Menu

You know you live in the south when. . .

Pegasus

when items have different names- instead of shopping cart, it is called a buggy at least in this part of the South. As to sweet tea, I see it changing. Yes, people drink sweet tea but more and more drink unsweet with either adding nothing to it (like we do) or adding artificial sweeteners. In the last year, I have seen people in two different groups get the amounts of sweet versus unsweet wrong. In both cases, more unsweet was partaken than sweet.

• Like 1

when items have different names- instead of shopping cart, it is called a buggy at least in this part of the South. As to sweet tea, I see it changing. Yes, people drink sweet tea but more and more drink unsweet with either adding nothing to it (like we do) or adding artificial sweeteners. In the last year, I have seen people in two different groups get the amounts of sweet versus unsweet wrong. In both cases, more unsweet was partaken than sweet.

Dh and I have noticed the tea thing changing as well. When we lived in MS tea was automatically sweet, as in, if you ordered tea without specifying what kind you'd get sweet. You had to ask specifically for unsweet if that's what you wanted. After that we lived in TX where tea was automatically unsweet. Then we moved to AR; if you ordered tea you were asked if you wanted sweet or unsweet. Maybe AR was halfway between sweet and unsweet country or maybe they were just ahead of the game by then (late 90s). But now we're in GA and it's standard to be asked sweet or unsweet if you order tea.

As to sweet tea, I see it changing. Yes, people drink sweet tea but more and more drink unsweet with either adding nothing to it (like we do) or adding artificial sweeteners. In the last year, I have seen people in two different groups get the amounts of sweet versus unsweet wrong. In both cases, more unsweet was partaken than sweet.

Dh and I have noticed the tea thing changing as well. When we lived in MS tea was automatically sweet, as in, if you ordered tea without specifying what kind you'd get sweet. You had to ask specifically for unsweet if that's what you wanted. After that we lived in TX where tea was automatically unsweet. Then we moved to AR; if you ordered tea you were asked if you wanted sweet or unsweet. Maybe AR was halfway between sweet and unsweet country or maybe they were just ahead of the game by then (late 90s). But now we're in GA and it's standard to be asked sweet or unsweet if you order tea.

There's also a difference between iced tea and hot tea. In most of the south if you order tea, you'll get iced tea. If you want it hot you have to specify hot tea. In the north it's just the opposite. 

• Like 1

There's also a difference between iced tea and hot tea. In most of the south if you order tea, you'll get iced tea. If you want it hot you have to specify hot tea. In the north it's just the opposite. 

One time relatives from out of state came over to throw a party for my grandma. They had planned on serving coffee and hot tea. We said are you crazy? No one wants a hot drink in the middle of Miss. heat. Dh proposed sweet and unsweet tea. His mom made some batches for us that we put in those coolers with the spout. It seemed to go over well. Can't imagine if we had just had the other.

• Like 2

One time relatives from out of state came over to throw a party for my grandma. They had planned on serving coffee and hot tea. We said are you crazy? No one wants a hot drink in the middle of Miss. heat. Dh proposed sweet and unsweet tea. His mom made some batches for us that we put in those coolers with the spout. It seemed to go over well. Can't imagine if we had just had the other.

Here in AZ it's over 100 degrees for about about 5 months.  It's in the 90s for a couple more.  We drink hot coffee year round. It's usually available at all social gatherings.  I drink hot tea year round.

You have to specify hot tea here too.  Here iced tea comes unsweetened, but there are sugar packets available at most tables and counters because some people want it sweet.

Here in AZ it's over 100 degrees for about about 5 months.  It's in the 90s for a couple more.  We drink hot coffee year round. It's usually available at all social gatherings.  I drink hot tea year round.

I've lived in AZ. It's a different kind of heat. It's really the humidity that kills you here. But I don't drink coffee at all, or tea for that matter unless I'm sick and it's hot tea. Just based on our observations people would be looking for the iced tea and not be particularly interested in hot coffee around here, unless it was like a breakfast gathering.