Menu

Do we have a Game of Thrones social group?--many spoilers

Moxie

I know! I read the interview and thought, "Have you met many fantasy fans?" I've heard many authors say they just got to the series wiki to review timelines and character histories, because their fans know them better.

On Facebook, Diana Gabaldon just asked her fans to note any errors in one of her books. Within minutes, the post was filled with people commenting (and arguing) over inconsistencies and mistakes.

My thought was - if you knew it was dodgy, why the heck didn't you just fix it?  It didn't make it better that people had to think about it.

• Like 3

I was out of town visiting family, but I finally got to watch the episode. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Beyond some of the timing issues, there were some other weird things I didn't understand. For instance...

The chains. I know it's a mystery where they came from, but, how in the heck did they get the chains on the dragon? The dragon was in the water, and wights don't like water, so.....??

I thought Jon calling Daenerys "Dany" felt strange. Like, why did he do that? Her icky brother was the last one to call her that, so I didn't find it endearing at all. Plus, I'm getting vibes that she likes him, but I'm not seeing the same vibes from him towards her. I know that's what's supposed to be happening, but I'm just not feeling it from Jon.

It was cool how they revealed that killing a white walker kills the wights it created. However, how convenient was it that the first small group of white walker/wights they came across had ONE wight that wasn't created by that white walker?

I don't understand the Arya/Sansa arguments. I guess they're setting up Littlefinger somehow, but he's never been around when they are actually arguing, so it's weird to me.

Because I was so late to watch the episode I knew Viserion was going to die, but I was still really shocked watching it. That part was really well done. I almost cried when he slid from the ice down in to the water. I also really enjoyed the banter and conversations between the guys on the way to their mission.

I'm starting to really not understand the shortened season. It just seems like there are so many things left unexplained or left offscreen. I still love the show, but it's getting frustrating.

Edited by Vintage81

I was out of town visiting family, but I finally got to watch the episode. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Beyond some of the timing issues, there were some other weird things I didn't understand. For instance...

The chains. I know it's a mystery where they came from, but, how in the heck did they get the chains on the dragon? The dragon was in the water, and wights don't like water, so.....??

I thought Jon calling Daenerys "Dany" felt strange. Like, why did he do that? Her icky brother was the last one to call her that, so I didn't find it endearing at all. Plus, I'm getting vibes that she likes him, but I'm not seeing the same vibes from him towards her. I know that's what's supposed to be happening, but I'm just not feeling it from Jon.

It was cool how they revealed that killing a white walker kills the wights it created. However, how convenient was it that the first small group of white walker/wights they came across had ONE wight that wasn't created by that white walker?

I don't understand the Arya/Sansa arguments. I guess they're setting up Littlefinger somehow, but he's never been around when they are actually arguing, so it's weird to me.

Because I was so late to watch the episode I knew Viserion was going to die, but I was still really shocked watching it. That part was really well done. I almost cried when he slid from the ice down in to the water. I also really enjoyed the banter and conversations between the guys on the way to their mission.

I'm starting to really not understand the shortened season. It just seems like there are so many things left unexplained or left offscreen. I still love the show, but it's getting frustrating.

The chains I suppose could have come from the port where they had that other big battle.  It seems odd that they would carry them across the North, but it's not impossible.

The one wight that just happened to be left was very convenient, I agree.  Kind of right up there with the unnamed guys in the group whose only function was to die.  The banter I had mixed feelings about - on the one hand I enjoyed it.  On the other, I feel a bit like they have reduced some of the characters to a bit of a cardboard cut out "oh it's the hound, let's make him say ^%$# and everyone will laugh".  Though the parts with Beric and Jon, and torah and Jon, were good.

I can't tell if the problem with the romance thing is mainly a lack of chemistry with the actors, or what.  I don't hate Kit Harrington, but I wouldn't say he was the strongest actor on the show.  Or maybe we just needed more time with them?

I think some of the stuff with the dragons this year has been really strong.  Unfortunately, it also likely accounts for the short season and lack of Ghost as well - it just eats up the budget and time.  I wonder if the time thing hasn't been a factor with the Sansa/Arya plot as well.  But it does seem like there is something else going on there.

That being said, I've felt for a while that there is something a bit "off" about the faceless man thing.  It feels a little forced somehow.  It raises a lot of questions that seem to need answers I don't think we'll be given.  Also - the faces in the bag looked like they were totally made of latex.

