Menu

So why is the Monday after your college student's weekend visit so difficult??

ER was home for the weekend and we all had a great time together. His college is "only" a couple of hours away, but he hadn't been home in a month. (Music majors are very busy, even on weekends.) It has been a difficult adjustment for me since he went to college, but I think I am s-l-o-w-l-y getting there. Last week wasn't too bad overall. But today I am feeling blue. I miss him so much!

:grouphug: I don't know. I actually have an opposite problem.

I wish I knew why the weekend is so hard on us when music major dd DOES come home. She doesn't come home much- for the same reasons. Between music theory, music history, and aural skills homework plus other academic classes, orchestra rehearsals and concerts, practice time, and recital attendance, dd just can't really get home much. Plus when she did have fall break she flew out-of-state to visit with a friend and her sister. I was lucky that I did get to visit with her in the car on the way to the airport that weekend!

In any case, when she's here it just seems like she's so grumpy and doesn't want to participate in family activities or go to church. Last night I ended up feeling so steamed that I spent 8 hours out of my weekend providing transportation for her to get home only to have her complain that she didn't have time to go visit with extended family and see her grandfather who is leaving for AZ for the winter. She did relent and go but golly, I could have done without the complaints!

I think she does want to be home. I also think she just gets a little stressed when she tries to think about how she's going to also get her homework done.

So glad to hear that you've had a nice weekend. Missing our children is a good thing. It means we are connected. It does get easier as time goes on, having them away. My oldest now lives 1200+ miles away. That's hard! I last saw her in May just after her wedding. She and her dh are coming back for Christmas. After that who knows when we'll see them? Good thing for Sprint mobile-to-mobile minutes!

Missing our children is a good thing. It means we are connected.

Exactly what dh says! I agree. He misses us too. I think that's part of the problem -- ER's feeling a bit homesick. And of course, overwhelmed about ALL. THAT. STUFF. that music majors have to do! (Practice, rehearsals, performances, more rehearsals, recital attendance, more rehearsals... I'm sure you and your dd can relate!)

Good thing for Sprint mobile-to-mobile minutes!

We have Verizon, but yes, free mobile-to-mobile is great! And unlimited texting too!

Exactly what dh says! I agree. He misses us too. I think that's part of the problem -- ER's feeling a bit homesick. And of course, overwhelmed about ALL. THAT. STUFF. that music majors have to do! (Practice, rehearsals, performances, more rehearsals, recital attendance, more rehearsals... I'm sure you and your dd can relate!)

This is my daughter's second year. Though she still gets stressed about keeping up with all this activity, it really has become much more second nature to her to stay up on deadlines than it was in her first semester.

I found that my first year college students spent a LOT of time sleeping over winter break. They needed that time to recharge their batteries. My second daughter has learned, earlier than my first child, to budget her time in such a way as to avoid pulling all-nighters. That is helping her outlook on life a lot!