Menu

Do you wear scarves?

Jean in Newcastle

I'm talking about light-weight gauzy scarves, not knitted mufflers.  I have a friend who keeps giving me beautiful scarves.  I've never worn a scarf in my life.  I don't know how to wear them and feel a bit silly trying.  Are they still in style?  Should I look at Youtubes or something? 

(PS - did you know that if you type scarf or scarve over and over it starts to look really weird?) 

I have no idea whether they are in style nor do I care - I wear scarves in fall, winter, and spring because I like them. They are an easy way to accessorize clothing and give neutral tops some personality. I also like the feeling of having something around my neck .

Lots of ways to wear them.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

I hope they are still in style. I wore one to church this morning. :)

I like them on occasion in place of jewelry. Today I used one to dress up my skirt and t-shirt. My favorite way to tie is simply fold in half, drape around my neck, and pull the loose end through the folded end. (You need a longer, skinnier scarf for that style.) Quick and easy.

This page shows lots of different ways to tie a scarf: http://www.scarves.net/scarf-tying-index.html

• Like 2

I've worn them on occasion but I find them annoying.  I don't like anything fussy around my face.  I don't wear big earrings, or scarves, or much jewelry, or even my hair down.  Those are all things that will feel like they are in my way if I'm trying to do something.

I want to like scarves.  I think they really add a pulled-together look to outfits and can dress up jeans and a blouse quite a bit.  I just can't stand the feeling of wearing one.

• Like 1

I love scarves--that fun pop of color next to my face makes me happy. I also love the long vertical lines a scarf can create up and down my front. 

I've recently made a commitment to dressing up an outfit with a scarf. You know, taking a solid color tee or shirt with jeans and adding a scarf to bring in more color. ....but I'm going to have to work on summer looks. Too hot....maybe I can figure out a smaller scarf--more of a kerchief size...

​Infinity scarves--love the look on other people. For me, they add too much bulk to my already bulky chest. 

I used to wear them in the 70s when they were popular. Almost every photo taken of me in college has me wearing a scarf. Then something happened. My mind went blank and I no longer know how to wear them. Or maybe I just don't look good in them anymore. Anyway, I don't wear them even though I think they're lovely. Plus, it's awfully hot even for light gauzy ones.

I have no idea whether they are in style nor do I care - I wear scarves in fall, winter, and spring because I like them. They are an easy way to accessorize clothing and give neutral tops some personality. I also like the feeling of having something around my neck .

Lots of ways to wear them.

This exactly. I tend to dress fairly uniformly...plain knit top or sweater and pants or skirt. A scarf is a pretty easy way to add a little color and make a basic outfit look different on different occasions. 

I wear them almost all the time for work (business casual). I will often pair a necklace with it. I don't know if they are in style or not but I love them and often get compliments on my outfits &/or scarves. (One I love wearing is a bright geometric print one that belonged to my grandmother. She wore it back in the '80s.)

• Like 2

I used to never wear them. Then, DD urged me to try a couple. Now I have several. I do like the way they add flair to an otherwise plain top. There are lots of scarf-tying tutorials online.

Yes I do like certain types. I like thinner fabric, no satin-y, long and wide - I hate the short thin strips.

I wore one yesterday to church. The outfit was black leggings under a dusky red, all one block colour, skater dress, and scarf, which is kind of a white/black/grey in a couple of patterns, just wrapped simply and loosely with the ends on my chest (it's my favourite scarf). And docs. Lol.

• Like 1

I didn't used to, but then about 2 years ago, I started wearing them sometimes - what I found was that, particularly in the Fall, they actually provided quite a lot of warmth.  So especially if I am waring a shirt that has a v or scoop neck, and usually a jacket or some sort of sweater, I'll wear one.

I like them to be a little larger than some, and I usually look it around double and slip the end through the loop.  Not every scarf looks equally good this way, and I really haven't figured out smaller ones.  Often I'll take it off if I take off the jacket, but not always.

I have started wearing them more and more. I usually wear them in the fall and almost always in the winter. I wear the same things often as I only have a few outfits so scarves allow me to feel like there is variety -- though I often pick my 2-3 favorite ones most often. Or which ever one is hanging by the door.

• Like 1

I wear them when my neck gets cold. Like now I'm wearing a button down shirt and the top button is undone and so my neck is feeling a draft. It's ok today, but if it was a couple of degrees colder, my neck would be too cold, so I'd put on a scarf.

I'm talking about light-weight gauzy scarves, not knitted mufflers.  I have a friend who keeps giving me beautiful scarves.  I've never worn a scarf in my life.  I don't know how to wear them and feel a bit silly trying.  Are they still in style?  Should I look at Youtubes or something? 

(PS - did you know that if you type scarf or scarve over and over it starts to look really weird?) 

I live where it is hot, so I don't like the scarves to be tight around my neck (unless it is winter).

