Menu

Does it annoy you

Elizabeth86

My teens do it all the time, mostly my 15 yr old. Yes, very annoying. And sometimes, well beyond annoying.

Ha! You're right. I was thinking about the question in terms of "people outside our family," but truthfully the main offender in this is my oldest child.

And sometimes it annoys me because it's expressly going against my wishes, but it also occasionally annoys me when I have to take a step back and realize, "Wait, do I sound like that? Did she learn that from me?"

I find it very seldom happens otherwise in the U.S. When we travel to visit our non-U.S. relatives, I have to approach it in a zen way: it's good for my kids to receive a different approach just in case all of my validating, how-to-talk-so-kids-will listen-style parenting is actually Wrong, because my kids are guaranteed to get a good dosage of scolding, lecturing, preaching, and hovering from their other relatives and random strangers who find it their duty to intervene with my hands-off style, trust-the-kids style. In other words, it annoys me beyond belief, and (not so?) secretly I side with my kids when they complain about the adult interference!

• Like 1

Honestly, it annoys me even more when a parent is right there, and isn't parenting their child.  I've definitely spoken up to stop a child from causing damage. . .with a parent nearby doing nothing.

Once, a parent was ordering at a deli counter while their child was punching and pummeling the loaves of fresh baked bread.  I spoke up.  Another time, a child was grabbing and tearing at the large leaves of a decorative plant with a parent saying nothing. I spoke up.

I'm not even sorry if the parent was annoyed.  Children need to be told when they are out of line, by someone.

• Like 30

Honestly, it annoys me even more when a parent is right there, and isn't parenting their child. I've definitely spoken up to stop a child from causing damage. . .with a parent nearby doing nothing.

Once, a parent was ordering at a deli counter while their child was punching and pummeling the loaves of fresh baked bread. I spoke up. Another time, a child was grabbing and tearing at the large leaves of a decorative plant with a parent saying nothing. I spoke up.

I'm not even sorry if the parent was annoyed. Children need to be told when they are out of line, by someone.

Yeah this a bit different than what Im thinking though. Mostly family is the issue we have. And Im talking, not even giving us a chance, just instantly jumping in. Personal things too, not just your getting ready ti break grandmas family heirloom, just like argiung with his brother. Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

Actually, I love it when my older kids tell my younger kids to behave. They admire their older siblings and it reinforces that the behavior isn't just out of line because mom says so, it's just plain out of line. I do not expect my kids to discipline each other, but it doesn't bother me to get some backup.

• Like 5

Honestly, it annoys me even more when a parent is right there, and isn't parenting their child. I've definitely spoken up to stop a child from causing damage. . .with a parent nearby doing nothing.

Once, a parent was ordering at a deli counter while their child was punching and pummeling the loaves of fresh baked bread. I spoke up. Another time, a child was grabbing and tearing at the large leaves of a decorative plant with a parent saying nothing. I spoke up.

I'm not even sorry if the parent was annoyed. Children need to be told when they are out of line, by someone.

Yes. I will speak to someone else's child if the parent is ignoring (a) a dangerous situation, (b) bullying and/or willful property destruction that the parent is ignoring.

• Like 4

Question here - we have a group meeting in a small building. Sometimes the younger boys are engaged in a huge hug/wrestling match (closest analogy I can get - fire ants crawling all over each other in a flood situation to save themselves) or chasing race that threatens the safety of others as well as the chairs in the building. We have several small (6 month (crawling)-4 years old) children present as well. Their moms don't even see it. I tell them to settle down and sit down. Is this offensive to the moms? To my untutored eyes, they don't even see this happening. I find it distressing. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

Honestly, it annoys me even more when a parent is right there, and isn't parenting their child.  I've definitely spoken up to stop a child from causing damage. . .with a parent nearby doing nothing.

Once, a parent was ordering at a deli counter while their child was punching and pummeling the loaves of fresh baked bread.  I spoke up.  Another time, a child was grabbing and tearing at the large leaves of a decorative plant with a parent saying nothing. I spoke up.

