Menu

Help me not be angry with Susan Barton

I get that it is her company, but she makes it so expensive and hard for parents on a budget to do her program sometimes.  I bought my levels through another person selling them after doing all 10 levels with her child.  The lady I bought from had bought from Barton.  Susan had the records.  I have bought other things through Barton including all the secondary books.  I can't, however, buy extra tiles through her company unless I buy directly through her company for the level I want tiles for.   I get I can't buy 10 sets each, but one extra set each?  I just spent $300 buying her product.  Nope.  Ugh.  I just had to complain to someone that would understand.  And no one else in my circle knows who Susan Barton is or what Barton reading is.  

• Like 2

I actually completely agree. Especially with the tiles, why be so strict? I've had trained, certified Orton Gillingham tutors who use similar programs sooooo jealous of my Barton tile board. It really is handy and very well made. Why not let others buy the tiles? Nothing about those could allow someone to plagiarize her curriculum. They're just useful manipulatives. If the true goal is kids learning to read well in the best way possible, I personally would be a lot more generous with my products.

Anyway, on a practical note keep checking ebay, people post just the tiles periodically. Or if it's one of the early levels and you're in a pinch try the All About Reading tiles, they are cheaper quality but cover most of the same phonemes as Barton.

• Like 2

Yes, I spoke with her today.  No go.   :sneaky2:

Did she give a reason?  That's just going to make people unhappy and not help kids that need it.  I really love the Barton program and Susan has been nothing but nice and supportive when I have had to contact her (and even overnighted a new set of discs at her expense when the first set didn't play right) so I don't understand about the tiles at all.  If you purchased an authorized used copy, not an illegal one, why not allow you to buy an extra set of tiles?

I get your frustration, but you need to understand that when you purchase something from a vendor like Barton, you are not so much paying for the materials to make her products--you are paying for her intellectual property.  You bypassed paying her for her intellectual property by buying the product used.  You have gotten your discount.  If you want to get a discount from Barton, buy the original product directly through her.

• Like 5

And just to point out, you could have held out for a used set that included the extra tiles. That seller may have been less than forthright. Maybe she didn't buy from Barton and wasn't able to get you more tiles.

The other thing people don't consider in the cost of Barton is the support she gives. I've written her multiple times, asking questions about my ds, and she always writes me back thorough, detailed responses.

• Like 4

Can you make a set? I've made a couple of sets of phonogram tiles to match whatever program a student is using at school so I can help with homework. You can find printables that match the AAR/AAS tiles free online, as well as ones for a couple of other programs.

• Like 1

You can still buy the app, you just have to send in a couple of pictures of each level you want. I have purchased it for 2 levels and didn't buy either from Barton. There's also another tile app that I can't remember the name of that you can use...IIRC it's much cheaper than Barton but of course you have to type the words in (and idk if it goes along with the Barton tile colors).

If you want the extra sets for resale, levels do seem to sell pretty well on eBay even without tiles.

• Like 3

Did she give a reason?  That's just going to make people unhappy and not help kids that need it.  I really love the Barton program and Susan has been nothing but nice and supportive when I have had to contact her (and even overnighted a new set of discs at her expense when the first set didn't play right) so I don't understand about the tiles at all.  If you purchased an authorized used copy, not an illegal one, why not allow you to buy an extra set of tiles?

She said that without the tiles it is harder for people to copy her system and sell them as a Barton system.  I get it.  I do, but I think she would have more success if she were a little more lenient with the tiles. Charge more if you didn't buy the entire system.  I would pay a lot more for those tiles.  I bought my next level directly from her, so I am obviously not trying to skirt her system.  And she said because I was buying directly from her I could buy up to 10 sets of tiles for the level I bought.   :huh: That seemed like a lot!  Especially because I only wanted one set of the other tiles.  

And just to point out, you could have held out for a used set that included the extra tiles. That seller may have been less than forthright. Maybe she didn't buy from Barton and wasn't able to get you more tiles.

The other thing people don't consider in the cost of Barton is the support she gives. I've written her multiple times, asking questions about my ds, and she always writes me back thorough, detailed responses.

Actually she created an app or game or something for Susan Barton, so they had all of her information in the computer.  She verified it.  So, I guess I can get a few extra sets from her.  I am considering if I want to go through that trouble.  

I get your frustration, but you need to understand that when you purchase something from a vendor like Barton, you are not so much paying for the materials to make her products--you are paying for her intellectual property.  You bypassed paying her for her intellectual property by buying the product used.  You have gotten your discount.  If you want to get a discount from Barton, buy the original product directly through her.

You sound like my husband.   :lol: This was his exact response.  I am still frustrated, but I get that she put all the work into it.  Haha.  

Yeah, I think it is nuts. Ipad Sound Literacy app is $10 and is supposed to be good... I think you can change tile colours. The home made options I've heard of is buying the coloured math tiles (plastic) in the various colours and write the letters on them.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

IF you send her a picture of you with the instructor manual, you can buy the tile app. I LOVE the app and do not use tiles after level 2. She is very nice about working with you as long as you can prove you have the actual materials. I think this is more about not buying bootlegged instructor manuals. 

I know it is expensive, but the resell value is high AND you get Susan's support. I can honestly say, she is not in this for the money. She takes calls personally and has spent so much time on the phone with me about students and issues they may have. Her advice has always been exceptional and she truly cares about those who struggle with dyslexia. 

The app sets up words for you. It is worth EVERY penny. 

• Like 1

IF you send her a picture of you with the instructor manual, you can buy the tile app. I LOVE the app and do not use tiles after level 2. She is very nice about working with you as long as you can prove you have the actual materials. I think this is more about not buying bootlegged instructor manuals. 

I know it is expensive, but the resell value is high AND you get Susan's support. I can honestly say, she is not in this for the money. She takes calls personally and has spent so much time on the phone with me about students and issues they may have. Her advice has always been exceptional and she truly cares about those who struggle with dyslexia. 

The app sets up words for you. It is worth EVERY penny. 

I agree the app has been very helpful here.  It isn't just a bunch of letters.  It is the lesson needs already laid out, words popping up in the order needed, prefixes/suffixes/units and whatever else all easily organized and ready to go, the student can create multiple words and leave them all up for comparison without worrying about a lack of tiles, etc.  I love the app.  Way more versatile than just using tiles and so much faster for set up and clean up.  Plus you can easily navigate through lessons to do quick review from a previous one or do additional support review for the current one.  All already set up.  Just pops up on the screen.  And with multiple students it makes shifting between levels/lessons a breeze.  

I didn't realize that you could send in a picture of you with the instructor manual to get the tile app if you bought an official copy used.

• Like 1