboys and Indians in America (as if I was living in an old time Western when I went back to the US for visits).  The world was a less global place back then. 

There are  people who believe Germans wear dirndls and lederhosen.

nope. Bavarians do, and mostly during Octoberfest.

Nobody in Saxony will be caught in this kind of costume.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I pretty much did.  Several days ago.  Did it again today.  Still got a comment TODAY on a post about my son getting his first pair of glasses at the age of two, "I HOPE YOU'RE STILL OUT OF HARM'S WAY!"  :smash:

Well, I seriously hope you're still out of harms way. Because if not...  :svengo:

There are  people who believe Germans wear dirndls and lederhosen.

nope. Bavarians do, and mostly during Octoberfest.

Nobody in Saxony will be caught in this kind of costume.

Last time I checked, those Bavarians are Germans too. Also, last time I checked, most of them didn't wear dirndls and lederhosen... mostly just *some* of the ones running restaurants etc. (maybe you meant to put the word 'all' in front of Germans?)

I don't like wooden shoes (in case anyone's wondering). My mom does - for gardening only. 

• Like 1

The first time, it's thoughtful. The second, third, fourth, etc times, it shows that you obviously weren't listening when the size of the state and one's location in relation to w/e disaster were explained. So, yes, it can be thoughtless of people to express concern (obviously, this does not apply to people with dementia, etc, though that doesn't make it less frustrating). Also, a PP mentioned someone calling at 3am... which is definitely thoughtless without doing proper research, I don't care if the size of a state has previously been explained or not. 

Thanks KInsa, I needed the laugh.

I am comfortably sitting in on a dry subdivision with flooding all around. I am feeling a little bit guilty actually.

To give people an idea of the size of Texas, it is only almost the same distance to drive from El Paso ,Texas to Houston as it is from El Paso,Tx to Los Angeles, CA. I know you are in Big Bend, but the distances didn't match up as well.

Edited by Silver Brook

I don't see how it's prejudicial to know that Indians exist and are concentrated in certain parts of the country. If you find acknowledging their existence "prejudicial".... I don't even know, man.

you obviously didn't understand what I wrote - because you are reading all sorts of stuff into it I didn't write - and ignoring what I did write.

am I to assume you do not have a problem with the expectation that indians are ATTACKING - as in with bows and arrows and tomahawks   - those "poor settlers", and that they're "savages"?.  because THAT is what my friends east coast family were being so prejudicial about!

eta: and I live in WA - we have a lot of indians!

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

kinsa - my dsil got a couple more texts today asking him if he's ok . . . . in dfw . . . . .

I live in NZ. I have no idea how big Texas is so I just think nice thoughts for you all.

• Like 8

I had someone ask me how the Scotsmen stayed warm wearing kilts all the time and did my dh own pants now that he was in America! ðŸ˜

I think it rather common for people who haven't had a lot of experience with world to be confused about it.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

I had someone ask me how the Scotsmen stayed warm wearing kilts all the time and did my dh own pants now that he was in America! ðŸ˜

I think it rather common for people who haven't had a lot of experience with world to be confused about it.

Are you ever tempted to make something up. They carry a live chicken under their kilt or something?

• Like 1

Are you ever tempted to make something up. They carry a live chicken under their kilt or something?

Don't you know they do yoga?  Beware, bare bottoms:

I think some people just don't think about something on their own before impulsively ask questions.

Someone asked my if my 7 month old daughter (Korean adoptee) spoke Korean or English.  Uh, she cries and babbles in both languages I guess.  I don't speak Korean so I can't be sure.

Someone else asked which she would speak, Korean or English.  Well, since none of us in the household speaks Korean it'll be English. It's not like each language is encoded in DNA.

• Like 1

That is definitely frustrating. We used to live Alaska, and now we live in the Florida panhandle, so I feel your pain.

The best is when people find out I'm from England. They interchangeably use the words "England" and "London". Nope, not from London. From much further north. Went to London for the second time in my life a couple of years ago. I'm Sorry, I guess that was a little vent of my own (related to geography! HA!)

• Like 2

The best is when people find out I'm from England. They interchangeably use the words "England" and "London". Nope, not from London. From much further north. Went to London for the second time in my life a couple of years ago. I'm Sorry, I guess that was a little vent of my own (related to geography! HA!)

Just be thankful you're not from The Netherlands. 10 out of 12 provinces are not Holland, and no, Amsterdam is not some country near Holland, or near The Netherlands, or w/e, and Holland is not the capital of Amsterdam either (spoiler alert: things ending in 'land' typically are not cities). And all that assumes people have heard of any of the above at all. Also, the adjective associated with NL is Dutch, and we speak Dutch.