I'm not even sorry if the parent was annoyed.  Children need to be told when they are out of line, by someone.

Ditto.  I saw a toddler walking on delicate plants at a National Park once - very near a sign telling folks to stay off the plants because of how delicate they were.  I stopped the toddler.  The dad came over very angry telling me he'd take care of his own kid.  I told him I wished he would because if he did I wouldn't have to.

Otherwise, in general situations, I didn't mind if others parented my kids.  Almost always they were saying the same thing we would have and it helps kids to hear it from more than one person (it isn't just mom/dad who feel this way).  When their thoughts were different we'd just discuss it later and how people are different.  We'd decide together when/if what they were told should be followed.  (Their house, their rules usually - our house, our rules.)

• Like 3

yes - dudeling is on the spectrum, and I've had people come up to him and start "parenting him" while I am directly working with him.   I recall one I was so shocked - I could *not*  even say anything.  (she said her snotty comment, and walked right off.  I found out she was visiting someone and didn't actually live in the area.)

the other - I said something to the person, who got all defensive.  (not my problem . . .  )

eta;  -add missed word

eta: I guess because he's on the spectrum - and they don't know it - they are very inappropriate in what they do to "try and parent a kid they don't even know."

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

It's less irritating when someone briefly corrects one of my children in front of me, than when they push me out of the way to comfort one of my kids when they've been injured. When they get hurt, I usually don't help them up immediately so I can see what's injured and whether or not they can get up under their own power. Then we can do the hugs and boo-boo kissing and joking of cutting the damaged limb off. One time, one of my then 4-5yo sons fell off a small retaining wall, and my mom shoved past me to scoop him up before he even knew what happened to him. He was fine, but she was hugging and squeezing him so hard and wailing over him, and I had no idea what he'd injured, if anything. He was fine, just some scrapes, but could have easily broken an arm if he'd fallen a different way. Or could have had a broken arm hugged into him.

Not to mention, that's MY kid, and I'm STANDING RIGHT HERE. Do that anxiety-laced grandparent doting crap when I'm not here to see it.

• Like 2

It depends. Sometimes I like the "it takes a village" mentality and if my children are doing something that effects others in the world I like them to know that. Kids can be very egocentric and realizing what we are doing is effecting those around us increases our awareness.

When it comes to family jumping in before I have had a chance, or a stranger butting in when I am already parenting, well that is over the line and I would say so. "In our home we left siblings try to solve their disagreements first before jumping in. They will let us know if they need wise counsel" for example. My in laws have overstepped but I believe they mean well. I just try to remind them of how we parent and why.

In our family we have always designated some level of managerial privilege to olders so my two oldest do an incredible job parenting if they need to tag team. They are calm, even and parent exactly like me. My soon to be 8 year old I have begun to "put in charge". If I say "I am getting into the shower, you are in charge of everyone" she takes it seriously and tries to do a good job. We take the position here though that if you are placed into a leadership position you have a servants heart for those below you. It really changes how someone leads in a good way.

• Like 1

I had a time when we were at our library with my 4 yr old and a group of elderly people have their coffee and chat sessions. One of the men gave my daughter a cookie, immediately, before my polite little had a chance, a lady jumped in from across the table and told her to say thank you.

There was a time at the park that I spoke up when a school age boy about 9 was speaking harshly to my 4yr old girl and telling her she wasn't allowed on the playground equipment and told her to go away. My daughter didn't understand what was going on. She looked at me and I explained to the boy that if he is having a problem we can have a talk with his Grandpa and that he is never to speak to my child that way. The boy was giving me attitude until I invoked his Grandfather. He left my kid alone after that. I didn't know the family but we were both frequent park visitors.

