Menu

HOD Bigger: Finding New Book Choices?

faiths13

We are starting on HOD Bigger because I just need a curriculum that tells me what to do step by step. Unfortunately I don't really like the choice for the main history spine or science spine. The history book is "First Book of American History" by Edward Eggleston, and the science is A Small Square. I was wondering if anyone could help me possibly find a history book that had similar topics that wasn't so dry? I love history and I found this book very uninteresting. I just don't know if there is going to be another book that has similar topics.

We supplemented with library books and YouTube videos. We like One Small Square and read through several. We did CM-style nature study with it. I added Mara Pratt's History Stories from Librivox. But, if you didn't like Eggleston, you might not like these either.

I really think that if you don't like the spines you should probably look for something else. Maybe just a booklist for this time period?

• Like 2

I don't know if it lines up well, but maybe A Child's First Book of American History by Earl Schenck Miers would be worth a try?  http://bfbooks.com/A-Childs-First-Book-of-American-History-PB?sc=17&category=11

IIRC, Bigger focuses its lessons on the character traits of people who are the main topic of the chapter in the Eggleston book - so maybe you could find a short biography to go with each week or every other week?  (I'm guessing this would take more time than reading the Eggleston chapter, so it might work if your student is a book-devourer, or if you have time to read aloud a lot, or if you cut out some other block from the guide.  Just pondering....)