Menu

Thred Up?

solascriptura

Years and years ago, when they were new, I had some luck - it wasn't fabulous but not terrible, either.  Then they changed something about their business model (this was also years ago), and I felt that it wasn't worthwhile.  I don't know if they've changed again in the past 4 - 5 years, but I probably would choose another outlet, unless I had no other way to recycle the clothes.  

FWIW, I ended up freecycling all of DD's clothes.  She wore nice clothes, mostly Gymboree, Hanna Anderson, and boutique names, with a few Lands End items.  So they weren't bottom of the line items.  I had no convenient way to sell them, and giving them away to people who needed/loved/were thrilled to receive them felt better than the measly amount Thred UP would send.  Fortunately, we could afford that.  It just rankled me that Thred UP essentially wanted donations that they would then sell. For a profit.  Ugh.

• Like 1

I won't sell anymore since they changed their model.

When I did, I sent a bunch of Gymboree, Hanna Anderson, J.Jill, etc. One full bag netted me a whole 7.49. I get more (and this speaks volumes) at once upon a child for my stuff.

Any chance you have a local yard sale group online? I make more selling on it.

That's what I thought. I know that even the consignment shops need to make some money, but they give too little to the sellers. I have J crew, Banana Republic coats and shoes and the local shop wanted to give me 17 dollars. The stuff is in pristine condition. I'd rather just give it away then.

• Like 1

I did one bag several years ago - stuffed it full of Gymboree, Hanna Anderssen, Hartstrings, etc. I got about $35; I was happy, but I kind of forgot about them. I did one bag just last year - stuffed it full of CJ Banks, Gymboree, etc. I got $7.35. I take my stuff to the consignment shop here in town - they give me only a hair more than that $7.35, but I get to support a local business. 

I do occasionally order things for my kids from there - middle dd was in that awkward too-big-for-Gymboree-too-small-for-Juniors stage this past year, and I found some XXS Junior clothes and some XXL kids' clothes that worked for her without having to drive all over town.

• 2 weeks later...