Edited by Mommyof1

Yes and no.  If I am clearlly not seeing some serious/annoying/harmful thing my kid is doing then yes speak up.  Now that they are 16 and 17 I have less times this would even happen.  But I remember one time my then 14ish ds was trying to get my attention in a crowd and finally called out 'Scarlett'.  A family friend asked me if I wanted him to speak to ds about his disrespect in calling me Scarlett. I said, 'uh, no I do not.'  5 minutes later he did it anyway when I was out of earshot.  I was FURIOUS.  When ds asked me about it I told him not to worry about it and he did nothing wrong.  If I want to let me kid call me Scarlett all of the time it is none of that friend's business.  

• Like 1

Yes, very much so. A family member does this on a regular basis and it irritates me. One incident sticks in my mind when Ds ran past a friend of mine, must have squeezed through and she says "well excuse YOU!!" in a very rude tone. He was only about 3 or 4.  :huh:

The only time I do it is if it's a safety issue or they are destroying something. I would hope in this case, other parents would say something to mine as well. 

Just to be clear on my position, if a parent is parenting their offspring, I see no need to interfere.  It's only when they aren't doing so and something major is going on (damage, fight, whatever).  Being "rude" to their parent or sibling is not something I consider major because I know families have different levels of what they tolerate (as do we).  If my kids are/were seeing the interaction we would just discuss it later as with many other things we see.

If parents aren't around and kids are behaving badly, I have no problem saying something.  It might be why I do pretty well controlling high school classrooms.  ;)  

This latter one happened once at a roller skating arena.  One high school kid started using swear words.  His friend told him he shouldn't be saying that.  The lad said, "Our parents aren't around, who cares?"  It came as second nature for me to look him in the eye and say, "I care and so do many others around you, esp with younger kids here."  He corrected his language.

Many times it really does take a village for kids to figure out it's not just their mom/dad who are the "big meanies" teaching typical normal behavior and tact.

• Like 6

If I'm right there it annoys me, unless I don't notice it because I'm busy with another child or something and they really do need to stop what they're doing, such as at a grocery store checkout if one tries to climb on something while I'm trying to load the bags on the cart so I don't notice right away.

There's a woman at our church that has corrected my kids so many times while I am right there, before I can even open my mouth to say something. She does it to everybody...I seriously wonder if she goes around correcting strangers' children at the grocery store. One time she came up to me and a couple other moms all in a huff because our kids were playing the nursery without an adult, telling us they shouldn't be up there and weren't supervised. They weren't causing problems and there's no policy against kids playing in the nursery, she just thinks she shpuld control everything. I am not an outspoken person but it was all I could do not to say, "If you're so worried about it, YOU go up there and supervise them!"

I find I'm a lot less irritated in my older age bc I no longer feel any need whatsoever to silently fume about such things. Dear Anyone, if you think you know my kid better than me and feel comfortable enough to act like it in public, then you better be just as comfortable with me correcting you publicly.

And also, if my kid is in the wrong, then I don't much mind someone saying something.

But people are weird. I once had someone tell my boys to stop fight with sticks at the park. My kids looked confused towards me and I just held up my knitting "sticks" and told them to not play so close to her kids. I think she ticked that I didn't tell them to mind her. But she isn't the boss of the playground or my kids. That woman was wound so tight I have no idea how her head didn't pop off. She must have told those two kids of her's to be careful a hundred times. It's a playground. They are 4-8 yr ages. The precious ones are going to get dirty and they are going to get bruises and scrapes. If they are doing it right anyways. Imnsvho.

My favorite least liked comment from other parents is the passive aggressive indirect insult of telling my kid(s) within earshot of me:

"You are such a great/smart/nice kid, I don't know why your mom has to be so controlling/sheltering/protective/over involved".

Makes no sense. If what I'm doing has a positive result, I'm going to keep doing it, not decide to stop.

