Menu

Anyone want to talk baby names?

Elizabeth86

I am horrible at deciding, so I'm starting now.

Our oldest is Samuel Gordon - Samuel is my style of name. Gordon is to honor a family member that passed on.

Our second is Henry Oliver. Henry is actually a family name, but chosen at random by dh. Def. more his style. Oliver I just liked it.

Our third is Audrey Celia. Audrey is mine and dhs style. Celia was my grandmas name and also just a name I would like anyway.

With this one, the only family name we are considering is Frank for a middle name only. Bonus points if the name starts with an N to continue a subtle theme, but I cant really think of anything I like except Nina. Nathaniel and Nora are out due to close family and friends.

How about Nigel for a boy and Noelle for a girl?

I love the suggestion of Nigel! I was going to suggest "Ned" or "Neville" to go with Samuel, Henry, & Audrey. 

And "Nina" is the first girl name that sprung to mind. It's super sweet for a little girl but would also grow up beautifully, as your daughter does. 

Other "N" names:

Nicolas 

Nelson

Niles / Niall / Neil / Niels

Norris

Nadine

Nadia

Nettie (from Annette?)

Nell / Nellie (from Penelope?)

Non-"N" names:

Leo

Theodore / Theo / Ted

Gideon

Owen

Elise / Elyse / Eliza

Virginia

Hazel

Sadie

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I just delivered a surprise baby and the naming was fun since I thought those days were over.  :thumbup:

I love the suggestion of Nigel! I was going to suggest "Ned" or "Neville" to go with Samuel, Henry, & Audrey.

And "Nina" is the first girl name that sprung to mind. It's super sweet for a little girl but would also grow up beautifully, as your daughter does.

Other "N" names:

Nicolas

Nelson

Niles / Niall / Neil / Niels

Norris

Nadine

Nadia

Nettie (from Annette?)

Nell / Nellie (from Penelope?)

Non-"N" names:

Leo

Theodore / Theo / Ted

Gideon

Owen

Elise / Elyse / Eliza

Virginia

Hazel

Sadie

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I just delivered a surprise baby and the naming was fun since I thought those days were over. :thumbup:

Aww congrats. This one was a bit of a surprise. We were just trying to guess and avoid ovulation, but it turns out I ovulated on day 30. Oops. It was my first cycle back after having dd due to breastfeeding.

I am horrible at deciding, so I'm starting now.

Our oldest is Samuel Gordon - Samuel is my style of name. Gordon is to honor a family member that passed on.

Our second is Henry Oliver. Henry is actually a family name, but chosen at random by dh. Def. more his style. Oliver I just liked it.

Our third is Audrey Celia. Audrey is mine and dhs style. Celia was my grandmas name and also just a name I would like anyway.

With this one, the only family name we are considering is Frank for a middle name only. Bonus points if the name starts with an N to continue a subtle theme, but I cant really think of anything I like except Nina. Nathaniel and Nora are out due to close family and friends.

What is the theme?

I am currently stuck on Violet for a girl. Meadowlark was kind enough to indulge me since my IRL friend would not.

• Like 1

Maybe Penelope and Nellie for short?

Nola

Noemi

I went to grad school with a girl named Naphtali which is typically a male biblical name but worked on her.

Nehemiah is a boys n name that comes to mind.

I always thought Noemi was a pretty name for a girl, but the only woman I know with that name hates it because everyone calls her Naomi -- and more than a few people have told her that she is mispronouncing and/or misspelling her own name because "there's no such name as Noemi." :svengo:

• Like 1

What is the theme?

I am currently stuck on Violet for a girl. Meadowlark was kind enough to indulge me since my IRL friend would not.

The theme was a complete accident and we only noticed last year, bute if you take the first letter of our kids names order you get S H A and then if we have to more N and E you get dh's name. This of course if we have 5 so who knows really.

• Like 2

Funny N name story--

I had a male co-worker named Noel, pronounced Nole with a long O.

As a child, he made up an alter ego to blame for mischief and for stories. Alter ego's name is Yesel. 

Get it?  No + el = Noel            and               Yes + el = Yesel.              :lol:

And to continue the hilarity, I learned of Yesel's existence when Noel made a really official nameplate for Yesel and added it to the entrance of his work-group space. I totally thought Yesel was a new employee. I had a question for Noel one day as he was dashing out, and he told me to ask Yesel. I spent much of that week wondering about the reclusive and mysterious Yesel before learning the truth.

Kinda like that MASH episode with Captain Tuttle. :smilielol5:

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2

Funny N name story--

I had a male co-worker named Noel, pronounced Nole with a long O.

As a child, he made up an alter ego to blame for mischief and for stories. Alter ego's name is Yesel.

Get it? No + el = Noel and Yes + el = Yesel. :lol:

And to continue the hilarity, I learned of Yesel's existence when Noel made a really official nameplate for Yesel and added it to the entrance of his work-group space. I totally thought Yesel was a new employee. I had a question for Noel one day as he was dashing out, and he told me to ask Yesel. I spent much of that week wondering about the reclusive and mysterious Yesel before learning the truth.

Kinda like that MASH episode with Captain Tuttle. :smilielol5:

Omg thats so funny.

For a boy, though it doesn't start with an N, but it sounds good with your other names: Gabriel (Gabe). I like Francis or Franklin better than Frank, because Frank has such an abrupt ending--but that depends on how it flows into your last name, of course (mainly number of syllables). Gabriel Francis. For N, I do like Nicholas. Nicholas Franklin. I like several of the girls' names PPs have listed.

I always thought Noemi was a pretty name for a girl, but the only woman I know with that name hates it because everyone calls her Naomi -- and more than a few people have told her that she is mispronouncing and/or misspelling her own name because "there's no such name as Noemi." :svengo:

I have never heard of Noemi. How is it pronounced?

For a boy, though it doesn't start with an N, but it sounds good with your other names: Gabriel (Gabe). I like Francis or Franklin better than Frank, because Frank has such an abrupt ending--but that depends on how it flows into your last name, of course (mainly number of syllables). Gabriel Francis. For N, I do like Nicholas. Nicholas Franklin. I like several of the girls' names PPs have listed.

Yeah it has to be Frank. My dead brother was not Franklin or Francis, so that does not honor him at all.

I do like Nina  :hurray:

I took ages to decide mine as well - went in to 3 out of 4 births still with quite long lists (and that's with each child having 3 given names...). I use behindthename to keep a name list though it's mainly for story writing now. The ones I think kinda match with the others (so not Nova or Nikifor) that I haven't spotted on the other lists are:

Naira

Nerissa

Nita

Noble...which likely would not work with Frank (for us this was a second name option as all of ours follow my family tradition of 'localish name, religious/virtue name, honouring name, surname with occasional extra names added particularly when misbehaving). 

I do know a little Franklin who is named after his grandfather who everyone called Frank but whose legal name was Francis. The boy calls himself Frank now too...  :lol:

Edited by SporkUK

Girl N names:

Noelle

Noreen

Nichol (Nichole) (Nicholle)

Natalie

Naomi

Nancy

(if you don't mind more unusual: a friend of mine is named Neda, and another friend just had twin girl and one is named Nala)

Boy N names:

Nathan

Nolan

Nicholas

Nathaniel

Noah

Edited by Lori D.

Edward Frank  called Ned for short gives you an N and an E to complete Shane.  To me Edward goes very nicely with Frank and also with Samuel and Henry.

Norman Frank, Nathan Frank

Nina seems fine to me for a girl.  Though I also like Nell.