Menu

recommend Shakespeare videos for these 4 plays?

Hi, all, I'm hosting a "Shakespeare Series" for young-ish teens (approx. age 12-14), and I'm looking for some video recommendations for these 4 plays; I've seen a few versions personally, but it's been a while, and I don't remember them through a parent's perspective. :) It's a fairly conservative bunch of kids, and I'd like to stay away from gratuitous gore or sexually revealing scenes. 

A Midsummer Night's Dream (BBC has an old one and a new one, I think? I'll start with BBC and preview, but - looking for any and all recommendations from the Hive, too)

Richard III (I've actually never SEEN this play, only read it - I know, I know!)

Macbeth (does BJU have a version?)

Henry V (going with Kenneth Branagh on this one, pretty sure  <3 )

The primary goal is to enjoy & explore, not to analyze - we're going to do this party-style, with food & costumes & fun. 

Recommendations? And *thank you* in advance!

You might try the Orson Welles version of Macbeth.  It's pretty conservative and appropriate for any age group.  And similarly for Richard III - I might try the Lawrence Olivier.  John Gielgud is also in that one so it also gives you the opportunity to see some of the great Shakespearian actors.

What I've found is that more modern versions are often less like watching a play, which might be good or bad depending on your object, but also they often have more gore and sexual content.  There are some interesting ones done in modern settings too, but often with the same issues.

• Like 2

sigh... the system just ate my very detailed response with all sorts of links. I'll try to recreate.

past threads:

Clean Shakespeare movies for 13yo?

Best film versions of Shakespeare and other plays

Best version of Shakespeare movies

Help me create a list of Shakespeare-themed movies/plays

Favorite film version of Macbeth?

Introducing a Midsummer Night's Dream?

Kid appropriate movie adaptations of The Tempest?

Best video production of Twelfth Night?

Julius Caesar Shakespeare: how to do it? which DVD?

not about film titles, but these threads had ideas of other sorts that might fit with your class:

Shakespeare study

Shakespeare resources for middle school

Weigh in on which Shakespeare play

Macbeth

Well, my favorite version is Throne of Blood, Akira Kurasawa's 1950s black and white film adapted/retelling, set in samurai times -- the story, but no original Shakespeare language. :) Other possibilities:

1. BBC Shakespeare

from the TV staged versions of all the plays done back in the late 1970s/early 1980s; color, sparse sets, but decent costuming and acting, not bloody; the only place I see it available is Amazon video rental/streaming

abridged to 30 minutes, but uses all-Shakespeare original language; a great way to introduce this play -- I used it 2 years ago with high schoolers in a homeschool co-op Lit. & Comp class, before we read the play

3.  Orson Welles version

black and white; overall, a good eerie setting and decent acting; mostly faithful to the play, with a few parts of scenes either dropped or shifted to another section of the play; at times, muddy image and sound; may feel weird and draggy to tweens/young teens

color TV staged version; BUT, very sparse 19th century-ish costuming and minimalist to non-existent sets (also, I have a vague memory of someone saying there was some suggestive sexuality, but it was probably do-able..)

BJU Stage Drama DVDS include: Macbeth, King Lear, and Romeo & Juliet

- avoid: Polanski's R-rated film -- very bloody murder and full female n*dity

- avoid: 2015 Michael Fassbender version -- R-rated, AND it leaves out big chunks of the story to focus on specific themes of interest to the film's director

- possibly avoid: Patrick Steward version -- interesting WW1 setting, but bloody, and disturbing witches dressed as battlefield nurses

Henry V

If the battle scenes are too bloody/realistic from the Kenneth Branagh version, you might check out the Lawrence Olivier film (color) -- although, there the problem is that the film's version of the battle is a different interpretation than the play.