• Like 1

Question here - we have a group meeting in a small building. Sometimes the younger boys are engaged in a huge hug/wrestling match (closest analogy I can get - fire ants crawling all over each other in a flood situation to save themselves) or chasing race that threatens the safety of others as well as the chairs in the building. We have several small (6 month (crawling)-4 years old) children present as well. Their moms don't even see it. I tell them to settle down and sit down. Is this offensive to the moms? To my untutored eyes, they don't even see this happening. I find it distressing.

I would be proactively suggesting a physical separation of play space (separate rooms, a baby fence, chairs lined up across the middle of the room). That lets the other moms know that you have a general level of concern rather than "your kids are behaving improperly."

Yeah, see this is not at all what Im describing. We are at the inlaws with sil, dh, me and our 3 kids and you would think dh and I were not even in the room. My inlaws do not enjoy the grandkids, they just like to try and correct them and sil is suffocating. The boys were arguing and they very unfairly tried to settle the arguement. Dh set it right though. If my kids are out of hand thats one thing all together. They literally look for things to gripe about.

See, I am annoying the other way - I always tell kids to listen to their mom.  Mom is the boss!

Why should I care how other people raise their kids - I don't have to live with them, or support them in adulthood if they are helpless.  :P

I mean there are exceptions - some things are obvious and un-controversial.  "Gentle hands" when someone is manhandling a baby or animal ....  "Keep it nice" when someone is being destructive of others' property ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

My oldest is, and has been, one of the worst about jumping in and telling his younger siblings what to do or not do, generally as I am opening my mouth to address the situation. "I do not need help being Mom!" is my standard phrase. That and, "I'm sitting right here. If it was a problem, I would have dealt with it."

Mmm...this is a tough one. 

My personal philosophy is that it takes a village, and I fully expect adults to speak up if my kids being a brat. But, I realize that what some people think is a big deal, is not to others-and therein lies the problem.

For example, I took my kids to a park a few weeks ago and there was a 7 yr. old there who caused physical damage to 3 kids at the park in a matter of 5 minutes. She was going around purposely hurting people, and then called my 10 year old son an "F" in Bit$%"

So in that case, I would most definitely read the kid the riot act (and did) regardless if the parents were there. Um no, you're not going to assault my kid and me stand there doing nothing afraid of offending someone. If that means the parent and I had a few words, than so be it.  In this case, the parent was NOT there so I unleashed pretty well unafraid of offending. But honestly, I didn't even look around to see if there was somebody there.

In any other circumstance that is not that extreme, I generally keep quiet I guess. But, I'm not afraid of saying something to correct minor infractions either. I just think if we as adults just let these things go, then what is that showing the kids? That we accept their behavior? I have had others correct my kids in the past and while it stings for a moment, I am appreciate that they saw the behavior and said something.

• Like 3

Oh, I am guessing they see it. It's just that their tolerance level is different than yours. I mean, if they thought the littles were in danger, they'd intervene.

FWIW, yesterday the kids and I (7, 5, 4, and 8 mo) went to our library. I took the umbrella stroller in. An 18 mo started climbing on it. I told the mom (whom I didn't know) that it was fine with me if it was fine with her. I did make sure the brakes were on. Anyway, the mom was clearly not happy her kid was climbing it. She kept her hand on the child the whole time.

I wouldn't do that unless there were SN in play. Heck, I let the 8 mo pull up on it and he really would love to be able to climb in.

I still can't figure out why she didn't just tell the child, "That's not ours. Let's find something else to play with."

So what I am getting at it what is distressing to you clearly doesn't register that way with the other parents.

Grandparents parenting over me annoys me even more.

THIS!!!!!  My sister and I were just venting to each other about how terrible our parents are when it comes to this.  It's constant.  We do believe that our parents genuinely are trying to help us.  Unfortunately it seems to work out that they undermine us when we're trying to enforce rules OR they try to enforce random strict rules that we don't agree with.  

• Like 1

Oh, I am guessing they see it. It's just that their tolerance level is different than yours. I mean, if they thought the littles were in danger, they'd intervene.