In summer, if I have a square, gauzy scarf, I fold it in half to get a triangle, then tie a tiny knot with the very ends & just put it over my head like you would with a long necklace (with the knot in back). The end result looks similar to this. Or this. For smaller, square scarves, this or this. If I have a necklace that coordinates, I'll wear that too. (In fact, my avatar is a photo of one of my favorite scarves.)

If you don't want to wear them, they can be cute knotted into a belt loop or even on a purse strap/handle. (I have a Halloween scarf I love & I always knot it around my purse strap in October. It's very fun.)

• Like 2

I like the long, gauzy ones.

I wear them on solid dresses usually, which makes the dresses look different from one day to the next.  Like, I have a black Vickki Vi dress, and I wear a yellow gauzy scarf one day, and a lavender one another day, and a multi Easter egg colored infinity scarf another day and I look like I have a whole new outfit.  I usually either wear the gauzy ones straight down, or with one loose tie at about high stomach level with ends trailing way down.

With suits or jackets I wear the narrow knitted scarves in solid colors.  I have a whole bunch of those in a pattern I invented, several different colors, mostly rich solids.  

I do in the fall.  I seem to have a lot of drab black outfits, and a scarf adds a little splash of color and keeps my neck warm.

I generally roll mine the longest way, fold it in half, drape it around my neck from the back, and tuck the loose ends through the folded end.  I don't know if that makes sense...

Edited to try and describe it better!

Edited by J-rap

I've worn them on occasion but I find them annoying.  I don't like anything fussy around my face.  I don't wear big earrings, or scarves, or much jewelry, or even my hair down.  Those are all things that will feel like they are in my way if I'm trying to do something.

I want to like scarves.  I think they really add a pulled-together look to outfits and can dress up jeans and a blouse quite a bit.  I just can't stand the feeling of wearing one.

This.  When I used to try to wear a scarf I was constantly adjusting and fidgeting with it until I finally took it off.  I love the look on others, but I can't wear them.  

No way! I've seen them on others and thought they looked beautiful, really made the outfit pop or added nice color, whatever it may be. But since I'm only 5'2", and ....well  let's just say more pounds than I would prefer, and very large books to boot, they look ludicrous on me. They don't hang at all, they instead are laying as if on a table up in my face. No thanks! Not only does that make me too hot and annoy me by being all up in my face, I'm afraid it would draw unwanted attention to the ol' books. So I pass, and just admire them on other ladies.

I also can't wear khaki pants, but that's a whole other story.

• Like 1

No way! I've seen them on others and thought they looked beautiful, really made the outfit pop or added nice color, whatever it may be. But since I'm only 5'2", and ....well  let's just say more pounds than I would prefer, and very large books to boot, they look ludicrous on me. They don't hang at all, they instead are laying as if on a table up in my face. No thanks! Not only does that make me too hot and annoy me by being all up in my face, I'm afraid it would draw unwanted attention to the ol' books. So I pass, and just admire them on other ladies.

I also can't wear khaki pants, but that's a whole other story.

Hence the reason I only wear jeans!  What other pants can one wear??

• Like 1

Yes, I wear them. I'm not terribly creative with arranging them, and I generally wear them when the weather is cooler. But they do a good job dressing up or adding interest to a plain t-shirt. I also wear them with a button down shirt if I'm wearing a t-shirt under it.

I wear them all the time, all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Scarves have always been chic.  I don't think they'll ever go out of style.  Here is a really cool video of 25 ways to tie a scarf.  The vlogger is Wendy's LookBook, which also has other great fashion videos, but I love her scarf tutorials. 

• Like 1

I wear them all the time, all kinds of shapes and sizes. Scarves have always been chic. I don't think they'll ever go out of style. Here is a really cool video of 25 ways to tie a scarf. The vlogger is Wendy's LookBook, which also has other great fashion videos, but I love her scarf tutorials.

https://youtu.be/5LYAEz777AU

Audrey, I keep your fashion tips from over the years in mind when I get dressed. Thanks for sharing them. (3 pieces every day...)

• Like 1

Audrey, I keep your fashion tips from over the years in mind when I get dressed. Thanks for sharing them. (3 pieces every day...)

Oh wow! Thanks for saying that! I do love fashion. I'm glad I've been useful.  :D

All the time, all seasons.  Part of my uniform.  Mostly very large very thin gauzy cotton ones that sort of roll small but I can wrap myself into like a burrito if I'm cold (which I often am, including in A/C).  I have a couple of fancier silk and thin-wool ones that I wear with dresses.

Also useful as bathing suit coverups, as instant privacy centers if you want to fall asleep on a plane without anybody seeing your drooling face, as a clean-ish place to plonk a baby on a rug, as emergency blankets if (again) you get cold, as a means of tying up carrying loose items ... no end, really, for the functions to which a large gauzy cotton scarf can be put...

• Like 2

Nope. I love the idea, but I am 5 feet tall with a big chest and tend to look like a hobbit playing dress-up when I try them. I love some of them so much though, that I buy them at thrift shops and use them on my furniture for decoration.