Menu

Will you cry in awe?

Night Elf

I'm watching tv and a newscaster in a complete totality area started breaking up as the sun started peeping back out. You could tell she was actually crying. Now, I'm an extremely sensitive person. I can cry at commercials. But the eclipse? I understand it's a big deal and I guess people will react differently. I wish I was impressed with it. Personally, I'd rather be watching a game show but DH has the tv in the living room on the Weather Channel. I really hope this isn't an all day thing. I think I'll go back to the bedroom and watch tv back there.

• Like 1

My husband is pretty excited.  I don't know if he will cry, but it's possible.  Some people are just very moved by things like this. The eclipse doesn't do it for me, but I'm probably going to be too (irrationally) worried that my kids and my daughter's friend will look at the sun and harm their eyes.  I can't help it.   But I have cried seeing other beautiful natural phenomena.  I used to cry every time I went to the Cliff House area of San Francisco because something about that place was so beautiful and awesome to me.   

I used to cry every time I went to the Cliff House area of San Francisco because something about that place was so beautiful and awesome to me.   

OT, but my friend in SF threw her mother's ashes in the ocean there.  We visit whenever I go to SF. 

• Like 1

If I'm alive at the age of 90, the path of the 2045 solar eclipse goes right over where I currently live. 100% Will I care at that age? FIL is 92 and he cares about our partial eclipse so I hope that if I'm still around then, I'm as sharp as he is.

I was just looking up the next one for North America (2024, because DS wants a committment out of me for nex time, lol) and it turns out it is due on my birthday! So, yeah, maybe a birthday road trip in 2024, for totality and DS.

• Like 5

Uh. No. No I won't. It was kind of cool and that's about the extent of how moved I am.

I should still be around for the 2045 one, though nearing retirement age. So maybe it will be cooler then?

Edited by Arctic Mama

No tears, but it was wicked cool.  Like, literally cool -- we went from humid 90s, disgusting temps with the sun practically hurting our skin, to cool pleasant temps, to darkness (we live in the totality zone).  

I now understand why people chase these all over the place.  SO MUCH FUN!  I wanna do it again!

Edited to add:  And, of course, the neighbors were setting off fireworks.  

Edited by GailV
  • Like 7

Thanks!

Update: we were in the 98% zone here. I did not cry, but it was interesting.

People had said that there's a huge difference between 100% and even a bit of a sliver of sun left.  You know what?  I think they're right.

I wonder if the newspeople crying are just exhausted from all of the hullabaloo.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 7

No tears, but it was wicked cool.  Like, literally cool -- we went from humid 90s, disgusting temps with the sun practically hurting our skin, to cool pleasant temps, to darkness (we live in the totality zone).  

I now understand why people chase these all over the place.  SO MUCH FUN!  I wanna do it again!

Edited to add:  And, of course, the neighbors were setting off fireworks.  

I've had kids say that after an earthquake. . . .

and the chem prof who'd do demos at the elementary school - had things go badly one time.  very loud explosion.  when he could finally hear again - the kids were screaming - - - - do it again!

• Like 1

People had said that there's a huge difference between 100% and even a bit of a sliver of sun left. You know what? I think they're right.

I wonder if the newspeople crying are just exhausted from all of the hullabaloo.

I think that is probably true. We just watched Clemson go in totality on TV and honestly, that was pretty awesome looking.

But I'm a huge sap anyway. I cry about everything. I cried on our cruise to Alaska over the Tracy Arm Fjord.

• Like 1

No tears, but it was wicked cool. Like, literally cool -- we went from humid 90s, disgusting temps with the sun practically hurting our skin, to cool pleasant temps, to darkness (we live in the totality zone).

I now understand why people chase these all over the place. SO MUCH FUN! I wanna do it again!

Edited to add: And, of course, the neighbors were setting off fireworks.

This morning, I found several packs of firecrackers leftover from the 4th and joked to DH that we should set those off during totality. Then, people actually did set them off (we didn't)! A big uproar of cheering on my street too.

We were playing catch in the yard, until we couldn't see well anymore. Really, really cool. Literally... the humidity is obnoxious today after that cool snap.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 2

I had goosebumps.  It was amazing!!  Between the change in temp and the wind and then the view of the moon & the sun, it was something I've never seen before and something I'll probably never see again.  I'm so glad we watched the entire thing.  We were 100% totality and it was perfect weather here for it.  Some clouds, but never blocked the view.  

Edited by mom2samlibby
  • Like 1

I did cry actually. I didn't expect to, but I did. 

That said, seeing it live, with the glasses was NOTHING like watching on TV. 

But, I've wanted to see an eclipse my whole life. When I saw that first part of it I totally choked up. 

Edited to add: I was in 86%. I came inside and made travel plans for 2024 to see totality. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

Watching it on tv isn't going to make anyone cry, so that isn't a valid comparison. Of course you're not going to cry watching it on tv!

Seeing it on tv vs seeing it in person is like watching a video of a roller coaster vs being on the roller coaster.

I see no shame and feel no ridicule for anyone getting choked up during the eclipse.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

I cried after because it kind of depressed me. I am not sure why. My step dad died in the past year, and I was wishing he was there to see it with me I guess. My in laws came so that might have triggered not having my dad, since my husband got to see it with his. Or maybe it's all just post hype let down I don't know.

I just feel depressed and exhausted now. It was very cool in the moment though and the kids thought it was amazing. We had great weather and we are in the path of totality.

• Like 2

Well, I was expecting it to be pretty neat, because we were in the 92% path. Had the glasses and everything. But at my house all afternoon? 100% cloud cover. I saw nothing more than a cloudy day. Bummer.

Dd is 90 minutes away at college and they had a few clouds, but still saw it. She sent some photos and it looked cool.

I wouldn't have cried regardless.

No tears here, but I understand the emotion. We had 100% and it was amazing. I didn't really understand the hype beforehand, but I'm so grateful for the experience now. I get why people traveled for it. (Though I'll never understand the people who stood in a 3-hour line for a special eclipse-themed donut at Krispy Kreme. Those people are crazy.)

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 4

We were in 95% and it barely even changed. I was expecting a bit of darkness or something..but it just seemed like the sun hid behind a cloud for a minute. One of my kids actually said "you ruined everything" and ran to his room because we kind of just missed it. Very underwhelming. Maybe we'll try for totality in 2024.

I kept hearing about how amazing totality was, and I expected it to be cool, but it was unbelievable. I don't know why, but it was an overwhelmingly moving experience and I did tear up which I *never* would have expected. At all. Even my stoic dh and dd were stunned by how magnificent totality was (although not to the point of choking up--they still think that's silly).

• Like 2

Tears came to my eyes when we visited the Grand Canyon a fews year back. I'd been there before, as a child, so to experience it as

an adult was very different. The immensity and the beauty of it just made be still for awhile and appreciate the true awe-some-ness of it.

So had I been in a place of totality today, yeah, I probably would have teared up.

• Like 1

http://wgntv.com/2017/08/21/wgns-tom-skilling-watching-the-eclipse-is-the-sweetest-thing-youll-ever-see/

Tom Skilling, the Chicago meteorologist who absolutely loves his job, cried. I like watching him report the really interesting weather events. He gets so excited and explains the science so well. I might have been more affected if we had been in totality and it wasn't cloudy. We might plan a road trip for 2024.

• Like 2