FWIW, yesterday the kids and I (7, 5, 4, and 8 mo) went to our library. I took the umbrella stroller in. An 18 mo started climbing on it. I told the mom (whom I didn't know) that it was fine with me if it was fine with her. I did make sure the brakes were on. Anyway, the mom was clearly not happy her kid was climbing it. She kept her hand on the child the whole time.

I wouldn't do that unless there were SN in play. Heck, I let the 8 mo pull up on it and he really would love to be able to climb in.

I still can't figure out why she didn't just tell the child, "That's not ours. Let's find something else to play with."

So what I am getting at it what is distressing to you clearly doesn't register that way with the other parents.

There is such a wide spectrum of what people are comfortable with for sure. Your experience reminded me of one I when my oldest was about 3yo. I was a teen mom and I had taken him to the zoo. He was a full energy little boy and just loved to run and jump. He got so much glee out of it. He had amazing body control (walked at 7 months and did his first ninja crib escape at 10 months). This was a boy that knew what he was doing. Anyway, he was climbing on stone brick that stepped up like a wall. He would get to the top and jump into the grass. It was not that high and I was watching him closely. This woman who was there with her child who was probably about 5yo shackled to her via a harness kept making comments like "better be careful, that is high" in a passive aggressive singsong voice. She just wouldn't stop and I ignored her. She then came up to me and said "do you see him jumping off that?" As she clearly saw me standing there watching him and smiling. I said I did. When her husband walked up she says loud enough for me to hear "and THAT IS why teenagers should not have sex"

I am by no means a negligent parent but I was completely in control and knew what he was capable of. Meh...luckily I haven't dealt with that too much. Most people I feel mean well, some are just neurotic.

I find it interesting that some of you have had experiences with others thinking you're letting your kids "play with fire."  We never had that happen.  My youngest especially climbed high in trees - to the treetops - and was often on top of various playground equipment.  My guys had BB guns, knives, and we all got scuba certified as soon as youngest was eligible - at age 10.  We snorkeled before that.  And yes... my kids knew how to make a fire (we taught them) and often had fun with it.

Not once did I see anyone scold them, or us.  Perhaps we just have that kind of demeanor and they did it privately among themselves afterward.

I don't know.  I guess I'd have a line with this, but I don't really know where it is.

As I get older, I find I'm much more likely to say things to strange kids, almost as a sort of reflex.  I suppose the parents might feel like I am being pushy, but TBH I'm not much thinking about the parent at all - if I happen to be standing next to a kid and say "the grass is slippery" or whatever, it's just because I'm talking directly to the person who might slip, rather than going through an intermediary.

I don't generally mind if people correct or talk to or chat with my kids either.  

• Like 1

I find it interesting that some of you have had experiences with others thinking you're letting your kids "play with fire."  We never had that happen.  My youngest especially climbed high in trees - to the treetops - and was often on top of various playground equipment.  My guys had BB guns, knives, and we all got scuba certified as soon as youngest was eligible - at age 10.  We snorkeled before that.  And yes... my kids knew how to make a fire (we taught them) and often had fun with it.

Not once did I see anyone scold them, or us.  Perhaps we just have that kind of demeanor and they did it privately among themselves afterward.

Constantly, CONSTANTLY. It did not help that my DD was small for her age and walked/ran/climbed/jumped super early on top of it. People interfered ALL THE TIME. She was literally climbing rock walls when some of her peers were learning to walk. Every mom at the playground felt the need to interfere. Just because their kids wouldn't be capable of safely doing things at that size/age, it automatically meant she couldn't either. It drove me (and her) batty. 

There is a right way to do it. Some moms turn to me and say, "Do you care that she is XYZ?" or "Is it OK for her to XYZ?"  in a NON JUDGMENTAL tone. To which I thank them genuinely for their concern and let them know that she's insane, but good. There is that one time a year or so where she is legitimately doing something I don't want her to and I appreciate that people are looking out. I do the same for other parents.