One thing I've missed in this season is I think similar to your thoughts - I've always had the sense that apart from the plot driven aspect of the story, and even the moral tale, there is a kind of metaphysical underpinning, particularly of the fantasy element.  Why are the seasons, like that, why did magic and dragons disappear, why did they come back and so on.  These seemed to be important somehow to the purpose of the story.  I expected Sam to get into some of these questions this season at the Citadel.

Now though I kind of wonder if they are going to address them at all - next season is going to be even shorter, and it's going to be late in the game to introduce much that is new.

One thing I've missed in this season is I think similar to your thoughts - I've always had the sense that apart from the plot driven aspect of the story, and even the moral tale, there is a kind of metaphysical underpinning, particularly of the fantasy element.  Why are the seasons, like that, why did magic and dragons disappear, why did they come back and so on.  These seemed to be important somehow to the purpose of the story.  I expected Sam to get into some of these questions this season at the Citadel.

Now though I kind of wonder if they are going to address them at all - next season is going to be even shorter, and it's going to be late in the game to introduce much that is new.

I forgot to mention Sam....and Bran! Where the heck is Bran? They could've had 10 episodes this season by filling in stuff with Sam at the Citadel and Bran doing his Three-Eyed Raven thing. The two of them probably hold the key to SO MUCH information that it's crazy they're not being utilized more this season. 

It's really disappointing they haven't shown us more of Bran's capabilities. That one small scene with him and Littlefinger was awesome (the "chaos is a ladder" comment). And last season, the whole thing with Hodor was really cool. I assumed it meant that Bran could go into the past and change the future, but they've never addressed it again. So, will he do it again? How does that relate to the Night King? Why hasn't he told anyone what he probably knows about Jon? Ugh.....I have so many questions and I'm starting to lose hope that they'll be answered. I hope I'm wrong, but six episodes (seven including this season's finale) to resolve who gets the iron throne, who wins between the living and the dead, who lives and who dies, who's related to who, who marries who, etc, etc. It's a LOT to cover in a small amount of time. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention Sam....and Bran! Where the heck is Bran? They could've had 10 episodes this season by filling in stuff with Sam at the Citadel and Bran doing his Three-Eyed Raven thing. The two of them probably hold the key to SO MUCH information that it's crazy they're not being utilized more this season. 

It's really disappointing they haven't shown us more of Bran's capabilities. That one small scene with him and Littlefinger was awesome (the "chaos is a ladder" comment). And last season, the whole thing with Hodor was really cool. I assumed it meant that Bran could go into the past and change the future, but they've never addressed it again. So, will he do it again? How does that relate to the Night King? Why hasn't he told anyone what he probably knows about Jon? Ugh.....I have so many questions and I'm starting to lose hope that they'll be answered. I hope I'm wrong, but six episodes to resolve who gets the iron throne, who wins between the living and the dead, who lives and who dies, who's related to who, who marries who, etc, etc. It's a LOT to cover in a small amount of time. 

I think Bran has become very detached from the present.

Though - part of the issue might be that there isn't much for him to do at Winterfell.  I think his being there is one area where they will diverge from the book, since in the book he is physically attached to the big weir wood tree above the Wall - he won't be able to leave.

It could be that they mainly moved him to Winterfell to simplify the narrative - to have most of the people grouped together.  Not because there is any real need for him to be there physically.

I did enjoy the conversations on the trek beyond the wall..Tormund and the Hound discussing Brienne..

That was a nice bit of comic relief. Dh and I laughed through that conversation. 

Add me to the list of people who shook their head over the chains. Nothing around for miles and suddenly we have chains large enough to pull a dragon out of the water. Hmmm.

Jon and Daenerys - I don't understand why Jon decided to bend the knee. Because she came when he called? Because she has dragons? It seemed as out of place as him calling her Dany. I think we were supposed to see a growing attraction between them but it just isn't there. I don't see an onscreen chemistry between the actors, and that I think makes it difficult. They don't have to be attracted irl, but they have to be able to act like they are. Neither Harrington nor Clarke seem to have been able to do that. You could feel the tension between Dany and Ser Jorah with his unrequited love. You could feel it between Jon and Ygritte. There isn't any tension, sexual or otherwise, between Jon and Dany.

