Menu

What trips/honeymoon ideas for a couple with cognitive challenges

Ottakee

My DD and her boyfriend would like to get married next year. Both have cognitive impairments. Neither drive.

We are looking at various options for honeymoons for them. Transportation and navigating places like airports, hotel registration, etc are challenges.

We have been looking at cruises where either DH and I or his parents would fly the SE flights and take the same cruise. That way though could have a lot of freedom but still have someone to help navigate everything.

Another idea is flying into an area that is very walkable so they could take a shuttle from the airport to hotel and then just walk or possibly use taxi/public transportation.

Any great ideas for us? Having to have someone else going along will basically double the price most likely.

How wonderful!  Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

A cruise sounds like a great choice.  I wonder about other locations where you can stay on site and there are restaurants, and activities all within walking distance or served by their own transportation system.  Disney, water park places like Great Wolf Lodge, or all inclusive resorts like Smuggler Notch (VT), or some places on the beach come to mind.

What do you think they'd like to do on their honeymoon?  Do they like active things?  Water?  Exploring cities? 

• Like 1

My first choice would not be a cruise, because you are in such close quarters with other people. Some people can be strange around those with disabilities. Plus, I don't like crowds -- so I am letting my personal preferences color what I think. Sorry!

My choice would be an all-inclusive resort. The example I am thinking of is something like a resort I visited 10 years ago; I hope it's still nice. It was a dude ranch in Bandera, in the Texas hill country. Guests don't have rooms; they have tiny houses scattered about the grounds. When we were there every day was filled with activities. For breakfast, you could go on a hayride or horseback ride to the breakfast location, where there was hearty cowboy fare and some strumming cowboy songs. Lassoing class. Square dancing class. Magic shows. Fishing in crystal clear limestone streams. You name it. You could be with people or by yourself. Lots of kids and lots of adult tourists from Germany who had been visiting every year for decades. No need for a car once you got there.

• Like 2

How wonderful! Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

A cruise sounds like a great choice. I wonder about other locations where you can stay on site and there are restaurants, and activities all within walking distance or served by their own transportation system. Disney, water park places like Great Wolf Lodge, or all inclusive resorts like Smuggler Notch (VT), or some places on the beach come to mind.

What do you think they'd like to do on their honeymoon? Do they like active things? Water? Exploring cities?

They are fairly active but exploring cities, etc might be beyond their navigation/map skills unless it was a small tourist town with one main Street.

He likes water, her not as much. She loves horses, him not so much.

I could see Disney, esp Epcot where she could get her Germany fix or a cruise as being good as they would have various options but in more contained/controlled environment.

• Like 1

Alessandra that sounds pretty good. He is not interested on horseback riding bit might enjoy the rest. She owns a horse and is a good rider.

Also, they both have pretty good social skills so I think they would.be OK on a cruise. Many people don't realize the special needs unless they spend more time with them.

My worry on a group tour is that dd would talk and talk and talk and that would bother the others as everything is done as a group where on a cruise people come and go and do different activities.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 1