Menu

Forget chick lit. I need some old hen lit....

VaKim

Anybody read any good fiction books lately about middle-aged women having adventures or doing something new and exciting? I don't particularly care for romance for the sake of romance, but don't mind if a romance is included in the story. The last one I read was Under the Tuscan Sun. It was a bit over-long, but still a good read. 

• Like 2

If you haven't read the Ya Ya sisterhood, you might like it. I can't remember if Little Alters Everywhere was the prequel or the sequel. The books follow four southern women from childhood into middle age.

In the same vein, if I want to read something light and laugh, Fannie Flagg always is good.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 2

I'm only 48 and practically at the stage of prefering to reading books about Grandmothers! You may have good luck with mystery series with female protagonists as they seem to have a lot of latitude to do new and exciting things.

Folk Art Museum Director/Rancher/Solves Mysteries

https://smile.amazon.com/Fools-Puzzle-Benni-Harper-Mystery/dp/042514545X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503613416&sr=8-1&keywords=earlene+fowler+benni+harper+series

Dog Sled Racer/Private Eye/Solves Mysteries

https://smile.amazon.com/Cold-Murder-Kate-Shugak-Mystery/dp/042513301X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503613479&sr=1-3&keywords=kate+shugak

Financial Advisor/Do It Herself Home Renovator/Solves Mysteries

https://smile.amazon.com/Knockdown-Home-Repair-Homicide-Mystery/dp/0553593420/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503613612&sr=1-1&keywords=sarah+graves

• Like 3

The Women's Room is kind of a classic feminist novel of that genre.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle strikes me that way but is non-fiction, and I understand that there is a new edition with extra chapters now.

Eat, Pray, Love was good, again nonfiction.

I lived under the Tuscan sun and animal, mineral, vegetable, but couldn't get through Eat, Pray, Love. I'm not sure why. It should have been right up my alley

• Like 1

Major Pettigrew's Last stand was lovely. It was about a late middle aged English newly widowed man who befriends and then falls in love with a middle aged Muslim woman who owns a bakery, much to the consternation of his family. Even though he was the main character, she was so wonderful and the book was so satisfying.

When googling the title of the last book I found a whole list of books with middle aged women as protagonists:

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/subject/middle-aged+women

• Like 9

Major Pettigrew's Last stand was lovely. It was about a late middle aged English newly widowed man who befriends and then falls in love with a middle aged Muslim woman who owns a bakery, much to the consternation of his family. Even though he was the main character, she was so wonderful and the book was so satisfying.

When googling the title of the last book I found a whole list of books with middle aged women as protagonists:

I read that one and loved it!

Great link, and thanks for all the other suggestions so far! Keep them coming. I"m gonna check them all out tomorrow when I have more time. 

• Like 1

I read that one and loved it!

Great link, and thanks for all the other suggestions so far! Keep them coming. I"m gonna check them all out tomorrow when I have more time.

One of my favorites of all times. The type of understated and also rebellious that I aspire to :lol:

• Like 2

Thank you.  I'm now reading "I Remember Nothing" from your list & loving it. ;-)

Our library has it on ebook. 

• Like 1

I read a book this year that I really loved called Together Tea by Marjan Kamali.  The plot centers around the grown daughter finding a husband, but the middle-aged mother's character is really well written and realized, and I liked her story as she moved on from defining herself as a mother to finding herself again as much as the daughter's.

• Like 3

Mrs. Pollifax - any in the series... just.love.her   I want  to be Mrs. Pollifax when I grow up.    She's a 80 yr old widowed lady who decides she wants to work for the CIA (during the cold war).  She figures she knows karate and she's got time on her hands, so why not?   And she just shows up and asks for a job.   The audibles are very well done too... Can't remember the narrator, but she nails it. 

Prodigal Summer by Kingslover.  This one has a young, newly married woman, a middle-aged (ish), and an elderly woman - all three stories come together in the end.  Love.this.book.  I cried when it ended.  I wanted to be Deanna so badly it hurt.

Brigid Quinn series.  She is retired FBI agent who gets pulled back in.  These are not "light-and-fun" but thrillers... so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.  The first one in the series involves a serial killer.  It was a bit intense.  But, she's over 60 and a strong female lead.  I liked her enough that I want to try another in the series.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 3

First, a small PSA (public service announcement). The lovely ladies on the Book a Week thread are always ready to recommend titles. You don't have to be a regular, don't have to read a book a week, just pop in and start talking books!  

My recommendation is for the Vera Stanhope mysteries by Ann Cleeves.  These are standard British police procedurals feature Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope, a woman of a certain age and weight, she is single and without children, and a brilliant detective. What I love about these books is that Vera is a complex, multi-dimensional character who does NOT have some hidden trauma in her past. She is just who she is.

