Menu

Some good news for my daughter!

Liza Q

I've posted before about this daughter having physical/emotional issues and how I wasn't sure what would happen with her. She chose not to finish her homeschool work (she was supposed to "finish" in June 2016) and instead took the TASC (an HSE like the GED) in December of 2016. She applied to the CC for this fall and has been dragging her heels about taking the placement tests. She has had a lot of difficulties with math although she reads very well and writes well.

Well. She finally took the placement tests yesterday (next week is the last week they are being offered). She did extremely well on the reading test. The writing test result take a few days - we should know early next week. Hopefully, she did well on that also and can go right into Freshman English.

But the math is what I was very concerned about. The school offers 4 levels of remedial math, depending on the placement test. She placed into the 4th class - Intermediate Algebra and Trig. This is the kid I thought would never manage to pass Algebra 1! If she passes this class she can go into whatever "regular" math her major requires.

So. I am thrilled that she actually took the test and intends to actually register for classes and she is pumped that she didn't have to start back with Basic Math!

• Like 33

Well!

She registered for 2 classes, English 101 and Statistics. The counselor encouraged her to take that instead of the remedial math because she is intending to apply to FIT for next year and it should transfer. And if she gets into FIT as a Fashion Design Major, she may not need that remedial math, as they have different standards. I'm concerned about it as I'm concerned that the longer she goes without Algebra, the more she will forget. But she was proactive and it fits into her schedule.

She is already working on her application to FIT and is brushing up her portfolio.

She found (with the help of a friend who is already at FIT) a Fashion Internship at a legit company midtown, bought some "new" clothes at the thrift shop where she volunteers, and started on Tuesday.

She has her first class tonight.

As my kids say, adulting FTW!

• Like 6

She registered for 2 classes, English 101 and Statistics. The counselor encouraged her to take that instead of the remedial math because she is intending to apply to FIT for next year and it should transfer. And if she gets into FIT as a Fashion Design Major, she may not need that remedial math, as they have different standards. I'm concerned about it as I'm concerned that the longer she goes without Algebra, the more she will forget. But she was proactive and it fits into her schedule.

That sounds great, unless the FIT program requires college algebra. Also, most college stats classes require Algebra 2 or college algebra as a prerequisite. I'm going to assume the counselor wouldn't have put her in it if that were the case, but you might double check. You don't want her to be in a class that will be too hard for her. 

Ds's college accepted Stats as meeting the sole math requirement for gen ed. If the FIT program does that and she can get through stats, math may be behind her and her nemesis no more!

• Like 1

That sounds great, unless the FIT program requires college algebra. Also, most college stats classes require Algebra 2 or college algebra as a prerequisite. I'm going to assume the counselor wouldn't have put her in it if that were the case, but you might double check. You don't want her to be in a class that will be too hard for her. 

Ds's college accepted Stats as meeting the sole math requirement for gen ed. If the FIT program does that and she can get through stats, math may be behind her and her nemesis no more!

No, the counselor said that she didn't need further algebra as a pre-req. I surely hope that she is right! And we're hoping that the she will be fine in the math. One of my older daughters has similar math issues. In college she got a D in Pre-Calc and we were all thrilled that she passed! She then got an A in Statistics and found it much much easier than Algebra. And she thinks that my 18yo will be able to pass Stats. Again - I surely hope that she is right! The CC has a math lab open every day so she will be able to go for as much tutoring as she likes.

And yes - Stats may meet her math req for gen ed at FIT. If she were going to major in Marketing or Business she would probably need more math.

And. Whatever happens, I am just so so glad that she has made a few positive decisions and is focused on her future.

• Like 1