Menu

Zumdahl World of Chemistry, questions

I found a copy in great shape at the used book store for $8. It is a 2002 edition.

Is this a good selection for chemistry? Also, anyone have a good syllabus to go along with it? 

Also, any suggestions to what anyone maybe used for labs with this? I can see labs in the book. I am considering having him do the labs from Apologia along side or something. I have an Apologia 2nd edition book.

World of Chemistry is excellent.

I used it as a supplement to Spectrum and we did the Spectrum labs (which were also excellent).  If I had it to do over again, I would use World of Chemistry as the primary program and run the Spectrum labs somewhat behind.  

• Like 2

I used it as a supplement to Spectrum and we did the Spectrum labs (which were also excellent).  If I had it to do over again, I would use World of Chemistry as the primary program and run the Spectrum labs somewhat behind.  

Did your children also study from the Spectrum book? Or did they mostly study from the World of Chemistry book and then do the experiments with it?

Exactly our experience last year!

I also think World of Chemistry is a great book. Our copy was from 2006 or 2007 I think. But I don't imagine much has changed. I do remember when we were prepping for SAT Chem exam, some topics that came up in Barrons guide were not in Zumdahl book. So, be aware of it. I think something like 10% to 15% was new material. But I don't see it as a problem if your kids are not going for the test after. If they do, have a reference book that gives you an idea.