Menu

What's with the ads?

rose

How many children do you have?

Children  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How many children do you have?

Just curious. I wonder how we all compare to the societies around us. The fertility thread made me realise just how many large families are on this board. No obligatory other this time unless someone can suggest a really compelling reason why. Oh and, unborn babies count as children in my world.

I said 4, which includes my daughter who died at birth. 3 that I have the priviledge of raising.

• Like 9

One.  He just graduated from homeschool.   :001_smile: 

• Like 1

Six. One lovely daughter and four adorable sons who live with me, and one precious tiny brother who lives with Jesus. (And I sincerely hope for one more.)

I am sorry so many of you are members of this same club but glad I'm not alone.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 4

Approximately one, two and none.

I wonder when I'm going to stop panicking when people ask me that.

My heart cries for you. I cannot fathom the mother pain.
  • Like 8

:grouphug: Rosie

:grouphug: Quill

:grouphug: Linda

:grouphug: happypamama

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 6

I only have six, plus some miscarriages. Still on the fence as to whether we want more in a few years, since I'm still very young. All the health stuff is still up in the air but it looks like, with a perinatologist, I can probably safely have more.

Some days my family feels small but sometimes, like tonight when I was trying to shepherd everyone through Kroger alone, it seems almost unmanageably enormous.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Four. My youngest is a high school senior. It also includes my oldest. forever 31, who died just 3 short months ago.

:grouphug:  you and rosie both.

and anyone else on the board who has lost a child.

I really didn't mean to trigger so many emotions. It didn't even cross my mind that this would be a sensitive question. My apologies.

• Like 7

I really didn't mean to trigger so many emotions. It didn't even cross my mind that this would be a sensitive question. My apologies.

It isn't for me. Answering the question of how many children I have is hard in person because five isn't right, since it leaves out Baby Nate, but six means I might have to discuss Baby Nate when I don't really feel like it. And also, saying six seems unfair to those who have six living children because except for a very few minutes, I've not actually parented six children at once. But here, y'all know me, and I appreciate the chance to count Baby Nate without any hesitation. So, thank you. :)

• Like 16

Four. My youngest is a high school senior. It also includes my oldest. forever 31, who died just 3 short months ago.

I'm so sorry for you and Rosie and others.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

No need to apologise to me.

It isn't for me. Answering the question of how many children I have is hard in person because five isn't right, since it leaves out Baby Nate, but six means I might have to discuss Baby Nate when I don't really feel like it. And also, saying six seems unfair to those who have six living children because except for a very few minutes, I've not actually parented six children at once. But here, y'all know me, and I appreciate the chance to count Baby Nate without any hesitation. So, thank you. :)

Yeah. The difference between the question asked and the questions implied, which isn't a problem here.

I'm trying to train myself to say "it's complicated."

The poll results are different from the norm around here.  I see families with two most commonly.  Three is not that unusual.  Beyond that would make me notice.  Scotland.

• Like 1

Here is the UK.  I make it many more with one child, roughly similar two children, many fewer with more.

ETA: graph wouldn't post.  Here's the source in figure 2:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2016#things-you-need-to-know

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Really, the question is so much harder in real life. And when you have lost a child it is a question that gives you pause, but it is such a normal question, one I never thought about until the end of May. No need to apologize.

• Like 5

I said 5.

My 7 year old passed away last year, so 4 living.

It "is" a complicated question, but gets asked all the time. No one is trying to be insensitive & I know that. But still, I'm never sure how to answer.

Two bio, 3 adopted from foster care.

• Like 4

Two. The plan was originally to have just one. Apparently you can't pick and choose how many you get at one time ;) :) And I wouldn't have it any other way!