Menu

So....my four older kids started public school today.

meganrussell

And it's bittersweet. I don't know what I'm going to do with my time. I do have a kindergartner still home with me. I am so worried about them right now! Ugh! When will I quit worrying? They are 9th, 7th 4th and 1st grades. Maybe say a prayer for them?

I just peaked at your blog...It looks like this was a surprise switch.  You already started your HS year?

Hugs and prayers for you.  Whatever circumstances led you to make the decision, I pray for peace for you.  Your sweeties will be fine.:)

• Like 2

And it's bittersweet. I don't know what I'm going to do with my time. I do have a kindergartner still home with me. I am so worried about them right now! Ugh! When will I quit worrying? They are 9th, 7th 4th and 1st grades. Maybe say a prayer for them?

I am sure they will be fine.  A supportive parent like you at home can do wonders for public school kids.

• Like 1

I just peaked at your blog...It looks like this was a surprise switch. You already started your HS year?

Hugs and prayers for you. Whatever circumstances led you to make the decision, I pray for peace for you. Your sweeties will be fine.:)

Yes, it was a surprise in some ways. I had been considering it for a while. I was so overwhelmed homeschooling 5 different age groups, and my high schooler has really wanted to go to public. We have talked it over off and on for over a year. I just felt like it needed to happen now since she is starting high school. And I gave my others the option of going, and the four older ones wanted to go, too. So - they did. :-)

• Like 2

I would be happy to pray for them! I am sure you made the decision that is best for your family.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I feel like it was the right decision. I prayed about it, but my husband isn't crazy about them going to school. He would prefer they be homeschooled all the way through. My 7th grader is playing football though, and my husband has seen how happy it has made him. But this morning, he kept telling me how sad it was they were going to school... So it made me sad.

I feel like it was the right decision. I prayed about it, but my husband isn't crazy about them going to school. He would prefer they be homeschooled all the way through. My 7th grader is playing football though, and my husband has seen how happy it has made him. But this morning, he kept telling me how sad it was they were going to school... So it made me sad.

Sounds like us. I am so overwhelmed and kind of wishing to send my kids to school, but dh is urging me to give it a bit longer before I decide. (He knows me)

I hope your kids had a great day!

It is sad maybe like an end of an era, than sad like something bad has happened.

It is the end of an era! Your husband can feel sad about it.

I hope your kids come home and had good days, aren't too tired, etc. I hope they have some excitement and pride at going and being big whatever-graders at school.

That is the best case scenario I think!

I hope it is a "sniff kids getting older and things changing" kind of sad, and not a "I really really don't like this" sad.

• Like 2

People tend to forget that the current homeschooling movement isn't that old and that most of us are products of the public school system and we didn't turn out so bad.

Your home life will help shape your children regardless of whatever they experience in public education.

Make the most of it.

And know that education should happen over the course of a lifetime and whatever they do not learn in the public arena they can learn elsewhere.

• Like 1

You can only do what you can do. We all have our limits, and there should be no shame in that. I personally would have a very difficult time homeschooling five different ages. 

See how it goes and you can always revisit the possibility of homeschooling later on if need be.

Hope your kids had a good first day.  :)

They all four love it. They had a great three days. I was surprised that each of them like it. I don't know how I feel though! My five year old and I had some long days. We didn't know what to do with ourselves! After cleaning the whole house, doing his school, and playing outside, we just kind of looked at each other. He kept saying he missed the kids and let's go pick up the kids and stuff like that. Hopefully it will get better for us. I have time for some more Kindergarten activities, just need to plan some!

• Like 4

They all four love it. They had a great three days. I was surprised that each of them like it. I don't know how I feel though! My five year old and I had some long days. We didn't know what to do with ourselves! After cleaning the whole house, doing his school, and playing outside, we just kind of looked at each other. He kept saying he missed the kids and let's go pick up the kids and stuff like that. Hopefully it will get better for us. I have time for some more Kindergarten activities, just need to plan some!

I only homeschool my son while my daughter is at public school. I did join a co-op and local support group for field trips. It gives us something to do while his sister is at school and it keeps us from having a staring contest everyday 😊 Maybe a park day with other moms or something would be fun for your little guy.

ETA- And I'm so glad the older kids love school! That is wonderful news!

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I am not sure what I will do Monday. I am ready and happy for the little children to go. I am opposite a lot I guess. I like them to go away for the lower grades. But I already had grand plans for the older kids for the year and we had already started the year. Now, even the 13 yr old is going! THAT I am getting a little weepy about. But I will admit, I have moments where I am happy and excited to not have that responsibility anymore and then other moments where I do not want him to go. 

BUT, what I was TRYING to say when I started rambling..I am unsure how things will go with just a 2 yr old and 15 yr old around. I suppose I will clean? 2 yr old might get sad and bored with no siblings around.