Menu

Semester at Sea

bibiche

I had a student who did Semester at Sea last year.  You said that it was an excellent experience.  He was a conscientious student.  He is into sailing, so he enjoyed some of the nautical experience that may be lost on a student who does not have that as an interest.

• Like 1

I had a student who did Semester at Sea last year. You said that it was an excellent experience. He was a conscientious student. He is into sailing, so he enjoyed some of the nautical experience that may be lost on a student who does not have that as an interest.

Thanks, that's good to know. I see that have a number of profs from good schools (Stanford, Brown, Brandeis, Penn, Johns Hopkins among others)*, so one would think it would be a serious educational experience, but I read conflicting reviews on College Confidential.

*I think you can have a serious educational experience at nearly any school - there are so few jobs in academia that someone who teaches at Podunk State is likely of equal caliber to someone who teaches at an "elite" school, but apparently even I take certain "name" schools more seriously. I'm working on getting over that!

I also had a friend whose father was a faculty member at Semester at Sea, but that was a long time ago.  Her conclusion was that it is a serious educational experience for those students who want it to be, which is the case at many schools.  I would have more concern about a number of students who are going on the trip thinking of it as extended summer camp than the quality of the teaching.  I have heard, second hand, of students who are less than serious about their studies participating.  The young man that I know who recently participated, however, was one of the most serious students that I have taught and he enjoyed the small community and the opportunity to get to interact with his professors on a closer, daily basis.

• Like 1