Menu

Will you cry in awe?

Night Elf

I almost cried several times but it was because today is my sister's first birthday after her passing this January.  She would have loved this and we would have watched it together.  I took my boys down to NC to be with my parents for this day and the eclipse.  We went to the local science museum (95%).  I decided there to be like my sister and share our glasses with all the people who didn't have glasses (the museum ran out - people made pinhole viewers).  They thanked me (and my parents and kids) and showered blessings on us.  That made me cry a little.

• Like 7

We traveled to the path of totality and I had no idea how awe inspiring it would be. I am not someone who cries and the tears unexpectedly came today. Nothing compares to the full eclipse. I can see how some who did not view totality weren't that impressed. I am definitely traveling for 2024 to be in the path again!

• Like 2

I didn't cry, but totality and seeing the flaming corona of the sun around the dark circle of the moon evoked a feeling of awe in me that was completely unexpected.

It was one the most emotionally powerful experiences I have ever had.

The partial phase was just interesting; I'm so glad we traveled to see totality because it is something I will remember

My entire life.

• Like 3

I might have cried if I saw the totality effect.  Anything that reminds me of how small I am and how random my being alive is and how vast the universe is and what little knowledge we actually have of everything, makes me feel in awe of it all.

So yeah, I might have cried.  :)

• Like 4

Yep. Shamelessly. It was an intensely moving experience. Once it reached totality, I took off my glasses and was overcome with emotion at the sheer beauty and enormity that I was witnessing. The cheer that rose up among the people watching certainly added to the emotion of the experience. It was really cool to be apart of a collective experience of beauty. 

I said it another thread, but no picture or video could prepare me for the feelings of actually seeing and experiencing the eclipse. 

#eclipse2024!  :001_smile:

• Like 6

I've been a crier for years now. Thanks, menopause. My baby is leaving for college this week. Dh and I will be empty nesters. I cry at the drop of a hat these days. I melted down over the weekend, sobbing several times in one day, because, are you ready? We have plenty of milk. DH asked what he could pick up on the way home. After making yogurt and kefir all summer for the kids (and for DH and me), the kids are leaving. We have plenty. 

All that said, ds and I lucked out and borrowed some glasses during the partial (where we live) eclipse. I did not and would not cry over that. I wonder if that woman you saw was battling hormones. Maybe she is pregnant. I had to stop watching the news when I was expecting my first b/c I was crying at work while on the phone. 

I will consider traveling for totality in 2024. :)

• Like 2

Yep. Shamelessly. It was an intensely moving experience. Once it reached totality, I took off my glasses and was overcome with emotion at the sheer beauty and enormity that I was witnessing. The cheer that rose up among the people watching certainly added to the emotion of the experience. It was really cool to be apart of a collective experience of beauty. 

I said it another thread, but no picture or video could prepare me for the feelings of actually seeing and experiencing the eclipse. 

#eclipse2024!  :001_smile:

I've been a crier for years now. Thanks, menopause. My baby is leaving for college this week. Dh and I will be empty nesters. I cry at the drop of a hat these days. I melted down over the weekend, sobbing several times in one day, because, are you ready? We have plenty of milk. DH asked what he could pick up on the way home. After making yogurt and kefir all summer for the kids (and for DH and me), the kids are leaving. We have plenty. 

All that said, ds and I lucked out and borrowed some glasses during the partial (where we live) eclipse. I did not and would not cry over that. I wonder if that woman you saw was battling hormones. Maybe she is pregnant. I had to stop watching the news when I was expecting my first b/c I was crying at work while on the phone. 

I will consider traveling for totality in 2024. :)

OK, maybe I would have and will if I see totality. 

I cried after because it kind of depressed me. I am not sure why. My step dad died in the past year, and I was wishing he was there to see it with me I guess. My in laws came so that might have triggered not having my dad, since my husband got to see it with his. Or maybe it's all just post hype let down I don't know.

I just feel depressed and exhausted now. It was very cool in the moment though and the kids thought it was amazing. We had great weather and we are in the path of totality.

:grouphug: The whole first year after losing my parents was like that. Everything just made me feel sad and empty. Just knowing that you will never share it, whatever it is. 

Technically I cried for 5 min or so during the partial leading up to totality... because I thoughtlessly rubbed my eyes at one point, and apparently there was too much sunscreen left on my hands (I'd sprayed it on my hands so I could rub it on my kids' ears and nose etc half an hour earlier or so, so there was quite a bit on them). That really burned. I washed my hands, and then washed my eyes, and then some more, which didn't really help at all... in the end just dabbed at them occasionally with a clean t-shirt for a few minutes until I'd cried out all the sunscreen. Luckily, that was still quite a while before totality, so it was not a big deal (other than that it hurt). 

Totality was neat. I did not cry at it though, nor did I notice anybody else crying at it (but, I didn't spend much time looking at other people during totality).

I didn't cry, but totality and seeing the flaming corona of the sun around the dark circle of the moon evoked a feeling of awe in me that was completely unexpected.

It was one the most emotionally powerful experiences I have ever had.

The partial phase was just interesting; I'm so glad we traveled to see totality because it is something I will remember

My entire life.

My family was talking about this at the dinner table last night. We were completely taken off -guard. It's math. It's science. It's a straightforward phenomenon easily demonstrated with a desk lamp, an orange, and a basketball.

And...kapow. It touched each of us deeply in a completely unexpected way. We ended up talking about mystery and the intersection of spirituality and science. Which, if you knew my literal computer-y guys, is almost as surprising as if the dog piped up and gave his .02 :D

• Like 2

Technically I cried for 5 min or so during the partial leading up to totality... because I thoughtlessly rubbed my eyes at one point, and apparently there was too much sunscreen left on my hands (I'd sprayed it on my hands so I could rub it on my kids' ears and nose etc half an hour earlier or so, so there was quite a bit on them). That really burned. I washed my hands, and then washed my eyes, and then some more, which didn't really help at all... in the end just dabbed at them occasionally with a clean t-shirt for a few minutes until I'd cried out all the sunscreen. Luckily, that was still quite a while before totality, so it was not a big deal (other than that it hurt). 

Totality was neat. I did not cry at it though, nor did I notice anybody else crying at it (but, I didn't spend much time looking at other people during totality).

It was so hot and humid here I had sweat running in my eyes.  Do tears from sweat stinging eyeballs count?