Menu

Online Tutor for French

Everyone,

I have seen people say they use a French Tutor - I am looking a recommendation of an online tutor.

I am not looking for a class.

What sites should I visit to look for a Tutor (Verbling, iTalki, TakeLessons?)  What questions should I ask the Tutor?  What is important to know to have a successful experience?

If you have an online teacher you love and want to share, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 1

We were very, very happy with Chantal Plummer.

She was really an ideal French teacher for us... She's a native of France, living in the States. She's got a lot of teaching experience, including teaching online, and at a range of levels, beginner to French lit.  She has the attention to detail that is so critical in a foreign language teacher, especially when correcting written work. She's patient. She'll work with whatever curriculum or lit texts you want help with. 

Her prices aren't as low as a student you might be able to find in some other country, but in foreign language instruction, you tend to get what you pay for. We were serious about learning to speak, read, and write in French, and I wanted to do it in the most efficient & effective way possible. I didn't want to spend years on "conversational French" when we could get much more than that out of the time we put into studying French. Working with Chantal was well worth the cost and the time we invested.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 4

Just echoing Yvonne, and thanks to her, we've been with Chantal for more than 2 years and are now lightly prepping for SAT 2 French, just to get a baseline so that we know what areas need improvement. But if the cost does matter, there are tutors on italki that will do conversation for about $10 per hour and then more if you need grammar. It could end up cheaper than Chantal because a student kind of needs more than one hour per week of language to see improvement. For italki, I ask beforehand what I would like. For Mandarin I found a great teacher for $10 per hour. It took a couple of tries to find this particular teacher even though other teachers were doing the same sort of thing - grammar, conversation, reading. But it came down to the quality of the teaching. Same thing for Arabic, excellent teacher on italki for $10 or hour, she did everything to help DD do well, but ultimately we stopped Arabic after 1 year for other reasons.

• Like 3

Just echoing Yvonne, and thanks to her, we've been with Chantal for more than 2 years and are now lightly prepping for SAT 2 French, just to get a baseline so that we know what areas need improvement. But if the cost does matter, there are tutors on italki that will do conversation for about $10 per hour and then more if you need grammar. It could end up cheaper than Chantal because a student kind of needs more than one hour per week of language to see improvement. For italki, I ask beforehand what I would like. For Mandarin I found a great teacher for $10 per hour. It took a couple of tries to find this particular teacher even though other teachers were doing the same sort of thing - grammar, conversation, reading. But it came down to the quality of the teaching. Same thing for Arabic, excellent teacher on italki for $10 or hour, she did everything to help DD do well, but ultimately we stopped Arabic after 1 year for other reasons.

Which program have you been using for French?

• Like 1

I found our french tutor on verbalplanet and stayed with her for years (until DS started university classes in French).

She assigned homework and corrected it outside of the 45 min session. Happy to share name via pm, but you can see who the highest rated teachers ina given platform are.

• Like 1

Which program have you been using for French?

Not a program, just finished up with Excelsior's French 3. It's not the right level for your son, I think. He seems beyond the standard high school textbook level 3. Anyway, the best part of the class was writing short paragraphs every week and having the teacher correct them.

• Like 2