Menu

I'm over the eclipse

Moxie

It is starting to get very Mommy-warish.

"I would never let my Precious stare at the sun! They are staying home from school and sitting in the basement all day!"

"How can you let your child miss a once in a lifetime event?"

"I called our optometrist, who is a genius and does all the President's eye work, and he says it is fine."

"Well, six kids from my high school went blind after a lunar eclipse so we're not rising it!"

This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 28

We'll be viewing it at a library. I was laughing with the librarians over this nonsense. The one who ordered the glasses assured me that they safe, listed off the qualifications, etc, and will be going over the safety stuff before we view. I had already talked to my kids about safe viewing and eye damage before reading the online freakouts. It's still scary. But reason will have to prevail. I'm not going to hand out cheap viewers to my kids and send them outside unsupervised for the day. We will be right there with them. 

I did decide to leave Luna inside. She won't appreciate it, and her eyes are already damaged. I hadn't really thought about that. 

When I started seeing news stories warning people to put eclipse glasses on their pets I threw in the towel. I just want the event over. 

I was in 3rd grade during the 1970 eclipse and attending Catholic school. I clearly recall the nuns handing each of us a piece of glass and lighting candles so we could smoke the glass. Then they took us outside to watch the eclipse.  I remember all that but don't recall being especially wowed by the actual eclipse. 

Were there mommy wars in 1970? Probably so but I don't think my mom had the inclination to care enough to get involved in them. 

• Like 5

I think both sides are very reasonable.

I've even heard some eye doctors are concerned about the eclipse -- that people will think they are taking proper precautions, but not actually be and there will be a rash of eye problems afterward.  The eclipse we saw as a kid we used a pinhole camera (Made in a shoebox). So we were not looking directly at the sun. We were looking at the image of the sun projected into the shoebox -- so pretty much looking away from the sun.  With eclipse glasses -- people are going to be looking directly -at- the sun, just with special eyeglasses on.  This makes me nervous as well. There just seems to be quite a bit that could go wrong.

• Like 4

I'm so tired of reading about eclipse glasses, but I am excited about the eclipse and our eclipse field trip.

When I was a kid, my private school had a spend the night for us all to view Haley's Comet. I remember the excitement surrounding it all.

I guess I want my kids to experience that excitement, too.

So.Am.I. 

I had the exact same thought yesterday.

We don't have glasses. They are sold out the minute they get them in anywhere. I have to work and still trying to figure out where my kids are going so they don't stand outside to see it and end up blind.

One of my kids may be going with scouts, but I am predicting they will be stuck in a traffic jam on the way home and will miss middle school supply drop off night, and the chance to meet teachers, try out his locker, etc. We are very near the path of totality. 

Ugh!!!!

I did laugh when I saw the FB post going around about leaving your pets inside.  What about the wild animals?  Are great numbers of wild animals going to go blind?  It's just hilarious.  The universe has been doing this for how long?

In 1984 our teachers took us outside to see the eclipse.  They of course told us not to look at the sun.  We of course did take peeks at the sun.  Whatever.  I'm at a 99% location.  I plan to be outside for several hours.  I'm kind of excited and it's going to be fun!

• Like 10

When I started seeing news stories warning people to put eclipse glasses on their pets I threw in the towel. I just want the event over.

I was in 3rd grade during the 1970 eclipse and attending Catholic school. I clearly recall the nuns handing each of us a piece of glass and lighting candles so we could smoke the glass. Then they took us outside to watch the eclipse. I remember all that but don't recall being especially wowed by the actual eclipse.

Were there mommy wars in 1970? Probably so but I don't think my mom had the inclination to care enough to get involved in them.

Oh wow, your description of candle-smoked glass is hilarious. I guess if kids survived that event, then mine will be just fine with authentic eclipse glasses attached to paper plate shields.

• Like 2

I saw that thing about pets. People are acting like just glancing at it will make you go blind or something. I seriously doubt any animals are going to be all that interested, that they stand around staring at it like people will. This was definitely foolish, but I remember as kids we used to have contests to see who could stare at the sun the longest without blinking. None of us are blind today, or have any vision problems other than the normal near or far-sightedness. 

• Like 6

We live in one of the places with the longest totality.  I am SO over it.  We've been warned to expect nearly a half a million people in town, there were ZERO rental cars in our state for DH to rent for a business trip, we MUST get all our gas and groceries before the end of the day today or we may run out...blah, blah, blah.  It's almost as bad as when they predict a half inch of snow down here.  :laugh:

I bought eclipse glasses about a month ago (and they are legit), but the mad scramble for last minute glasses may be more fascinating to watch than the actual eclipse.  Several businesses (and one very prestigious university) handed out fake glasses by mistake.  The only thing on ocial media anyone is talking about is eclipse glasses.   People are lining up for HOURS at businesses who have them for sale.  They are the new Cabbage Patch kids for the eyes.