I'm tired of both Arya and Sansa. Arya needs to stop with the Edmund Dantes-like need for revenge and grow up. Sansa needs to stop being her own worst enemy.

I'm curious how much of a cliffhanger we'll see in this last episode. I actually liked the ending of Season 6 because it gave hope. All that hope is gone now this season.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I'm curious how much of a cliffhanger we'll see in this last episode. I actually liked the ending of Season 6 because it gave hope. All that hope is gone now this season.

My guess is that the final scene of this season will be The Wall coming down...which should be pretty fantastic.  I mean, the thing is huge, I can't even imagine the sight, sound, and feel of something that massive collapsing..I hope they feel it the way down to King's Landing..I want to see Cersei's face when she realizes what it is :).

Jon and Daenerys - I don't understand why Jon decided to bend the knee. Because she came when he called? Because she has dragons? It seemed as out of place as him calling her Dany. 

I think Jon "bent the knee" because of a few things - First, what Dany asked him in the cave ("Isn't everyone's survival more important than your pride?") was the exact same thing Jon said to Mance Rayder before Stannis burned Mance. Then, when the group was walking to get the wight, Tormund said to Jon that many wildings died because of Mance's pride. I think those two reminders of people's lives being more important than any one person's pride, along with Dany's willingness to risk her life (and the lives of her dragons), are what changed his mind on bending the knee. I still think the whole thing is kind of dumb and they should've both mutually agreed it didn't matter because there are obviously bigger problems that need solving, but whatever. 

I agree about this season not feeling as hopeful as last season. I'm kind of nervous how the show will end. GRRM has said the ending will be bittersweet, but that could mean so many different things!  :unsure:

• Like 1

I think Jon "bent the knee" because of a few things - First, what Dany asked him in the cave ("Isn't everyone's survival more important than your pride?") was the exact same thing Jon said to Mance Rayder before Stannis burned Mance. Then, when the group was walking to get the wight, Tormund said to Jon that many wildings died because of Mance's pride. I think those two reminders of people's lives being more important than any one person's pride, along with Dany's willingness to risk her life (and the lives of her dragons), are what changed his mind on bending the knee. I still think the whole thing is kind of dumb and they should've both mutually agreed it didn't matter because there are obviously bigger problems that need solving, but whatever. 

I agree about this season not feeling as hopeful as last season. I'm kind of nervous how the show will end. GRRM has said the ending will be bittersweet, but that could mean so many different things!  :unsure:

But Dany's pride seems pretty important to her. Which would make Jon the better person. Not necessarily the better ruler, but the better person.

Whew..those last two episodes were pretty fantastic! :)  I DID NOT LIKE the look Tyrion had on his face after his meeting with Cersei and also at the end of the show on the boat.  I found it odd that they cut the conversation with Cersei right after Tryion realizes she's pregnant and we never get to find out how he managed to convince her to say she was sending her troops north.  I have a bad feeling that after the pregnancy revelation he brokered some kind of deal with her to ensure the survival of the Lannister house and if that's so that means he's betrayed Dany.  Did he tell her to lie about sending her troops north?  Did he promise her that her child would be heir to the throne since he is assuming Dany can't have any children of her own?  Whatever it is I don't like it.

• Like 2

Whew..those last two episodes were pretty fantastic! :)  I DID NOT LIKE the look Tyrion had on his face after his meeting with Cersei and also at the end of the show on the boat.  I found it odd that they cut the conversation with Cersei right after Tryion realizes she's pregnant and we never get to find out how he managed to convince her to say she was sending her troops north.  I have a bad feeling that after the pregnancy revelation he brokered some kind of deal with her to ensure the survival of the Lannister house and if that's so that means he's betrayed Dany.  Did he tell her to lie about sending her troops north?  Did he promise her that her child would be heir to the throne since he is assuming Dany can't have any children of her own?  Whatever it is I don't like it.

I think she managed to convince him that she wasn't lying *because* he *thinks* she is pregnant. He thinks she has some sort of investment in the future and will be making decisions based on that.

The prophecy said she would have three children, I don't know that she is lying but there is quite a lot that could happen to prevent her having the baby.

I am not sure what Tyrion's face was about on the boat, he's probably imagining several complications and bad things that have happened to other couples, "in love," it doesn't have a good track record.