Menu

Two kids applying to same college?

Jen500

I have twins who are seniors this year. Is it a bad idea for them to apply to the same colleges, if they are needing financial and merit aid?

They both have very similar academic records and intended major (some type of engineering)

I think for their safeties it should be fine, I'm just not sure about some of the other colleges. 

My twins applied to several of the same colleges, and ended up attending and graduating from the same university with similar degrees.  No sibling discount at this university, but I have seen them at others.  It was very convenient for us to have them at the same school and it was nice for them, too.  

ETA:  They both received merit aid, but that was just based on their individual academic performances and nothing to do with them being siblings.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

I know someone with triplets who sent them all to the same college. The triplets all attended different high schools, so they are used to operating completely independently. It really was a financial decision, and the school that accepted all 3 gave them the best offer. Also, just more convenient to have them in one city (several states away), sharing one car, etc.

• Like 1

I have no idea as to the answer to your question, but I went to high school with a pair of identical twin girls who were academic superstars. They were very close but didn't want to influence each other on decisions. They made choices as to where to apply separately. I'm pretty sure they knew each other's lists, but they did not talk to each other at all about where they were going to choose after their acceptances were in. They both came to the conclusion independently to attend Yale! I always thought that was a neat story. And, I always thought they both did it to rebel against their Harvard-educated father.