Menu

Travelocity for car rental?

meena

Would you or have you used Travelocity for a car rental? If you have, how did it go?

I usually book directly through the car rental company or Costco. The prices are typically the same (or better) than a third party company, and I feel more assured of the customer service going directly through the rental company or Costco. For an upcoming trip the prices were really high at all my regular places to book, but Travelocity had a seriously great deal so I booked it.

Will I regret it? The Travelocity reservation has free cancellation so I'm mostly worried about getting to our destination and not having a car. We could take public transportation if it really came down to that, but it would be an inconvenience and wouldn't allow us to maximize our time at our destination.

• Like 1

Travelocity is one of the original OTA or Online Travel Agency. Reputable. If you get a much better deal from them than on the website of the rental car company go for it on Travelocity. The following day call the rental car company to confirm they have your reservation OK in their reservation system.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think we did use Travelocity to make one or more car rental reservations, but that was years ago.  Now I use one of 2 OTAs (Online Travel Agencies) here in Colombia.  We do not have car insurance we can use when we rent a car in the USA, as a U.S. Resident has, so we get rates here for International customers, which include almost all of the optional insurance coverages that a U.S. Resident wouldn't need to buy because they can use their own Car Insurance to cover the Rental Car..

We rented via the OTA from Dollar in Orlando last year.  After that reservation was confirmed by the OTA, A day or 2 later, I probably called the Dollar number in the USA (we have a magicJack phone with a U.S. number) to confirm that they had received our reservation from the OTA and that our reservation was in their computerized reservation system OK.

I tend to do that with reservations, but when I was very young, I worked for 2 airlines and then I was a Travel Agent for one year, so I know what can go wrong...

It is very rare, but sometimes the computers of one company do not communicate with the computers of another company and that's when things hit the fan. That can happen, for example, if you book with one airline and they request space from another airline   and the 2nd airline doesn't get the message. Very very rare, but it does happen.                               

We make our reservations via an OTA, or on the web site of the airline  (for example, Avianca) and we can check and double-check that the information is correct, before clicking to buy.

One thing I will not do again is that for our Dollar reservation for the last week of April 2016 in Orlando, I paid probably 5 or 10 dollars extra, so that we would, hopefully, get a Toyota Corolla I think it was. No guarantee, but it cost extra to request that. When it was our turn at the Dollar counter, after we got out of Immigration and Customs, when I mentioned the Toyota, the woman told me just to select a car from the "Intermediate" cars they had.   It was a popular Toyota model.  We ended up selecting a light color Chevy which was fine...  5 or 10 dollars or whatever it was,     and that money was down the drain wasted...

I don't know about travelocity, but I do not recommend expedia. I had a terrible experience with them this past April. The car they tried to give us was completely inappropriate and they and the company would do nothing to fix it. I ended up with a same day (read expensive) car from a different car company for less than they were trying to charge us. I've had lots of good experiences booking directly with rental companies.

• Like 2

I don't know about travelocity, but I do not recommend expedia. I had a terrible experience with them this past April. The car they tried to give us was completely inappropriate and they and the company would do nothing to fix it. I ended up with a same day (read expensive) car from a different car company for less than they were trying to charge us. I've had lots of good experiences booking directly with rental companies.

This is what I'm afraid of happening--a problem that the third company party won't fix and that the car rental company isn't responsible for. I'm especially wary of it for car rentals because they might be out of the category I rented. That has happened several times in the past, and the car rental company just upgraded us to the next class. I think they probably wouldn't offer that courtesy for third party bookings.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this, but I think I read that Travelocity and Expedia merged, or that one company bought the other company?

In any event, if a Travel Agency (Online or brick and mortar store) places a reservation correctly, and then the Provider screws up, it is on the Provider, not the Travel Agency to provide good service to the customer.

I'm glad you got another car from another company and were happy! 

There shouldn't be issues booking via a 3rd party (Travel Agency or Airline) with regard to Car Rentals or other things, but sometimes there is a communications failure. Fortunately, that's rare.

