Menu

How do you search for colleges, plus suggestions welcome!

Daria

When my goddaughter was looking for schools, I wanted to help her mom, so I spent a lot of time on College Confidential using their search tool, which I thought was great, but it's been down for a long time. I just tried the new one, and it didn't work for me.  I put in my parameters, and it suggested 2 schools, both female single sex schools, and I have a boy.  

Any other suggestions for tools for searching that let you specify things like selectivity, and AP scores?

Alternatively, I'd love suggestions for schools that might fit the following requirements:

Direct Entry Nursing Program, but also other majors in case he changes his mind.

Not particularly selective, will take a kid with Alg. 2 as his highest math, and an ACT in the 20 - 24 range.

Small, less than 5,000.  Much less than 5,000 would be even better.

Strong LD/ADHD support.

In, near, or has easy access to a city.

So far, on his list, he has the following schools.

Bowie State (MD)

Curry (MA)

Hood (MD)

LaSalle (PA)

Marymount University (VA)

We'd love other suggestions for schools to look at!

Queen's University in Charlotte fits most of your criteria.  Last time I looked, a 25 ACT qualifies you for direct entry into the nursing program.  Think he can swing that?  It has about 2500 students and is in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown Charlotte; they really stress their connections to Charlotte.  I don't know about LD/ADHD support, but they seem very nurturing.  Also, if you look on CC under the nursing majors board, a guy there has compiled a list of direct-entry nursing programs.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the recommendations.  I suspect that both of those schools would be reaches for him, although they're certainly worth exploring.  

Please keep the suggestions coming!  Also if anyone has any experience with any of the schools on my list, please let me know!

I have a friend whose daughter went to Schreiner University (Kerrville, TX), who was extremely pleased with their LD/AHD support.  I don't know if their nursing program is direct admit or not, but it is a small school--not in a city by about 1 hour from San Antonio.

• Like 1