Menu

X-post: Thoughts on Corban University

charlotteb

Corban has not had a strong reputation for academics in the region, though I met with a professor there a few years ago who said the newish administration was trying to work on this. I also met a couple of Corbin seniors about 4 or 5 years ago, who gave the impression that they had not learned much during their education. This is a small sample size though. They have allocated a fair ,amount of money for a leadership program, which might be interesting. The college is very small, even for a small Christian college, and very conservative, including a position about literal creationism in their statement of faith which limits their pool of faculty. My impression is that this also is negative for teaching in the sciences. It might be a good fit for someone seeking a conservative christian ministry type degree with a Baptist flavor. It also is probably competitive on cost with other Christian colleges in the PNW. If someone is looking for a general Christian liberal arts experience, I would not rate it that highly on my admittedly limited experience. However, many of the stronger academic Christian colleges in the region (George Fox, Seattle Pacific) have become inordinately expensive, which I know is a concern. I would strongly recommend asking about outcomes of students in the anticipated major as well as accreditation if interested in something like social work or ed.