A USCIS immigration officer in Texas asked me if The Netherlands was north of Russia.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just be thankful you're not from The Netherlands. 10 out of 12 provinces are not Holland, and no, Amsterdam is not some country near Holland, or near The Netherlands, or w/e, and Holland is not the capital of Amsterdam either (spoiler alert: things ending in 'land' typically are not cities). And all that assumes people have heard of any of the above at all. Also, the adjective associated with NL is Dutch, and we speak Dutch.

A USCIS immigration officer in Texas asked me if The Netherlands was north of Russia.  :001_rolleyes:

I mean, I may have given him props if he'd have said "below Russia" - see what I did there? At least he didn't call it netherregions, right? small mercies?  :laugh:

Schipol is DH's most favorite airport, which has nothing to do with this conversation, just thought I'd mention it.  :hurray:

• Like 1

Random thing this reminded of.  I know someone who had a passport issued by Wales and when they arrived in the US the customs guy go in an argument with him about his passport being fake because there is definitely no country called "Wales."

• Like 1

I live in FL so we get the hurricane comments all the time.   I get it.   I don't think my city has gotten a direct hit from a major hurricane since 1921.

My biggest pet peeve is certain people (mostly my relatives) who use FB to "mark themselves safe" after every major event (typically a shooting that occurs in a drug-infested neighborhood in the middle of the night).  Like we all woke up and wondered whether they were there, because we all know that they frequent drug-infested neighborhoods in the middle of the night.   Now I wonder if other people actually got concerned with them and pestered them enough about it that they felt the need to "mark themselves safe" to assure everyone else that they were ok.

• Like 2

Random thing this reminded of.  I know someone who had a passport issued by Wales and when they arrived in the US the customs guy go in an argument with him about his passport being fake because there is definitely no country called "Wales."

I met someone in Wales who was visiting and was very proud of his Welsh heritage, but was astonished when I mentioned that there was a Welsh language.

The word 'country' is a difficult one though.  As far as independent political entities (passport issuing, army-supporting, UN member) then Wales is not a 'country'.  It's certainly a nation though.  ETA: it hasn't been an independent country in around 700 years (not 900 as I originally wrote), as far as I remember.  Texas was a country more recently.

The passport office in Wales issues UK passports, after all.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I met someone in Wales who was visiting and was very proud of his Welsh heritage, but was astonished when I mentioned that there was a Welsh language.

The word 'country' is a difficult one though. As far as independent political entities (passport issuing, army-supporting, UN member) then Wales is not a 'country'. It's certainly a nation though. ETA: it hasn't been an independent country in around 700 years (not 900 as I originally wrote), as far as I remember. Texas was a country more recently.

The passport office in Wales issues UK passports, after all.

So that passport might have been fake after all if it was a specifically Welsh passport!

• Like 2

I got into big trouble when I was traveling by myself overseas when I was 13 and mistaken Japanese immigration officials insisted that I needed a Japanese passport because I was born in Japan. So even officials who should know better can make boneheaded mistakes. We all have brain farts but some impact people more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that passport might have been fake after all if it was a specifically Welsh passport!

Yup.  It could have said 'Newport, Wales' as the issuing office, but that's like saying 'Dallas, Texas'-  it's not a passport-country designation.  For that matter, my passport gives 'Hong Kong, SAR' as the issuing office and that's neither a country nor the passport-country.

You can get passport covers that say 'Wales Passport', but they are not official.

• Like 1

It was issued in Cardiff, Wales.  The Customs guy's contention was there is no such place as Wales.  It doesn't exist.  Therefore the passport was fake.  A map cleared it up.

• Like 2

yeah - I'm in Washington. my COUNTY is bigger than a couple east coast states.

My county has a larger population than 42 states. 😂

This stuff drives my godmother crazy. For her it's a bit more understandable. She hates when weather reports a hurricane affecting the Carolinas. She is right on the coast, but every storm does not affect the coastlines of North and South Carolina. I check the paths of tropical storms before checking on her.

My Midwest family is guilty of this. First, I live in Charlotte NOT Charleston. Second I'm 3 hours from the nearest coastal town! And just because the hurricane is, say, Cnarleston doesnt mean it affects the entire Carolina coast. I need to give some of them a map highlighting my area!

Edited by tdbates78

My county has a larger population than 42 states. 😂

My county is as big as Connecticut, but it has only @10,000 people, 6000 of whom live in one town.

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 3

That is definitely frustrating. We used to live Alaska, and now we live in the Florida panhandle, so I feel your pain.

I'm from southern Illinois, but if I tell people I'm from Illinois most assume Chicago. Folks, I promise not everyone from IL is from Chicagoland! So I completely get this. I've only visited a few times as it was a good 5-6 hour drive. Now I just say St. Louis :) Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1