Menu

What's with the ads?

maize

breastfeeding mom, stomach bug, dehydration...

Ugh I was throwing up all night. I hate stomach bugs.

Anyway I am probably over the worst but my stomach is still feeling very tender and I doubt I'm going to be able to eat much today. And yeah I've got diarrhea to go along with everything.

I'm worried about dehydration because I need to keep nursing my three month old. Any great tips on staying hydrated with tummy upset? I don't usually like sweet sports drinks but I know I need electrolytes. Would broth do the trick?

I seem to be keeping water down for now.

Edited by maize

Yes, I'd go with broth if your body can keep it down. Any liquid you can keep down will be beneficial. Drink frequently in small amounts at a time.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

• Like 3

Whatever you can keep down is fine! I had norovirus with a 5 month old. It sucked but of course I fared better than DH. **eyeroll**

SmartWater has some electrolytes but tastes like plain water. Ice chips. If you have someone to drive you, could you get IV fluids if necessary?

• Like 2

So sorry. You must feel miserable! I agree that anything you can keeep down or sounds good to you. Take it slow, just a small sip at a time. Try 1 teaspoon of liquid every few minutes.

If you can't keep it down, then I would suggest going to ER for fluids.

• Like 1

you probably need more than just water so you can replace electrolytes.

gatorade -which has a lot of added sugar

coconut water. my dr told that in the pacific during the war, when they didn't have ringers, they'd stick a tube in the coconut and the other end directly into the patient.  the proportions of electrolytes are the same.  and it's sterile

eta: if you do coconut water - but sure it's straight coconut water.   but you want something that has the electrolytes.  I've had times I wouldn't recover until they'd been replaced.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1