And thank you for the reminder to look for the Mrs. Pollifax books!

• Like 7

First, a small PSA (public service announcement). The lovely ladies on the Book a Week thread are always ready to recommend titles. You don't have to be a regular, don't have to read a book a week, just pop in and start talking books!

My recommendation is for the Vera Stanhope mysteries by Ann Cleeves. These are standard British police procedurals feature Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope, a woman of a certain age and weight, she is single and without children, and a brilliant detective. What I love about these books is that Vera is a complex, multi-dimensional character who does NOT have some hidden trauma in her past. She is just who she is.

And thank you for the reminder to look for the Mrs. Pollifax books!

:lol: You guys make me feel like such a slacker. But thanks for the heads up. Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

Another vote for the Miss Julia series, the author is Ann B. Ross.  I adore Miss Julia, I wish she was my grandmother!!  Great, funny series and she grows a big heart, it's neat to see her transforming from an unloved widow to this motherly person with family and friends all around her and adventure! 

• Like 1

The Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman.  I read it when I was much younger.  Thanks for bringing it to mind as I'll probably appreciate it even more at my age now.

Maeve Binchy, Evening Class. She doesn't start out middle aged but most of the book is about her there.

Those were my first two ideas. A lot of books by Maeve Binchy have characters of all different ages. A number of her books are short vignettes where each chapter is about entirely different people.

Also, maybe some old Agatha Christie books with Miss Marple?

• Like 1

Oh my! A bunch more to check out!

I was poking around and found a couple more I have read in the last year or so that I really loved. 

Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It was about a 50ish year old woman getting early onset Alzheimer's. It seems to me like it was actually written in first person. Anyway, I guess that isn't exactly an "adventure," but it was a really great book.

There Are Mountains to Climb by Jean Deeds. This was a memoire-type book about a 51 year old lady who walked the entire Appalachian Trail (something I would love to do in another life). 

I might have to check out that book-a-week thread again. Thanks for the reminder.

There Are Mountains to Climb by Jean Deeds. This was a memoire-type book about a 51 year old lady who walked the entire Appalachian Trail (something I would love to do in another life). 

If you find this one interesting, you might also check out Grandma Gatewood's Walk.

• Like 1

Speaking of books about middle-aged women climbing mountains, I recently put the book A Woman's Place is a the Top, a biography of Annie Smith Peck on my to-read list. She was the first woman to climb the Matterhorn in 1895 at the age of 45, in pants (gasp!). She went on to conquer many enen higher mountains.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Does it have to be fiction? This isn't really about a middle ages woman, but you might like "The Yellow Envelope". It's the true story of a woman who convinced her husband that they should quit their jobs, sell their house, and travel the world.

No, doesn't have to be fiction, actually. That sounds really good!

Forget chick lit. I need some old hen lit....

Just a note to say how much I'm enjoying your thread title!

Estelle Ryan's Genevieve Lenard series -- about a PhD who's autistic and reads body language to help her solve crimes, teamed up with an art thief. Really good. Each one named after an art masterpiece tied into the story.

I see that the first book is currently free for Kindle readers ~ 

The Gauguin Connection (Book 1) (Genevieve Lenard)  by Estelle Ryan

A couple of posts that might be of interest ~

5 Sci-Fi Fantasy Novels With Badass Middle-Aged Heroines  by Nikki VanRy

AND

Sleeps With Monsters: Older Women As Lead Characters In Urban Fantasy  by Liz Bourke  (read the comments for additional suggestions)

The lovely ladies on the Book a Week thread are always ready to recommend titles. You don't have to be a regular, don't have to read a book a week, just pop in and start talking books! 

I'll second this suggestion.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Now you'll have to come back and tell us what you think of your choices... because ya know you're going to have to read all of them   :001_tt2:

:scared:  :lol:  I wish we had a laugh button (like on facebook) instead of just a like button. (Button probably isn't the right word, but remember, I'm an old hen.)

Just a note to say how much I'm enjoying your thread title!

I see that the first book is currently free for Kindle readers ~ 

The Gauguin Connection (Book 1) (Genevieve Lenard)  by Estelle Ryan

A couple of posts that might be of interest ~

5 Sci-Fi Fantasy Novels With Badass Middle-Aged Heroines  by Nikki VanRy

AND

Sleeps With Monsters: Older Women As Lead Characters In Urban Fantasy  by Liz Bourke  (read the comments for additional suggestions)

I'll second this suggestion.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the links. I snagged that freebie!

• Like 2