She's my gymnast/aerialist/ninjawarrior/stuntwoman, and she's always looking for a new way to challenge herself. No real injuries yet. Because what people don't realize is that even though she's doing way more than their kids can do, she's doing WAY less than she is capable of doing. Because she's actually pretty cautious for a dangerkid.

/rantover

• Like 3

My teens do it all the time, mostly my 15 yr old. Yes, very annoying. And sometimes, well beyond annoying.

My 15 yo is like this and always has been. Drives. Me. Crazy! I flat out tell her no when she does it, that it's rude.

Besides DD15, I've honestly only had 1-2 baby boomer age people try to parent my kids in front of me. And they're always the super awkward types who seem to lack social skills in general. Like the lady at the mall playground who gave my 18 month old a granola bar without asking me! I was livid. I tried to be polite and explain that he had allergies so couldn't eat it and she kept pushing "oh, it doesn't have peanuts" as if that's the only allergy?! I had to explain that no, he was allergic to soy and casein and bananas and I was 100% sure that granola bar had soy in it, because they all do.

Besides DD15, I've honestly only had 1-2 baby boomer age people try to parent my kids in front of me. And they're always the super awkward types who seem to lack social skills in general. Like the lady at the mall playground who gave my 18 month old a granola bar without asking me! I was livid. I tried to be polite and explain that he had allergies so couldn't eat it and she kept pushing "oh, it doesn't have peanuts" as if that's the only allergy?! I had to explain that no, he was allergic to soy and casein and bananas and I was 100% sure that granola bar had soy in it, because they all do.

Not nearly as dangerous, but I was at the mall with my oldest when he was about 18 months old letting him climb on the kiddie rides.  An older lady came over and said, "Oh let me put a quarter in so he can ride!"  I replied, "He doesn't actually like the 'rides,' they scare him, but he loves sitting and pretending to ride."  She said, "Oh you're just saying that!" and she slipped the quarter in.  The ride started.  The look of fear came over him and he started bawling.  I picked him up and she slipped away without saying a word (that I heard anyway).  I hope she learned that perhaps listening and believing could be worth it over thinking parents are just depriving their children of fun.

We had quite a few mystified that youngest didn't like sweets (donuts, pies, most cakes and cookies, etc).  They assumed we were bad parents when we'd get desserts for our older two, but just bread for him.  Their judgments should have changed when they found out "being nice to him" left good food untouched.  Ok, well, touched, but uneaten.  When they brought out bread - any kind except maybe Rye - he was thrilled.

Not nearly as dangerous, but I was at the mall with my oldest when he was about 18 months old letting him climb on the kiddie rides. An older lady came over and said, "Oh let me put a quarter in so he can ride!" I replied, "He doesn't actually like the 'rides,' they scare him, but he loves sitting and pretending to ride." She said, "Oh you're just saying that!" and she slipped the quarter in. The ride started. The look of fear came over him and he started bawling. I picked him up and she slipped away without saying a word (that I heard anyway). I hope she learned that perhaps listening and believing could be worth it over thinking parents are just depriving their children of fun.

We had quite a few mystified that youngest didn't like sweets (donuts, pies, most cakes and cookies, etc). They assumed we were bad parents when we'd get desserts for our older two, but just bread for him. Their judgments should have changed when they found out "being nice to him" left good food untouched. Ok, well, touched, but uneaten. When they brought out bread - any kind except maybe Rye - he was thrilled.

I have kids who don't like cake or chocolate, one doesn't like either.

Yep. People comment all the time that there's no such thing as someone who doesn't like cakes and or chocolate and try to insist my kid eat some. I correct them with as much humor as I can muster.

I have kids who don't like cake or chocolate, one doesn't like either.

Yep. People comment all the time that there's no such thing as someone who doesn't like cakes and or chocolate and try to insist my kid eat some. I correct them with as much humor as I can muster.

My one daughter really doesn't like ice cream that much. She will eat some when we have it but will rarely finish it.