I DO think the actual eclipse will be kind of cool to see.  But all the ruckus around it here is making me a little crazy.  

• Like 5

I haven't encountered what the OP has described - but I'm not involved in any mommy groups since my kids are mostly grown.

I've not really been all that interested in the eclipse and I was rather surprised at the amount of people that are traveling to see it.   And then I kept seeing all the scare - warnings "don't get the wrong glasses"  over and over and over and over again and again.  Sheesh.. It's like everyone has become the eclipse police.  Now I'm really over it.  

I feel for all the people living in the path... what a nightmare - for 2 mins.  Good grief. People are so silly.   And, I feel for the scientist who have actual work to do concerning this eclipse and they have to deal with all the crazies & the crowds.  

I wonder if it's like this in other non-first-world countries when they have a full eclipse.  

• Like 2

I'm so tired of reading about eclipse glasses, but I am excited about the eclipse and our eclipse field trip.

When I was a kid, my private school had a spend the night for us all to view Haley's Comet. I remember the excitement surrounding it all.

I guess I want my kids to experience that excitement, too.

I'm still bitter about this. My uncle was supposed to pick us up and take us to view it. He was passed out and slept through getting us. :/

I was in 3rd grade during the 1970 eclipse and attending Catholic school. I clearly recall the nuns handing each of us a piece of glass and lighting candles so we could smoke the glass. Then they took us outside to watch the eclipse.  I remember all that but don't recall being especially wowed by the actual eclipse. 

I also remember one when I was in grade school in the 70s. and not being terribly impressed.  I guess it was nice because we got to go out during the middle of school and watch it, but otherwise...it was one of those things that adults told us we needed to be impressed by and that's it.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 7

With all the warnings, I'm starting to get paranoid about even trying to view it with the glasses I have. I bought some on Amazon and then saw warnings about knock-offs, so I ordered more from American Paper Optics that have the certification on them. Amazon refunded my money for the first order. American Paper Optics is on some lists of approved providers. I just don't want to have the one pair (or especially my son's pair) that didn't make it through inspection somehow or something.  

Have I succumbed to the mommy wars? 

• Like 3

We did a pinhole box for the partial eclipse in...oh the early 90s? Late 80%...

We lived in Brussels for the 1999 eclipse over Europe. Brussels was a partial so we got up early on eclipse day to drive into France and watch. 

We did not anticipate the traffic and got there JUST in time for totality. We had a good time getting a glimpse of the dark and the sun ring. No glasses that I remember--just quick glimpses up and enjoying the overall darkness. 

One of the best things about that one--other than FRANCE!- was that we didn't yet understand the languages and didn't see any of the hype I'm seeing here these days. Maybe there wasn't any...

We are at 75% here and I'll be content to go out, get a few looks, maybe take a photo or two, and be done. I'll hope to live long enough to see the next one in 2024!

We're at 90% and there doesn't seem to be much excitement about it. I haven't heard anyone here even mention it, and Walmart still had loads of eclipse glasses for sale when I was there a few days ago. As far as I can tell, it's going to be business as usual here on Monday.

I'm not on social media, though, so maybe there's mommy wars stuff going on there and I'm just out of the loop. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen/heard much about it at all except here at WTM. It was being discussed a little at the nail salon Wednesday when I got a pedicure. Mostly we were all talking about how our 86% coverage should arrive just about the time of our daily afternoon thunderstorms and it probably won't look much different than a dark, stormy summer day. 

Schools will keep kids indoors and are either rescheduling or moving all planned outdoor activities indoors. The theory is there's always that one kid who looks when you say don't look. It's a CYA move by the school system. They're also automatically excusing all absences that day so parents can keep the kids home if they choose to.

There was talk on a local facebook page about how the conspiracy nuts will probably come out in force. NASA will begin sonic boom tests on that same day. We were taking bets on how many calls police and other emergency services will have to handle about the darkness combined with the strange noises.  :lol:

ETA: Sonic booms aren't a novelty around here. We heard them regularly when the shuttle landed at Kennedy Space Center, and we hear them now (though not as loud) when SpaceX lands their boosters. But there are still people who post on the local page asking what that loud boom was, so when sonic booms are added to the darkness there will surely be panic among some people.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

We are in a small town in the path of totality that is expecting an influx of visitors. Dh took the day off of work as he has a 40 minute commute on a good day. I am grateful to just walk outside to observe it but I will be glad when it is over. We have a couple activities scheduled for the late afternoon (1-2 hours after it is over) and I am waiting to see if traffic will keep us home.