This is what I'm afraid of happening--a problem that the third company party won't fix and that the car rental company isn't responsible for. I'm especially wary of it for car rentals because they might be out of the category I rented. That has happened several times in the past, and the car rental company just upgraded us to the next class. I think they probably wouldn't offer that courtesy for third party bookings.

I disagree with the last sentence. I don't think it would matter to a Car Rental company if the customer booked the rental directly with them, on their web site, or the reservation came in from a Travel Agency or an Airline.  If they have a better car available they will upgrade, if the category the customer rented is not available. .

NOTE: The big risk is to arrive somewhere late at night, and then go to your hotel and find out that they are already full and you being there at the Check In counter with a confirmed reservation means that they are "Oversold" and they will need to "Walk" you.  Send you to another property and hopefully they will pay the transportation and the cost of the first night, for the inconvenience.  If there is a convention and the town is full, one could be sleeping on the street.

The same can happen with a Rental Car.

Always try to fly on the first flight of the day to your destination. If there are issues, it is much easier to get around them and get to your destination. 

Arriving late at night in a city that is not your home city can cause issues if things are not perfect...

Try using Kayak.com,  expedia, or carsrental. com.  for pricing comparison.  Then going directly to the rental company with the best price.  If you are renting for 3 or more days, look at off airport locations too.  It might require you to rent a car at the airport for the first day, or making  other arrangements to get to the off-site location, and getting the cheaper car before returning the first car to the  airport.  Another thing,  the first day of the car rental sets the price for the whole period.  So, again you might have to rent for one day, then return it,  and get new rental for the rest of your trip.  The savings can be substantial.  For example, yesterday 8/22,  the cheapest car that I could find at  Seattle Airport was $140 from Fox.  But, the next day (today 8/23), car rental by the big boys dropped to $40. Would have spent a day in Seattle and then returned the first car for a better rental package for the rest of the trip. This is what I had planned for our trip to Olympia Park yesterday.  Unfortunately, had to cancel the  trip--after arriving-- at the airport because of minor emergencies (nothing serious, but cumulatively a game changer). 

• Like 1

Try using Kayak.com,  expedia, or carsrental. com.  for pricing comparison.  Then going directly to the rental company with the best price.  If you are renting for 3 or more days, look at off airport locations too.  It might require you to rent a car at the airport for the first day, or making  other arrangements to get to the off-site location, and getting the cheaper car before returning the first car to the  airport.  Another thing,  the first day of the car rental sets the price for the whole period.  So, again you might have to rent for one day, then return it,  and get new rental for the rest of your trip.  The savings can be substantial.  For example, yesterday 8/22,  the cheapest car that I could find at  Seattle Airport was $140 from Fox.  But, the next day (today 8/23), car rental by the big boys dropped to $40. Would have spent a day in Seattle and then returned the first car for a better rental package for the rest of the trip. This is what I had planned for our trip to Olympia Park yesterday.  Unfortunately, had to cancel the  trip--after arriving-- at the airport because of minor emergencies (nothing serious, but cumulatively a game changer). 

This is extremely helpful! I did find off-airport prices to be be better but was worried about making it back to the airport in time for our flight. I think I'll play around with the dates some more to see if I can find a way to make it work. (PS, sorry you had to cancel your trip but glad it's nothing serious)

Editing to add: I just looked and if I split up the rental (one day/return/new rental for several days), that saves a ton of money. That will make it even cheaper than my Travelocity booking. THANK YOU! We travel a lot, so I will get a lot of mileage (couldn't resist that bad pun :leaving: )  out of this tip in the future.

Edited by meena
  • Like 1

Going through Costco saves a chunk of $$ plus they back it up. Any problem at all with getting your car and Costco comes to your immediate rescue. In fact, the deal they have w/ the car companies is if the car you reserved isn't available as promised -- the car company has to give you an immediate upgrade.

I've spoken w/ the rental car person for Costco and they are really into making this program work for their members.

Alley