Richard III

JMO: I would substitute something else. You already are doing a heavy tragedy (Macbeth), and a history (Henry V). Histories require background info to understand what's going on, and they move slowly. Since your goal is enjoyment and exploration, I would choose an engaging, good movie version of a different play, rather than run the risk of getting hung up on "must do this play of Richard III" and being stuck with a slow-moving "fuddy-duddy" version that will turn off tweens. ;) Again, just my opinion! :)

Since your primary goals are exposure and enjoyment, I'd drop this and go for another comedy; humor right off the bat is very engaging, and the tropes of mistaken identities and trading places are very appealing to teens (ex: Freaky Friday and The Parent Trap...). Ideas of additional Shakespeare comedies: Much Ado About Nothing, Twelfth Night, As You Like It, Taming of the Shrew, or even The Comedy of Errors.

Or, to go along with the magic aspect of Midsummer Night's Dream, what about substituting The Tempest for Richard III? The Tempest is more serious than Midsummer Night's Dream, and it has interesting characters -- magical Ariel and Calaban, plus adult children characters and fathers who need to start letting go and letting their children become individuals/adults -- that theme might resonate with families with teens. :)

You could do the

, and then show and compare/contrast with the 1950s sci-fi film Forbidden Planet. That gives you the opportunity to talk see different types of versions of Shakespeare plays, and talk about how timeless the themes and ideas are in many of his plays.

Side note: The students in my film class last year really enjoyed discussing the theme of "forbidden knowledge" -- even though the effects of the film were a bit "hokey" by today's standards. I think it helped them give the film grace by me providing some background info about how the effects were done and how cutting edge they were, as well as how the themes really resonated with the political situations and fears of the 1950s. Of course, that may be getting farther afield than your plans or what you are required to do for this class... ;)

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Hi, all, I'm hosting a "Shakespeare Series" for young-ish teens (approx. age 12-14), and I'm looking for some video recommendations for these 4 plays; I've seen a few versions personally, but it's been a while, and I don't remember them through a parent's perspective. :) It's a fairly conservative bunch of kids, and I'd like to stay away from gratuitous gore or sexually revealing scenes. 

A Midsummer Night's Dream (BBC has an old one and a new one, I think? I'll start with BBC and preview, but - looking for any and all recommendations from the Hive, too)

There is one with Kevin Klein that is pretty good.

Richard III (I've actually never SEEN this play, only read it - I know, I know!)

I'm partial to Ian McKellen but this play from the Hollow Crown seems popular as well.

Macbeth (does BJU have a version?)

I think I might pick any of the older versions here, there is an Ian McKellen/Judi Dench one from the 70s that might be more traditional.  I like the Patrick Stewart version set in a WWII/distopian environment but it is not everyone's cup of tea.  I haven't seen the Michael Fassbender from 2015 but it is certainly widely available.

Henry V (going with Kenneth Branagh on this one, pretty sure  <3 )

Branagh-without question.  Hollow Crown would be my second choice.

Many people interpret Shakespeare differently in performance.  Some emphasize madness, violence, love, etc.  I recommend previewing a version if you are unsure of your choice or concerned of what your audience might see.  Keep in mind you've picked 3 stories full of war and violence and one with a bit of romance, I don't know how well they will pass the test of gore and sex.  I try not to judge the plays for others because what people will tolerate is very different.

I think you could consider Much Ado About Nothing in place of Midsummer if needed.  The Branagh version has brief nudity at the beginning and one, not too physically revealing, but obvious scene later on. Do preview if you consider this.  Some versions of Macbeth and Richard III can get pretty bloody...  

Have fun-we've done Shakespeare parties with friends before and it's a blast!

The primary goal is to enjoy & explore, not to analyze - we're going to do this party-style, with food & costumes & fun. 

Recommendations? And *thank you* in advance!

SaveSave

We loved the Branagh version of Henry V. We also watched the St Crispin Day speech from the Hollow Crown for a fun comparison. That could be interesting for that age group if they have seen Tom Hiddleston as Loki in the Avenger/Thor movies.

Edited by Legomom