A little concerned about eye safety but we have approved glasses and my youngest is a compliant 9 yo. I am glad we will be home and I assume we will go about our business and just go out and peek now and then during the partial phases. None of us have the attention span to sit outside and look at it for a couple hours.

I'm glad we'll get to experience it but will be relieved when it is over.

We plan to just watch it with my iPad selfie camera. Stand with your back to the sun, turn on the selfie camera and watch on your iPad screen.

I just found out my Dad, uncle and cousin are driving to see it. I told my kids, "Grandpa is driving to see the major traffic jam".

Eldest just told me we should play the board game eclipse on Monday. (It has nothing to do with an eclipse, other than the name)

• Like 4

I haven't seen/heard much about it at all except here at WTM. It was being discussed a little at the nail salon Wednesday when I got a pedicure. Mostly we were all talking about how our 86% coverage should arrive just about the time of our daily afternoon thunderstorms and it probably won't look much different than a dark, stormy summer day.

Schools will keep kids indoors and are either rescheduling or moving all planned outdoor activities indoors. The theory is there's always that one kid who looks when you say don't look. It's a CYA move by the school system. They're also automatically excusing all absences that day so parents can keep the kids home if they choose to.

There was talk on a local facebook page about how the conspiracy nuts will probably come out in force. NASA will begin sonic boom tests on that same day. We were taking bets on how many calls police and other emergency services will have to handle about the darkness combined with the strange noises. :lol:

ETA: Sonic booms aren't a novelty around here. We heard them regularly when the shuttle landed at Kennedy Space Center, and we hear them now (though not as loud) when SpaceX lands their boosters. But there are still people who post on the local page asking what that loud boom was, so when sonic booms are added to the darkness there will surely be panic among some people.

You still hear sonic booms? Along with this eclipse https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_July_20,_1963, sonic booms are another memory from early childhood.

I remember the eclipse in the 70's.  I remember watching it.  And I remember thinking the whole thing was really boring.  So all I can do is shake my head at the media hype. A fellow homeschooler from my church (whose kids are only 5) is so excited about it and was sharing with me how they are traveling 6 hours away and spending the weekend so the kids can see it. and I'm like oh when is the eclipse?  We might peek out the window but that is the extent of my acknowledgement of the event.  Like I said I've seen it before it wasn't worth the effort then and it's not now either.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

We have so much going on that I just can't dredge up the energy to care about it. I told the kids they could make pinhole boxes if they want. So they are puttering about doing that all on their own.

I just don't find it all that exciting. It's a big shadow. Or in this case, a small shadow or a shadow as view from in a shoe box.

It's all rather anticlimactic to me.

Maybe details from an observatory would be quite fun, but otherwise once I know the world isn't ending or the Virgin Mary isn't showing up, I'd rather spend the time knitting.

• Like 1

I remember the eclipse in the 70's.  I remember watching it.  And I remember thinking the whole thing was really boring.  So all I can do is shake my head at the media hype. A fellow homeschooler from my church (whose kids are only 5) is so excited about it and was sharing with me how they are traveling 6 hours away and spending the weekend so the kids can see it. and I'm like oh when is the eclipse?  We might peek out the window but that is the extent of my acknowledgement of the event.  Like I said I've seen it before it wasn't worth the effort then and it's not now either.

I remember the one in 1970. We had a little over 90% coverage here IIRC and I wasn't impressed. I was a teenager at the time so of course it took a lot to impress me :D but I would have thought if anything could do it, a nearly total solar eclipse would be near the top of the list. Nope.

It's all rather anticlimactic to me.

That's the word I'd use to describe how I feel about it. Anticlimactic. If someone is excited and wants to watch it, even travel to the path of totality, I'll be happy for them. But if I was invited to go with them, I'd say thanks but no thanks.

• Like 2

I think one reason I'm not excited is because where I live we get a lot of very dark days (like today).  It's almost as dark as dusk.  So whoopie, another dark moment in the day.  Nothing special.

Yeah, our forecast for Monday is mostly cloudy with a 60% chance of thunderstorms, so I wonder if the eclipse will even be that noticeable.

I did laugh when I saw the FB post going around about leaving your pets inside. What about the wild animals? Are great numbers of wild animals going to go blind? It's just hilarious. The universe has been doing this for how long?

In 1984 our teachers took us outside to see the eclipse. They of course told us not to look at the sun. We of course did take peeks at the sun. Whatever. I'm at a 99% location. I plan to be outside for several hours. I'm kind of excited and it's going to be fun!

My dh, when I read this to him: "Dang it! We misssd our chance to set up a Foundation."